Painting KS2 (and KS6) cavern dwarvenite to match resin caverns?

LorriZ
Kobold
Kobold

Re: Painting KS2 (and KS6) cavern dwarvenite to match resin caverns?

Post by LorriZ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:49 am

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:44 am

Here is a post where Runeweaver was discussing colors used:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6997&p=91007&#p91010

Here is another thread where they used Vallejo paints:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6367&p=79759

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:38 pm

cool, thanks.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:30 pm

Glidden diamond house paint sample Glazed Ginger with a Brook green light dry brush. About 10 minutes time.
I use a flat soft one inch brush to over brush the Glazed Ginger. I used a very light dry brush of Brook Green. It is almost white and a eggshell finish.

The same colors over black primer are much darker.

The dark base color is needed for painting hydrocal. Paint over the base dwarvenite with the ginger.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

LorriZ
Kobold
Kobold

Post by LorriZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:03 pm

Yes, I painted mine to match my resin sets (which, technically, do not completely match). I used the Pokorney paints: earthstone, cardboard, cavern dry brush, and stone edge dry brush. And, I used the painting to actually work on two separate projects. The first was to paint my KS2 cavern pieces, and the other was to fill in the bow tie slots on my old cavern pieces. So, I guess I technically worked on them both to match each other.

First, I painted the KS2 pieces, and used the same method as Stefan shows in the youtube cavern painting tutorial.

Second, I filled in the bow tie slots in my resin cavern pieces with green stuff, and tried to make it look stone-like. When that dried, I dabbed some Pokorny Base Gray on the resin. When that dried, I dry brushed the piece with the Cavern Dry Brush color.

Third, I dry brushed both the KS2 pieces and the old resin cavern pieces with the Stone Edge Dry Brush. It really livened up the old resin pieces.

that resulted in the following:

If I go back and work on the project again, I might add some of the cardboard and earthstone stones to the old resin pieces while I am in the process. I like the colors on the new tiles better.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Painting KS2 (and KS6) cavern dwarvenite to match resin caverns?

Post by pacarat » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:38 pm

I have some (well, alot) extra KS2 caverns I want to paint up to match the resin lake cavern sets I have. (all the painted dwarvenite caverns I have done are a custom scheme that doesnt match the resin paint job)

Has anyone done any painting of KS2 cavern dwarvenite pieces to match their resin caverns?

If so, curious to the colors, paint used, etc.

I plant to do a couple three sets of the KS2 to use with my resin, and then do some transition pieces as well. When KS arrives would then do some of thise as well.

TIA...