KS6 Launch Date

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KS6 Launch Date

Post by Oldent » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:23 pm

I decided not to go to Gencon this year. I can't do the walking.I was thinking I could take a chair walker.I am afraid that a walker will not be practical in that big a crowd. The good thing will be that I can spend the money I save on the KS. Take lots of photos.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Nate- thanks for the update. Hey, it takes as long as it takes. I'm not worried about trying to get back onto a predictable schedule by the calendar. I say bring on the KSs as they develop. One thing though, this year would have been easier to swallow if you tacked on one month to the estimated CNY so we didn't think we could avoid that. If there's really no way of getting around it, then let's plan for it and then we're still on schedule or even, dare I say, possible ahead of schedule for next KS? I would rather be given an over estimate of the shipping date and be pleasantly surprised then start with the optimistic date and be disappointed by delay. The Reaper KS this year gave a deliver estimate of like, 14 months if I remember correctly. I know you are all working very hard to deliver this KS and we all appreciate it. If KS6 resembles KS5, I'll likely be all in. P.S. You know, it's possible to stumble across a Magic Mouth in a cavern setting. Just saying. Or, some ruins. Yeah.
Last edited by Seraphis the Bland on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Post by Phoenix Rising » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:29 pm

I for one will be happy to have an extra month to find spare change in the couch cushions.

WhiskeyandPeaches
Goblin
Goblin

Post by WhiskeyandPeaches » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Nate,

Thanks for the update. This makes sense for all the reasons you mentioned, and I will (not so) patiently wait to see what you've got cooked up for us in July. Count me in for a Cavern of Doom, and thanks in advance for the beans.

While there might be a few DF enthusiasts who will be tapped out from GenCon, I think the opportunity to leverage the publicity to increase the number of KS backers (and overall supporters of DF) is too valuable to pass up. You're also giving us plenty of time to allocate our resources and save appropriately.

Good luck organizing the Herculean effort of shipping KS5 and of course on all the team's work on KS6!

gdmcbride
Goblin
Goblin

Post by gdmcbride » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:42 pm

Oh great and benevolent Mohawked one,

As a Dungeon of Doom purchaser, I have no problem with this time frame.

As long as I can get a variety of cool dwarvenite glowing mushrooms, that is.

G

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Post by Phoenix Rising » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:13 pm

Nate,

How would this affect production schedules? KSV ran into CNY pretty hard; starting KSVI a month later would seem to guarantee not being able to catch up for a potential KS next year...

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:03 pm

I am really not sure this is a good idea. Looks like you are setting things up to be a massive fight for your time and for people's dollars.

The DF crew will have a minimum of a week, and probably more to pack up for, do and return from Gencon while the KS is running. I cannot see how both can be done fully at the same time. DF often seems to be trying hard to keep up with the KS even when everyone is in the office.

People, especially those at Gencon, will have KSVI, the resin restock, Gencon itself, and expensive summer trips all competing with each other. That is a lot of potential money drains all at once. And two of those are DF competing with itself.

It just seems like too much here. Does this KS have to be so big you need overa year of development? Closer to fifteen months? I know Ks is the best way to bring in massive dollars, but I am also with William, these KS things seem to be getting too big and DF seems to be not getting them ready when they need to be ready. July just seems like a poor time. April or May would have been far better, if not March.

But if this does happen in July, then please skip a year and do the next one in spring 2020, and try to get on the KSI and KSII schedule again.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Forar80
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Forar80 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Totally understandable, Nate. Thanks for the heads up. I was eagerly looking forward to the June campaign, but having watched plenty of people complain or express concern about running one campaign while the other is delivering (despite 3 previous successful and timely campaigns before #4), this does seem like a reasonable call to make.

While the extra time to save is helpful, at the same time, having it happen immediately post Gencon might test some available finances as well (new and old backers alike, if they're attending the convention), but hopefully it's a net gain either way.

I mean, I can't be the only one who spends a little time recovering from Gencon (in more ways than one). :-P

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:17 pm

I'm very tired of the whole KS thing, wish they could do it in-house.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:15 pm

I think it's a smart move.

Please put me down on a sticky note that I would like to play in a prototype game at Gen Con if possible. :D
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned