Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS6 Launch Date

Post by GODofwar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:34 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:50 am
dice4hire wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:34 am
I will be pretty free from July 25th onward, so I can post a ridiculous amount of times about ridiculous things.
Been doing that for the last 12 months ;)

{In the Patiently Explaining To Lagomorph mode, for which there is no good Emotie...so... :geek: }

There is in English a difference, dear BunRab, between 'posting a ridiculous amount of times about ridiculous things' and simply making ridiculous posts.

<another Bill the Cat awarded>

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, especially KS6
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:31 am

Harneloot wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:36 am
I don't like to post too much on the KS, but I do love reading all the comments (impossible to read them ALL though!)
No,it is not.

<a Bill the Cat your way>

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:30 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:14 am
dice4hire wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:37 pm
The DF KSes are indeed wild rides. I always look forward to them.
.....the DF teams enthusiasm for their product come roaring through - for some reason Nate's voices and sound effects make us laugh a lot.
Or want to strangle him when he has bad news.

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:28 am

kitenerd wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 5:31 pm
zenako wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 pm
The entire ground floor of the 20'x24' addition is the new gaming room.
I am working toward 14x24 - but it requires moving the lot line and the cost of that (just the survey, filing and retitling - the neighbor will trade me land for free) is looking like 16K :(

sometimes i hate CA

I may be forced to shoehorn a game room into 9x19 - which means either a skinny table or no one sits around it ;)
Kitenerd: If that stuff is $16k, consider talking to a retired dirt lawyer...you might be able to just grant one another permanent easements for the traded property. This is usually a LOT cheaper than retitling, and does not require a survey if you use metes and bounds to define the property lines...which, in a residential area, could be based on structural elements of the existing houses. These unlike trees and streams are unlikely to change in your lifetime!

A good dirt lawyer should cost you under $500 to determine these questions, and registering the easements does NOT require retitling or any of that stuff.

PM me if you have further questions. I cannot offer you legal advcice, I'm not licensed in CA (and CA is crazy nuts about practicing law without a license) but I can point you in the generally right direction.

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:23 am

zenako wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 pm
Or just bite the bullet like I did a decade back and build an addition to the house and stake out a large portion of it for the "gaming room". Get family buy-in by letting them know that this will get all that gaming stuff out of the rest of the house and free those spaces up for other uses. The entire ground floor of the 20'x24' addition is the new gaming room. IF I ever fill that completely up, we got some serious serious issues.

Hmmm, once DoD arrives it might start looking to be filled up...perhaps I do have some issues.... good thing the wife plays as well and likes all the new DF stuff I have been getting.

Do NOT talk to my wife.

My 1200 sq ft War Room/Military Library/WG Factory has "annexes" in the garage and main library...my wife will be very pleased when I make these disappear!

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:22 am

LordDust wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:57 am
unclebilly wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:22 pm

Well if you have room in your yard you can always buy you own Shipping Container you can get used ones for a good price sometimes.
Thanks foe the suggestion, but my neighborhood association would drop a lien on me so fast my head would spin. You can't even have a shed or outbuilding unless it perfectly matches your house's roofing and siding! If things go as hoped though we will be moving in the next few years, hopefully I will be able to afford to get something with a basement. If not the plan is to get more yard and build an outbuilding to house a small workshop and a game room.
Hey, Lord Dust, drop me your Association rules. I've done a few Association challenges, but I have a buddy who does that kind of law in six states...their rules can often be busted. And he owes me big favors. Costco has cheap sheds easy to paint to match...big enough for storage. If it isn't complicated I'll check it out for free and send advice.

I HATE homeowner associations. And the local ones hate me. I advise every client get to NEVER buy HOA properties. The boards are dominated by people with no life and nothing to do but screw with other people.

Sorry. This post so punched my Lawyer button!

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:16 am

93x74R wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:35 am
Thunder wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:49 pm
Well, I am looking forward to both getting KS5 and looking at the new stuff in KS6 in July. Fun time to be a Dwarven Forge fan to be sure.

I just wish for a couple things:
1) ...
2) ...
3) More time in my life to actually play with this awesome stuff!

Peace
You my friend have to work on your priorities! Focus on only the coolest and role playing with DF is easily top three. You can always head north and play with my I, II, V and soon to be VI stuff. I promise I can TPK you well before you reach the end of my treasure filled labyrinth.

Hooah, 93x74R! You really think so??

Guess what. My clan arrives in Calgary some time next week, for a couple weeks (we are dinosaur hunting in trackless Alberta). 31' RV rental so we are self-contained. I bring with a non--playing but lovely wife, and two VERY experienced Offspring, 21 and 18, with respectively 10 and 7 years' gaming experience. Eldest Offspring now DM's.

Think we can schedule a game? We very much enjoy meeting Trogs on our road trips.

If interested, send me a Private Message with your real world email, and I"ll respond.

This could be too cool. When we return to Seattle, but prior to heading home, Feymous has graciously offered another game (we've done two with her, and they were wonderful).

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:10 am

LordDust wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:53 pm
Storage is going to become an issue. I also just lost my den to a bedroom conversion for my new addition to the family (glad to have her, willing to let it go, but that was the only 100 sq ft in the building that was only mine). I am thinking about seeing if I can finagle a better contract with PODs or one of their competitors... I wish I was kidding.
Dear Lord Dust:

(1) Your newling will not notice high shelves for three years, and, if properly constructed (lower level barbed wire helps) will be unable to scale them for five.

Retake the high ground.

(2) There is also all that space under Newling's bed. Solidly securing containers will be safe past the time Newlign understands its life is worth less than DwF and Will Not touch.

Retake the low ground.

Meanwhile, fascinate Newling with DwF and stories. By the time (1) and (2) are no longer applicable, Newling will be begging you to store the DwF in his/her/its space. Along with the flying wargame board mounted on pulleys to the motor in the ceiling.

Trust me on this.

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:07 am

bernyleung wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:49 pm
I'm looking forward to KS6, but the later it launches works for me best. I'm predicting quite a bit of spending this year. There's also a good chance that KS6 might be my last bulk foray into DF purchases, as I'm sure I would have hit 150% storage capacity before that.
Ummm...150% of storage?

"Scotty, I need two more cubic meters!"

"Ah canna do it, Cap'n!"

"Too late! Incoming Cargo! Make it work, Scotty!"

:evil: --sound of translight explosive wave--

Newscaster: "Vancouver BC has just vanished from the face of the Earth..."

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:05 am

dice4hire wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:20 am
I know there are a lot of factors in business and shipping. I do understand that. It just seems odd that shipping it across the ocean twice is roughly the same price as shipping it over a tiny bit of ocean.
Actually, no. This is much the same reason why I can pay $400 for a flight to a little town in Michigan (about 400miles) but $200 for a flight to Seattle (1700 miles).

Reason: The tiny Michigan town will fly half empty half the time. The Seattle flight is full ALL the time. Certainty is something the airlines are willing to pay (lower prices) for.

Shipping is a fullness game. The factory charges DwF so much to pack the stuff. if its a full container its cheaper because that container never has to be broken down on USA arrival - it goes straight to the destination. Unpacking and repacking is EXPENSIVE. It is labor that costs. The fuel costs for ocean shipping are miniscule. In the 1800's and early 1900's the rule of thumb was that if road shipping wa $100, then rail was $10 and sea was $1. Yes, two orders of magnitude. And that's why. You pack a ship, it goes 3000 miles, you unpack it - and all with power machinery. You pack a truck or wagon, it goes 100 miles, and HAND packs and unpacks.

I know nuffink about commercial shipping except what I learned in history - but I know a boatload about military logistics, and its easy to figure the cost scaling from there.\

Yes, there are other factors.

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod