Please have better LED mounts in KS6 LED pieces

Blunderbuss
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Please have better LED mounts in KS6 LED pieces

Post by Blunderbuss » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:58 pm

As a newcomer to Dwarven Forge (as of KS V), this is disappointing to hear. I haven’t gotten my pieces yet (having elected to receive everything together at the end), but will definitely be checking my LED pieces out when they arrive for this seemingly recurring problem.

I had hoped to pick up more LED accessories down the line to flesh out my budding collection, but I may end up forgoing additional LED pieces if it truly is a long-standing and persistent issue. Which is a shame. I want Dwarven Forge to prosper and I want to continue supporting them, but as was already mentioned: this is marketed as a premium product. It certainly isn’t cheap. And it becomes harder to justify spending so much when there is a history of QC issues and no indication that they are being addressed.

GrumpyOne
Orc
Orc

Post by GrumpyOne » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:46 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:57 pm
I am disappointed if this is happening again. It also makes me wonder if the LED lantern posts in the store right now are the old flawed version, or a newer redone version. I do not recall DF ever saing and the store sure does not.

DF, these are real concerns.
I purchased a couple sets of the lantern posts from the store earlier this year and in the first box, one of the plugs was already set back from the opening and could not be used...brand new out of the box. I ticked me off enough that I still haven't opened the second box. I was able to tap the post to get the plug close enough to allow a lantern to be used however it is barely hanging on. I realize stuff happens with mass-produced items so I never contacted DF to complain...but it just solidified my aversion to having a lot of LED pieces.

So yes, I would say they are still the original version.
"Initial success or total failure"

iceycat
Goblin
Goblin

Post by iceycat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:18 pm

I guess my main problem is if I'm buying "premium" terrain I shouldn't be dealing with arts and crafts glue from a hot glue gun giving way when I press into place an LED accessory and then lose the socket inside the guts of the pieces and have to do a home brew repair job to fix it. That's just so sub standard for a premium product.

If you're selling me a product you advertise as the finest quality gaming terrain in the world and you tout it's ability to be virtually indestructible and so long lasting that you can pass it on to future generations (all actual claims the company has stated) then I expect that the socket piece is supported by something other than a blob of craft glue that gives way under even the very minor pressure of simply inserting the LED as intended. Mold in a block of Dwarvenite right behind that LED socket to support the pressure exerted from the front. Even better, make it an "L" shape so it's supported from below as well as behind. But craft glue isn't cutting it when it breaks under normal use (especially FIRST TIME use)

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:57 pm

I am disappointed if this is happening again. It also makes me wonder if the LED lantern posts in the store right now are the old flawed version, or a newer redone version. I do not recall DF ever saing and the store sure does not.

DF, these are real concerns.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:41 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:07 pm
iceycat wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 pm
DF factory glue is notorious for failing on both magnets and LED plugs. The magnets aren't as big of a deal as long as I can easily super glue them back in place but getting at some of these LED plugs in order to reseat them and try to give it some additional super glue or something can be quite challenging depending on the design of the given piece in question.
As a parent, I can say the magnets are a bigger concern to me. I just hope I find the magnet(s) before my youngest kid does; I think she's out of the phase of putting stuff in her mouth but then about once a month we find a random thing she's just popped in her mouth for fun, whether it be a coin, a rock, a dice, or a toy.

But yet, DF needs to get serious about the durability of the non-dwarvenite parts of their pieces. I don't know what they have done for QC for these issues, but I thought they had been addressed. Makes me sad to hear there are still issues.

Nail brooms range fro$10 to $300 Get one if you craft with children The Magnets will come out. I had more trouble with dropped sewing needs and clipped wire.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Ugh...yeah. All it would take is a tab sticking out of the back wall that provides a solid surface to resist the pressure of putting in the LED. That's disappointing that this many releases into LEDs they're still having these issues. This is the first KS I'll actually be getting LED sockets with, and I am really looking forward to them. I hope mine don't have issues either.

iceycat
Goblin
Goblin

Post by iceycat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:42 pm

You bring up a fair point regarding the magnets for little kiddos and pets. Doesn't apply to me personally as mine are older but yes it is a legitimate point you make

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:07 pm

iceycat wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 pm
DF factory glue is notorious for failing on both magnets and LED plugs. The magnets aren't as big of a deal as long as I can easily super glue them back in place but getting at some of these LED plugs in order to reseat them and try to give it some additional super glue or something can be quite challenging depending on the design of the given piece in question.
As a parent, I can say the magnets are a bigger concern to me. I just hope I find the magnet(s) before my youngest kid does; I think she's out of the phase of putting stuff in her mouth but then about once a month we find a random thing she's just popped in her mouth for fun, whether it be a coin, a rock, a dice, or a toy.

But yet, DF needs to get serious about the durability of the non-dwarvenite parts of their pieces. I don't know what they have done for QC for these issues, but I thought they had been addressed. Makes me sad to hear there are still issues.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

iceycat
Goblin
Goblin

Please have better LED mounts in KS6 LED pieces

Post by iceycat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 pm

I really hope when it comes to LED pieces in KS6 they do a better job of supporting the plug in slots. Many LED pieces from previous Kickstarters INCLUDING KS5 that I just got have a problem where the glue backing on the LED receiving plug gives way and the plug falls into the pieces itself. I just got my KS5 shipment and plugged in some of the green orbs to Zaltar's throne wall and one of them pushed backward into the piece and can't be reached anymore. Had to disassemble the bottom plate and use some MacGyver tricks to finally get the plug back into position in that narrow little channel you can get into. Dabbed a bit of super glue where I could and hope it holds.

It's just a gob of hot glue that holds it there. This happens VERY frequently with various DF LED pieces. You guys, hot glue doesn't cut it. I don't get it. Dwarvenite is meant to last forever and be dropped from the gaming table onto the floor and still be okay. Why design components for the LED that if pressed the tiniest bit too firmly when inserting an LED piece will break the weak glue seal? Glue should never be the only thing that holds these plugs in place. Please make sure KS6 and forward designs use some kind of internal ribbing, slotting, grooving, etc. to physically HOLD the plug in position. DF factory glue is notorious for failing on both magnets and LED plugs. The magnets aren't as big of a deal as long as I can easily super glue them back in place but getting at some of these LED plugs in order to reseat them and try to give it some additional super glue or something can be quite challenging depending on the design of the given piece in question.