Disappointment in "Stretch Goals" "system"

szabbran
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Disappointment in "Stretch Goals" "system"

Post by szabbran » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:24 pm

Posted this to the KS comments, but it seems relevant here.

I think the pain of the current stretch goal setup is definitely more evident earlier in the kickstarter (and it was similar in KS5, but more pronounced this time around for sure).

The issue is that people want to pledge big, and a lot of them do off the bat, but others want to piece things out and don't yet know what they want to pledge for. Part of that is because so many things look "incomplete" without the stretch goals, and the more things are broken out (a la this KS) the more incomplete they seem at first glance. So those people who don't know what to pledge for sit at a lower level (i.e. $10 BYO) until they get a better sense of the options. But those options are hidden until the pledge total goes up, which their "expected" funds that they'll eventually pledge aren't contributing to!

Granted, it seems this problem solves itself once some of the bigger reveals make their way out- there will probably be huge jumps with encounters 13-14, and I'm sure the dwarvenite apocalypse will descend upon our wallets with the GenCon forests announcement. But until then, it's a Catch 22 where the pieces that will get people to throw their money are locked behind a wall that relies on that money being thrown.

A temporary annoyance, and one that won't be an issue in ~ten days or so, but definitely a source of momentary frustration for those of us who will be poring over the pledge options non-stop in the interim.

Ultimately, I'm not concerned about the value. But the slow roll out is excruciating early in the KS.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:38 pm

This is the age-old tactic of manipulating perceptions of value.

A) I have a chair that has a price tag of $100.

B) I have the same chair that has a price tag of $200, BUT FOR A LIMITED TIME IT IS 50% OFF!

8 times out of 10 the prospective chair buyer will flock to option B.

All retail sellers use this concept. And woe be unto the seller that doesn't when all their competition does.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:12 pm

Mitch wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:30 pm
Images are really misleading too as they include stretch goals which aren't even shown on the set breakdowns. 1st encounter has blink dog and torches, 2nd has prisoner, the one with the boat has the dragon head, oars and tiller, etc.

I know the intention but it feels like false advertising.

The images should only show what you get in the pack without stretch goals.
We feel that the encounter images should not have included SGs, we dont really have problem with it as the SGs were almost certain to be unlocked.
Think we would have preferred that the below 1 million $ SGs were just part of the encounter and SGs only started at over 1 million $.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:45 pm

I jsut double checked and most of the 2mil+ stretch goals were capstone pieces and pretty integral to the sets.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 pm

HiveFleetCerberus wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:41 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:14 am
geekjeff wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:29 pm
There will definitely be some Core type pieces in Stretch Goals too. Some people really want bread & butter, some people only want bling.

Nothing’s perfect for everyone but we will make the sets as awesome as we can.
Totally get the bling thing and it could be argued that SGs should be bling as there is no guarantee that SGs will be unlocked so cannot be an essential piece to the encounter.
Don't forget, this Kickstarter funded in 5 minutes and hit 1 million in under 24 hours. Based on DF's past record of Kickstarters, they knew that the first million (even 1.5 million) is a sure thing. Beyond that is where truely bonus pieces begin to show up.
Did that happen in KSV? In few cases as I recall.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Mitch
Orc
Orc

Post by Mitch » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:30 pm

Images are really misleading too as they include stretch goals which aren't even shown on the set breakdowns. 1st encounter has blink dog and torches, 2nd has prisoner, the one with the boat has the dragon head, oars and tiller, etc.

I know the intention but it feels like false advertising.

The images should only show what you get in the pack without stretch goals.

HiveFleetCerberus
Goblin
Goblin

Post by HiveFleetCerberus » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:14 am
geekjeff wrote:
There will definitely be some Core type pieces in Stretch Goals too. Some people really want bread & butter, some people only want bling.

Totally get the bling thing and it could be argued that SGs should be bling as there is no guarantee that SGs will be unlocked so cannot be an essential piece to the encounter.
Don't forget, this Kickstarter funded in 5 minutes and hit 1 million in under 24 hours. Based on DF's past record of Kickstarters, they knew that the first million (even 1.5 million) is a sure thing. Beyond that is where truely bonus pieces begin to show up.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:14 am

geekjeff wrote:

Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Would have much preferred SGs to be simple things like a stand alone wall, then a floor piece, bread and butter pieces that would be cheap to produce and give backers more building options and so would keep backers possibly more interested in unlocking more.
Agreed! :)