Pre-shipment Notification

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Pre-shipment Notification

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:25 am

dice4hire wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:49 am
Ill bow out of this now, arguing will do no good.
Wise, because it wont change anything and may wind you up even more.
Been there and done that, got broken keyboards to prove it :(

We feel your pain as when you start to think about the why, without insider knowledge its really easy to get sooooo frustrated.

A few years ago we would have been making the same posts, but life has taught us that no matter how simple a process should be, it is not.
In DF's case we get why RoW is done how it is.
We made a point on the KS comments about RoW backers make up 10% of total backers and so DFs focus is on their Core customers which is the US. Don't have a problem with this (as long as we still get our dwarvenite fix).
We understand why they have a 'one size fits all' global overseas shipping strategy, its simpler for them and easier to communicate, but leaves us RoW backers feeling like second class customers. Their customer service proves we are not :)

For us to cope with this and other stresses in life we somehow decided that we are not in a hurry anymore, whether that's driving or waiting for Kickstarters ;)
And life is so much more relaxed, surprisingly so. Still get wound up about complex tax systems and archaic Websites though.
Its so much easy to talk about it than do it, so apologies if this is sounding like some Evangalistic cure to all the stresses in life. Clearly its not.

Just how we cope with not getting our Dungeon til September.
But then when we unbox that first box and whisper 'WoW!' it will all be forgotten.

Oh and thank you Lady S for taking the time out to help us understand :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:49 am

Ill bow out of this now, arguing will do no good.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:59 pm

I certainly do not expect or anticipate a team in every country, but why do you need one in every country?
Everything comes from one source, so one team there would be more than enough.

If I remember rightly, DF has prepacked in China before.

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:59 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:27 pm
A few points:

If you shipped everything from the USA (which was done in earlier Kses) why would it take longer? USA people got their first stuff weeks ago, and ROW are getting their first stuff weeks from now.
The logistics of shipping RoW is far more complex than domestic shipping. Everything would still be held until it all arrived because of this. That is why I said it would take longer. As it is now, RoW will get things shipped the same time as the last container goes out to the US. EDIT: I reread my original post and I actually said "just as long" rather than longer. A small difference, but my point was that it just takes more time to get things out to RoW backers. There's just no real way around this.
dice4hire wrote:
The chinese factory seems able to ship containers full of product to DF (seven shipments minimum this time around) but not a few ROW boxes? Don't they need to finish production before having the people to pack containers? Seems to not be the case.
The items shipped to the US are completely unsorted. Workers at the warehouse spend days arranging what comes in for the highest efficiency when pulling individual orders. At the factory, they are doing this step to send directly to RoW at a facility that isn't set up specifically to do that. Each new KS we do is more and more complex (I understand that this is a complaint too) and that means a lot of logistical headaches when getting each backer exactly what they want. It takes a lot of time and effort to get these orders sorted.
dice4hire wrote:
As I said in my post here and on the comments, the time does seem about equal if one looks at 100% fulfillment, but DF did decide to fulfill USA early for whatever reason. I still think ROW (especially those of us next door to China) could have gotten some things earlier too.
I understand that you are frustrated. No one likes to wait when other's are getting things before them. But physical distance isn't issue here. It's the logistics of shipping to places without a "home team." As I said, we don't have the financial resources to field a team in every country. It isn't that things are going to US backers early, it's that we have the support structure here, and direct oversight, to get things packed up as it comes in. I'm sorry that this fact caused you to feel left out or overlooked. DF really is trying to get your pledge items into your hands as quickly as they can.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:21 pm

pacarat wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:24 pm
dice4hire wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:03 pm
@pacarat I do know in a while I will not remember this much, until next time and next time and next time.
Yep, would be nice if it were a one off, and not a trend.
That is what bothers me more than anything is the trend is getting worse, and even when production is delayed, the DF crew is crowing about how complex and awesome the next KS will be.

I would not mind more frequent and simpler KSes, but DF is not going that way. But that horse is definitely dead, and I had a large part in the beating after its demise.

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:17 pm

No email or product here yet and I am in the USA.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:24 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:03 pm
@pacarat I do know in a while I will not remember this much, until next time and next time and next time.
Yep, would be nice if it were a one off, and not a trend.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:03 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:21 pm
I don't think you would be happy if they had said "you can get the first half of your order shipped early from China for $100 extra." I know I'd wait.
Why in the world would I be unhappy to be given a choice?

DF's shipping estimates are very over generous for themselves for ROW shipping. It is better than before, to be fair, but still I figure I could have gotten my castles stuff for about the same price KS or retail from the USA crossing the wide wide ocean twice. A small difference on the KS side, but less than 5%.

I really wish KSV was hitting the webstore before KSVI finishes so I could do the calculation this time also. Alas, that will not be so. I am thinking heavily about going PM this time, though I really hate to do that, and really prefer putting the money in the KS.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Bottom line is that six months or a year from now, “when you got your stuff” wont even be on the radar...

I was one of the very, very last backers to get my DF KS shipment, (city I think) but a few years later I’m pretty much over that late delivery (and not that I’m an Alte Man, but I had to think hard to remember which KS it was.)

The Main Thing is that we do get our stuff - and with DF I have no worries. :)

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:21 pm

dice4hire wrote:
A few points:

If you shipped everything from the USA (which was done in earlier Kses) why would it take longer? USA people got their first stuff weeks ago, and ROW are getting their first stuff weeks from now.

The chinese factory seems able to ship containers full of product to DF (seven shipments minimum this time around) but not a few ROW boxes? Don't they need to finish production before having the people to pack containers? Seems to not be the case.

As I said in my post here and on the comments, the time does seem about equal if one looks at 100% fulfillment, but DF did decide to fulfill USA early for whatever reason. I still think ROW (especially those of us next door to China) could have gotten some things earlier too.
Dice, I feel for you man, but LS has inside info and said what they were doing was saving ROE backers money. I know shipping cost is an issue for you from prior posts you've made. I get being frustrated, but from what she's saying, it appears they're trying. It's like the old adage of "Fast, Good, and Cheap. You can choose two." I don't think you would be happy if they had said "you can get the first half of your order shipped early from China for $100 extra." I know I'd wait.

I'm saying this as someone who has encounters 1-6, so I'm not sitting in your chair and I realize that. You are more than free to fault or call me out on that. I get that it's easier to preach patience than to have patience.

I think it all stems back to again overpromising; they wouldn't have had this issue if they had either extended the delivery dates prior to launch to be more reasonable based on scope, or reduce the scope of the KS to enable them to stay within timeframes. Also, please remember this was their highest grossing kickstarter to date; they may not have been expecting to manufacture so many pieces which caused delivery issues. It's a lot of what-ifs and should-haves.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned