A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Re: Shipping Update Please

Post by Talistran » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:24 am

DevGuy wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:00 pm
While I’m ok to pledge for more CMoN games before others have arrived, I do not feel the same about DF Ks’ers. This is because it’s not until I get stuff that I realise I need/do not need more. For example, I have a massive DoD + some addons coming and at this stage I see no reason why I would want any caverns. Perhaps after building some dungeons I’ll realise I want the added scenic variety, or perhaps I’ll find them so much fun I simply want more.

Without dungeons in hand I’m unlikely to drop another 5K.
Yah, I totally get that.

When I order a steak from the restaurant, I absolutely refuse to eat any bread or salad until my steak arrives... because I won't know if I want any bread or salad until my steak arrives.

Wait, never mind. I find both examples ridiculous :)

Dungeons are not caverns. Caverns are not dungeons. I need both. I have both. I need more of both. AND now I want a steak. Cold/Blue rare please.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:47 am

DevGuy wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:00 pm
I see no reason why I would want any caverns.
:shock: He just said, no no I can't.... I can't....believe it, it cannot be! I think, I think I might pass o..u..t.....

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:09 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:55 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:38 am
I know DF is planning on doing a Mythras Campaign Setting KS and a Miniatures KS later this year.
To coin a phrase WTF!

We are aware of the Minis KS but the Mythras Campaign Setting KS is a new one for us - please Explain what this is :)

Assuming at the moment that its an RPG source book for the world of Mythras, actually the more we type this the more we recall Stefan saying he wanted to publish some of the vast quantity of material he has about his world of Mythras.

Did very much like Stefan's book of Maps & Secret Dungeons from KSIII
As far as I know it's a campaign sourcebook from Stefan's beans he's spilled on FB and in interviews. :)
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

DevGuy
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DevGuy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:00 pm

While I’m ok to pledge for more CMoN games before others have arrived, I do not feel the same about DF Ks’ers. This is because it’s not until I get stuff that I realise I need/do not need more. For example, I have a massive DoD + some addons coming and at this stage I see no reason why I would want any caverns. Perhaps after building some dungeons I’ll realise I want the added scenic variety, or perhaps I’ll find them so much fun I simply want more.

Without dungeons in hand I’m unlikely to drop another 5K.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:55 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:38 am
I know DF is planning on doing a Mythras Campaign Setting KS and a Miniatures KS later this year.
To coin a phrase WTF!

We are aware of the Minis KS but the Mythras Campaign Setting KS is a new one for us - please Explain what this is :)

Assuming at the moment that its an RPG source book for the world of Mythras, actually the more we type this the more we recall Stefan saying he wanted to publish some of the vast quantity of material he has about his world of Mythras.

Did very much like Stefan's book of Maps & Secret Dungeons from KSIII
I am the Game and I want to Play

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:38 am

I know DF is planning on doing a Mythras Campaign Setting KS and a Miniatures KS later this year. I would probably suggest a "reset" for the large kickstarters as well, and actually push the other two kickstarters back to next year. Do Caverns 2 this year as planned, then do a smaller KS in March 2019 where if some people are put off by the lack of fulfillment, it's not as big of a deal, another smaller KS in the late summer 2019, and have everything delivered from Caverns 2, Mythras Campaign Setting, and Minis by March 2020 for KS7. Seems a long way out, but I think it makes sense.

If not that, then just accept that bigger KS campaigns have longer production times and have the annual KS keep moving a few months later each year as production can't seem to keep up with the 1 year timeframe.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:11 am

Honestly, while KSV is obviously delayed, I still don't really see this as a huge delay compared to so many Kickstarters out there. Heck, I have a friend who is still waiting on a KS that was supposed to deliver October of 2013 -- and no, they have not cancelled yet.

I also get the hesitancy to start a new KS before the previous one has shipped. Given DF's track record, I would not personally be bothered by having the next one start, but I don't mind waiting either. The only issue I have at the moment is that pretty soon I will be putting my house on the market, so that might cause issues with regard to the multiple shipments.

Additionally, I actually don't mind the idea of skipping a year, or going to every 18 months or so, etc., for the Kickstarters as it would a) give time to save up more money and b) make it easier to buy stuff from the web store from time to time as well since once I invested in the last KS I was pretty tapped for funds for quite a while. That though, is a different issue.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:42 am

It is a kickstarter thing, this expectation that a new Ks will not launch until the next is done. And for some cretors, it is vital, especially if you worry about getting ripped off.

DF is not gonna rip us off so I see no problem with the next starting before the previous is fulfilled. Seriously, do you see Stefan poring over shipping manifests and warehouse stocking levels? I do not, he does the other end of the business. Especially with more people on board this should be a lot easier. It is too late to really start KSVI "on time" but I would strongly support doing KSII "on time" i.e. MArchish.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:58 am

Imho, with the added workforce, they should try and arrive at a KS (this or the next one) with most if not all sculpts decided and done, and maybe stretch goals be extra pieces of those rather than new sculpts to be reached as goals.

This way, they would be able to have the factory working on molds right after (or even before) the end of the KS, so that only the number of pieces to be printed would be communicated later after getting the actual data from the KS (but mold making could be independent from actual printing).

This way (maybe done as a one time occurrence if too hard as standard) they would recoup the “delay” accumulated, have that KS ready super-fast, and start the next one earlier in the year... without losing any KS, and getting back to a better schedule.

Sure, this means a bit of a “jump of faith” on the esteem of the total reached in the KS to decide how many different molds... but honestly, by now they can be pretty sure about a minimum sum reached “for sure”.
And if worse come to worst, the KS is an unexpected disaster and the funds are really super-low, they could just cancel it - not pleasant, but this is a worst case scenario, in which the KS is very unsuccesful anyway...