BEHIND THE SCENES - The Sculpters/Painters/Staff

Knightess JenneyOC will keep you up-to-date on the latest Dwarven Forge
Kickstarter 6 developments here! This is a read-only forum.
JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Re: BEHIND THE SCENES - The Sculpters/Painters/Staff

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:37 am

Q: Why is it so awesome watching the Nate mini getting destroyed by the fungal-Minotaur? I love the real Nate, so this is confusing for me.

A: I've been told that watching a fungal Minotaur destroy anything is enjoyable. Perhaps that Is what you are Feeling?

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Q: I keep hearing about all the sculptors that worked on this campaign and touched the various pieces, but I never hear Stefan’s name mentioned. Did he not do any sculpting on Caverns Deep?

A: backer: He said on the forums recently that no, he actually didn't sculpt anything in this KS. I think he's been super busy with a bunch of stuff lately, so he mostly delegated.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:42 pm

Q: who did the crystal cavern sculpts? Those corners, walls, and the 4x4 corner in particular are absolutely bonkers.

A: Elye did crystals. Nina did crystals. Lady S. did crystals. Tobi and Drew also contributed to the environment. As usual, it was a team effort. Elye did the 4x4 corner (among others), so I'm glad you called that one out; it's probably my favorite in the set. Credit to Tobi for the geode wall. He did a nice concept sculpt and then Elye did the final version. It's going to be a great spot for treasures and other special items to be kept.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

BEHIND THE SCENES - The Sculpters/Painters/Staff

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:09 pm

Q: Would your sculpting artists be willing to do short cameo videos showing off their sculpts and discussing what they like the most about them?

A: come of the sculptors are camera shy, and as I understand it around Kickstarter times Nate rarely unchains them from the sculpting mines long enough for something as frivolous as interviews.

Griffon Tamer Elye and Lady Sabelle are pretty active in the comments here and on the Dwarven Forge forums, you can definitely chat with them about sculpting philosophies. Nina checks in sometimes too, but she is busy with way too much ass to kick at the moment I think. You can catch her on the forums as Valorian_Seneschal and she frequently checks in on the "Greetings From The Forge" thread.

-----

Q: Do you all sculpt in the same medium or do each have their own preference ? What is / are they ? Clay ? Supersculpy ? Unicorn poop ?

A: Elye- we each have our favorite mediums I suppose. I'll let the others answer as they choose. I enjoy many mediums and am always eager to master new ones. A lot depends on the piece being made. I work in Monster Clay, Super Sculpey, Aves Apoxisculpt, Green Stuff (Kneadatite), and ProCreate, primarily, but I use other materials occasionally. And armature also vary; most common is copper or steel wire but I also use aluminum mesh, wood, resin, 3D printed CAD designs I've done, etc. etc. As a general rule, clays are good for larger pieces with fewer thin/fragile parts (e.g. many terrain pieces) while the epoxy putties are preferable for minis and accessories.