How many stilts are recommended for each terrain tray?

realarete
Orc
Orc

Re: How many stilts are recommended for each terrain tray?

Post by realarete » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:37 am

Hah yes ( a torn corner sadly but otherwise nice shape) - it doesn’t get handled much or even come out of the display case! But the height is sort of right and knowing Stephan’s pension for D&d relics it’s a tempting thought.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:02 am

realarete wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:52 am
Many things can be used to support the trays - I could use my wood grain d&d box ... but probably won’t. 4 stilts should doit, but maybe 5 if one in center for a heavy load.
That would have to be a REAL heavy load. DF has used a pretty thick gauge steel for those trays. It would take a lot of weight to bend them. I am sure someone could lean on something and bend a tray however so to try to protect from human error, the 5th one would be good insurance from overloads.

If your wood grain box is anything like mine (somewhat used) that box has about 3 ounces of support strength left in it. The tray alone might collapse the box.

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:52 am

Many things can be used to support the trays - I could use my wood grain d&d box ... but probably won’t. 4 stilts should doit, but maybe 5 if one in center for a heavy load.

Riley
Orc
Orc

Post by Riley » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:07 am

Magnet-installed KS5 1x1 and 2x2 corners will make great 12mm risers, which can be stuck, upside-down, to the bottom of trays. DF5 corners will make good 50mm risers in the same way.

Is there anything that’s 37mm tall with a magnet in it?

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:01 am

For me, those stilts also can provide some useful filler in other locations for walls and such. Especially on an exposed location with perhaps some ruined features as a small unobtrusive way to support a tray or higher elevation. The Foam blocks work well but work best when not visible. Stilts have the virtue of blending with the other structural material design wise.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:59 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:44 pm
I can't stress this enough as well, YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE STILTS. :) If you are just supporting the middle of the terrain tray, you can use a wall or some other DF piece that will work just as well. Same goes for the outside. The only difference is having a magnet at the top of the stilt.

Sorry still not sure what your trying to say .........
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:36 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:10 pm
You need some super special foam bricks. That is what I intend to use.

shameless plug :D
I will use blocks and stilts and other pieces. I think it just depends what you're building. The blocks are amazing for a lot of stuff for sure.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:10 pm

You need some super special foam bricks. That is what I intend to use.

shameless plug :D
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:00 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:44 pm
I can't stress this enough as well, YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE STILTS. :) If you are just supporting the middle of the terrain tray, you can use a wall or some other DF piece that will work just as well. Same goes for the outside. The only difference is having a magnet at the top of the stilt.
This is true. The beauty of the stilts is that they are relatively cheap, and don’t burn more useful pieces just to lift a tray. Sometimes it doesn’t really matter, but if it’s a large build and/or you have limited sets, the stilts could be worth their weight in gold.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:44 pm

106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned