Painted vs Unpainted decision paralysis

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Painted vs Unpainted decision paralysis

Post by Talistran » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:50 pm

SpaceMonkey wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:15 pm
I was glad to see so much traction in this thread, and appreciate all the feedback. I hadn't chimed back in yet as I'm still creating and re-recreating various spreadsheet combinations, and am still undecided. :roll: Again I'm not sure if posting the below is beneficial, but here we go.

I think a big deciding factor will be if I want more than one paint scheme for the cavern sculpts or not
Talistran wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:59 pm
I am going back and forth (about ten times now) on whether to get all standard, some ice/mostly standard, or maybe underdoom/standard/ice.
This rings so true to me. Have you decided yet?

If I want 3 paint schemes, I'll have to do them all myself as with my double dreadhollow and other add on wants, I can't do a painted Caverns Deep pledge. If I stick with my current unpainted caverns deep pledge, plus lots (and lots?) of extras, I get 1487 total pieces to paint. But I get everything, and can (eventually) pick and choose what gets painted in what.

If I can excise the Ice and Underdoom paint schemes (though I love them both), I can go for AE1-11, full 12, DHx2 and still lots of other stuff in 3 different ways:
  • All painted: AE1-11, Enc 12 in Cavern Paint, 1.75x Dreadhollow, Forest Banks, misc pieces (some unpainted like crystals). 1064 pieces, about $250 more than CD unpainted above.
  • Mix: AE1-11, 12, misc all unpainted, 1.75x Dreadhollow plus banks Painted. 1213 pieces, same $$ as initial CD plus option.
  • All unpainted: Same as Mix, just unpainted. 1213 pieces, $600 savings.
  • Or cut some Misc packs, and do all painted AE1-11, Enc 12 in Ice, Ice Starter, Ice Floors and Passages, 1.75 DH plus banks - $300 more than original, 1086 pieces.
So still completely undecided :oops: But hey, maybe I'm slowing working through this the right way? Still a week to go.
Everytime I decide to do ice/underdoom/standard, I get frustrated because I won't have enough of the ice or underdoom to do "cool" builds. So, then I start thinking... "why bother?"

So I cut it down to all standard and i have an incredible number of cool pieces to work with... and then I start thinking I could add in ice... and then maybe underdoom ;)

Rinse and repeat. :)

I am pretty sure I'll end up with all standard. MAYBE mostly standard, some ice.

Kent

SpaceMonkey
Orc
Orc

Post by SpaceMonkey » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:15 pm

I was glad to see so much traction in this thread, and appreciate all the feedback. I hadn't chimed back in yet as I'm still creating and re-recreating various spreadsheet combinations, and am still undecided. :roll: Again I'm not sure if posting the below is beneficial, but here we go.

I think a big deciding factor will be if I want more than one paint scheme for the cavern sculpts or not
Talistran wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:59 pm
I am going back and forth (about ten times now) on whether to get all standard, some ice/mostly standard, or maybe underdoom/standard/ice.
This rings so true to me. Have you decided yet?

If I want 3 paint schemes, I'll have to do them all myself as with my double dreadhollow and other add on wants, I can't do a painted Caverns Deep pledge. If I stick with my current unpainted caverns deep pledge, plus lots (and lots?) of extras, I get 1487 total pieces to paint. But I get everything, and can (eventually) pick and choose what gets painted in what.

If I can excise the Ice and Underdoom paint schemes (though I love them both), I can go for AE1-11, full 12, DHx2 and still lots of other stuff in 3 different ways:
  • All painted: AE1-11, Enc 12 in Cavern Paint, 1.75x Dreadhollow, Forest Banks, misc pieces (some unpainted like crystals). 1064 pieces, about $250 more than CD unpainted above.
  • Mix: AE1-11, 12, misc all unpainted, 1.75x Dreadhollow plus banks Painted. 1213 pieces, same $$ as initial CD plus option.
  • All unpainted: Same as Mix, just unpainted. 1213 pieces, $600 savings.
  • Or cut some Misc packs, and do all painted AE1-11, Enc 12 in Ice, Ice Starter, Ice Floors and Passages, 1.75 DH plus banks - $300 more than original, 1086 pieces.
So still completely undecided :oops: But hey, maybe I'm slowing working through this the right way? Still a week to go.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:57 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:42 am
I did not dirtying up one side like the painted had.
Invariably when i am done building a structure i have to go back through and flip walls around because i was worried about shape and not paint scheme...

i guess i still like the two sided nature of them, but it is annoying sometimes
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:42 am

I painted my tudor in a grey stone and wood scheme so i did not have so much trouble. I did have the perfect sized brush for the wood though. That helped a lot.

I did not dirtying up one side like the painted had.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

iPaint
Orc
Orc

Post by iPaint » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:18 pm

NiandoBG wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:14 pm
One last thought, was there ever a discussion of the most annoying/demotivating pieces to paint.
My first place in that category is hold by Tudor walls of KS 3. :(
I think for me it's gonna be the serpent temple walls and bits done in Jade. Lots of masking needed, and I need to decide on how to finish the jade stone to look a bit less "rubbery" and more "glassy" - may just be a slight gloss-green wash and minor highlights needed, will have to experiment.

Tudor walls I actually thought weren't too bad if done with 2 brush sizes - one for the major part of the plaster and a smaller brush to get the corners.

~iPaint

NiandoBG
Goblin
Goblin

Post by NiandoBG » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:14 pm

In my opinion the question painted vs unpainted can be reduced to:
Are you willing to spend time to paint your game tiles? And does your family/(girl)friend accept your choice how you wan to spend your time?

Everything else are minor aspects.

By the way, I made the experience that the encounter structure really helps to stay motivated painting everything your self. Just paint one encounter be proud of it and than start the next one ;)

One last thought, was there ever a discussion of the most annoying/demotivating pieces to paint.
My first place in that category is hold by Tudor walls of KS 3. :(

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:10 am

dice4hire wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:26 am
I still prefer painted overall, as it is easier to get more stuff, and I like painting terrain. But some items need to be painted, i think. Mostly due to details and the like.

I have caved and gotten my forest floors painted. Expensive but I am sure on the day i open the boxes it will be worth it.
'Oh it will be'
focussing our inner Yoda :)

We know you have heard it all before .....but......
Its the best bit about DF, unboxing prepainted, and just marvelling at what comes out, putting it on the table and building encounters straight away.

Due to time schedule we still have half our DoD pledged still boxed, hoping this weekend we can clear our game table and finish unboxing and build some encounters :)
Looking forward to unboxing all that white marbly goodness.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:26 am

I still prefer painted overall, as it is easier to get more stuff, and I like painting terrain. But some items need to be painted, i think. Mostly due to details and the like.

I have caved and gotten my forest floors painted. Expensive but I am sure on the day i open the boxes it will be worth it.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:39 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:35 pm
My latest self-torture is completely redoing pledge options starting from a couple of full Unpainted encounters plus addons, JUST so I can get the Adventure Packs separately, painted. Because I know those are the things I’ll lag on painting. It’s about the least dollar efficient way to build a pledge since you lose the Essentials discount, but it’s more efficient in the sense that I’m never paying for something I don’t totally want.

Fully Painted was never an option for me on this one, since my KS2 is done in a non-standard paint scheme. My pledge isn’t huge though, and it’s >50% Forest. If I was in for a CD or CD Deluxe I’d really have to think about Painted.
And I did this exact same self-torture except getting all the Universal packs painted and the Adventure packs unpainted. :)

But the discount got me. It was cheaper to get 1-11 painted than to split it up. Anyway, I figure I will have enough to do painting up my autumn forest, plus my KS2 is all standard or painted to match.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:20 pm

If I had the kind of budget you have, I'd consider painted for the most part.
But being close to $1K total budget, I can't justify anything other than unpainted. Although I might get just a couple small forest sets painted, and hope to add to them when they get in stock.