Goblin
Goblin

Re: It’s late July! It’s late July!

Post by Tenbears » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:55 pm

Oldent wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:01 pm
Tenbears wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:54 pm
If nothing else I would have expected a sales rep to have commented on this thread or the painting thread by now.

Tenbears
I hope the ignore this myself.
Great business model. I would get fired if I did that where I work. You don't try and give answers to questions that you do not know but you do provide updates to stay in touch with your client base and dispel a perception of apathy.

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:39 am

pacarat wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:27 am
One would think that they would want to recoup the investment on molds by selling more through web store. My understanding is that the KS funding underwrites the mold cost “up front”, but there is still material, packaging and shipping from factory to account for. Oh, and warehouse fees, too.

Without insight into revenue streams (KS vs. web store) hard to say if DF could support itself on just the web store sales over the course of a year.

But agree with others- storage is getting tight here and the reality of using everything I have now... let alone what is coming... :shock:
The hardest part of trying to make those calculations is that we have NO information about the volume of their websales and very little information about what they pay their employees. I say "very little" because we can make some educated guesses based off of where their employees live and their style of dress and appearance... but that is not going to get us even close.

However, we can (and I have) run numbers for the KSes, based off of vast experience on manufacturing in China, cubic inch material costs, labor costs, freight estimations based off of the number of containers, etc. Providing they have a line of credit (or a funded savings account from which to draw upon), DF has done well enough since KS5 when I started calculating... providing they aren't compensating six figures to ALL of their employees ;)

And remember, it is easy to get to six figures for quality talent after wage and benefits, especially in the heart of New York.

The thing about the websales is that they are going to be very seasonal too. For most companies, it wouldn't be so abrupt, because they'd have only lightly higher sales leading up to Christmas and following tax season (in the US)... with some normal slowdown in the summer as people aren't inside playing with toys. But with DF, they have periods of extreme slowdown on websales because they run KS'es (and subsequent PMs) that suck almost every cent out of their normal sales. So for DF, websales are going to peak after delivery of KS products, but then falter as we get closer to and in the middle of the next KS.

DF is an extremely interesting business to think about from a modeling and marketing perspective ;)

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:27 am

One would think that they would want to recoup the investment on molds by selling more through web store. My understanding is that the KS funding underwrites the mold cost “up front”, but there is still material, packaging and shipping from factory to account for. Oh, and warehouse fees, too.

Without insight into revenue streams (KS vs. web store) hard to say if DF could support itself on just the web store sales over the course of a year.

But agree with others- storage is getting tight here and the reality of using everything I have now... let alone what is coming... :shock:

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:03 am

Thanks for the reminder of the rolling containers. That was my bad, I’d forgotten that they began shipping KS5 before they had all of it in the warehouse. That does affect the analysis of the wait times.

In the end, I’m not sure what the best approach is. Some people HAD been asking for smaller KS campaigns - to be manageable financially and to reduce these kinds of issues. Personally, I’d love that - I’m running out of storage space! But in all seriousness, I think DF itself could benefit from giving its own products some breathing room. Let people catch up! Let them buy castles and cities and Doom - milk the older stuff as much as you can. Smaller campaigns could benefit everyone - fans get to complete their collections and DF gets a better return on the tooling and costs incurred by these marathon campaigns (financial AND personal costs! They’re a lot of work!)

But beyond that - I don’t know. I only wanted to flag the issue, because it felt like it was being ignored. In all the talk of production delays and so on, it felt like everyone was treating “The latest KS is shipping!” as the end goal and nothing else to fix. But I do think they should look into what - IF ANYTHING - could be done to streamline that last stage. Because, again, from a customer perspective, being told you spent $2-4000 on something that is officially “shipping” and you might have to wait another 2 months for... look, if nothing can be done, nothing can be done, but let’s at least think about it.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:23 am

I know they cannot answer everything here. I have way too many posts and I occasionally mark everything read just to clear out threads I am not going to reply to. (I used unread posts to find stuff quickly)

O do wish they would show more responsiveness to talking about business plans. They are good with pieces and add-ons, but they sure just do everything else their way.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:36 am

Law wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:21 pm
MrMorden wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:47 am

I remember posting DoD pics and seeing people posting “still waiting on mine!” well over a month after I had my order. That’s crazy. We don’t live in a world where people wait a month or two to receive in stock product. Especially when they waited a year already. And paid on average $1500 for it.

Oh it was longer than a month !

But you cannot ship it if you do not have it, like d4h says its not the warehouse that is the issue its the multiple container deliveries from the manufacturer.

So a few points to make :)

Most rave over the bigger more spectacular sculpts the DF produce (we are some of those), but that of course makes manufacturing more complex.

The PMs being over 2 months after the KS closes does seem an awfully long time, we assume this is because of post KS adjustments to packs and new add-ons as requested by backers.

All the product should be sculpted and the KS just a marketing tool to see how much they need to manufacture. Many Kickstarters work like this, but then not many react to backer feedback like DF do.

CD was more complicated because the reopened the PM to add more options.

In short if DF did have all the sculpts and SKUs finalised before the KS, those sculpt are smaller and less complex and the PM was hot on the heels of the KS then yes we would probably get our dwarvenite sooner, but we would not necessarily be getting the all the dwarvenite we want - there would be no Dreadhollow banks for instance, no Alley Intersections, apparently no waterfalls. KS6.66 banks would not be as flexible.

You cannot always have the flexibility that DF provide and a quick turnaround

The obvious result would be put back delivery date by x amount. This makes some sense though we dont think in isolation any of the above would make the KS late, but certainly make it more prone to being late.

This also leads to the question what does the KS delivery date actually mean.
It should mean that all backers get their pledge by this date. Many Kickstarters interpret this as to start delivering by this date.

Would adding 3 months to the delivery date make a big difference to the average backer? We do not consider ourselves as average ;) certainly with DF as we know we will get it and within a few months of the delivery date specified. But others are not so laid back.

Making smaller Kickstarters does make sense, we enjoy the Big Kickstarters but they are hard work for everyone involved, smaller ones would alleviate the workload, but would require more Kickstarters per year if DF need the same turn over in funding per year as the big Kickstarters provide.

This makes it more likely to begin a Kickstarter before the previous has delivered, which puts many backers off. We did not back MBA harbours, which now that we got their Urban Kickstarter we wished we had.

There is no magic remedy, but DF should be looking at the big picture and looking at what works and what does not, where they can improve. They should be taking in all feedback from all sources, this forum, FB etc about all topics, from customer interaction to ideas (*cough Starship *cough) to suggestions on stock control. As like all good companies they should be retrospectives following all major deliveries on all aspects.

Whilst we would like more DF interaction on here we do not think they need be answering every DooFer query and suggestion.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:42 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:40 pm
I wish my glasses were that rose-colored.
You mean these? 😍

Nah. I’m just noting an opportunity for DF to do differently. It’s more likely that they will do just as they have done previously.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:01 pm

Tenbears wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:54 pm
If nothing else I would have expected a sales rep to have commented on this thread or the painting thread by now.

Tenbears
I hope the ignore this myself.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Tenbears
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Tenbears » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:54 pm

Tenbears

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:40 pm

I wish my glasses were that rose-colored. DF has said since KSIII that they are doing everything more quickly and working on more before the campaign starts, but they always are scrambling mid campaign to get things done.

Simply, they are trying to do too much. Too many crazy sculpts and too many new things each KS. They are setting a too ambitious goal for themselves,and indeed a goal higher than the customers would put on them. Did CF need to have all fifteen encounters PLUS the lava they originally intended to pout into it? How many people would have expected that, or based their purchase on having all that variety?

If they had done encounters 1-11 and one of encounters 12-15 (or 16 for lava) I think everyone would have thought it was well done. Maybe do two of the big encounters.

DF is really doing all this to themselves.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”