Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: It’s late July! It’s late July!

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:36 am

Law wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:21 pm
MrMorden wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:47 am

I remember posting DoD pics and seeing people posting “still waiting on mine!” well over a month after I had my order. That’s crazy. We don’t live in a world where people wait a month or two to receive in stock product. Especially when they waited a year already. And paid on average $1500 for it.

Oh it was longer than a month !

But you cannot ship it if you do not have it, like d4h says its not the warehouse that is the issue its the multiple container deliveries from the manufacturer.

So a few points to make :)

Most rave over the bigger more spectacular sculpts the DF produce (we are some of those), but that of course makes manufacturing more complex.

The PMs being over 2 months after the KS closes does seem an awfully long time, we assume this is because of post KS adjustments to packs and new add-ons as requested by backers.

All the product should be sculpted and the KS just a marketing tool to see how much they need to manufacture. Many Kickstarters work like this, but then not many react to backer feedback like DF do.

CD was more complicated because the reopened the PM to add more options.

In short if DF did have all the sculpts and SKUs finalised before the KS, those sculpt are smaller and less complex and the PM was hot on the heels of the KS then yes we would probably get our dwarvenite sooner, but we would not necessarily be getting the all the dwarvenite we want - there would be no Dreadhollow banks for instance, no Alley Intersections, apparently no waterfalls. KS6.66 banks would not be as flexible.

You cannot always have the flexibility that DF provide and a quick turnaround

The obvious result would be put back delivery date by x amount. This makes some sense though we dont think in isolation any of the above would make the KS late, but certainly make it more prone to being late.

This also leads to the question what does the KS delivery date actually mean.
It should mean that all backers get their pledge by this date. Many Kickstarters interpret this as to start delivering by this date.

Would adding 3 months to the delivery date make a big difference to the average backer? We do not consider ourselves as average ;) certainly with DF as we know we will get it and within a few months of the delivery date specified. But others are not so laid back.

Making smaller Kickstarters does make sense, we enjoy the Big Kickstarters but they are hard work for everyone involved, smaller ones would alleviate the workload, but would require more Kickstarters per year if DF need the same turn over in funding per year as the big Kickstarters provide.

This makes it more likely to begin a Kickstarter before the previous has delivered, which puts many backers off. We did not back MBA harbours, which now that we got their Urban Kickstarter we wished we had.

There is no magic remedy, but DF should be looking at the big picture and looking at what works and what does not, where they can improve. They should be taking in all feedback from all sources, this forum, FB etc about all topics, from customer interaction to ideas (*cough Starship *cough) to suggestions on stock control. As like all good companies they should be retrospectives following all major deliveries on all aspects.

Whilst we would like more DF interaction on here we do not think they need be answering every DooFer query and suggestion.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:42 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:40 pm
I wish my glasses were that rose-colored.
You mean these? 😍

Nah. I’m just noting an opportunity for DF to do differently. It’s more likely that they will do just as they have done previously.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:01 pm

Tenbears wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:54 pm
If nothing else I would have expected a sales rep to have commented on this thread or the painting thread by now.

Tenbears
I hope the ignore this myself.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Tenbears
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Tenbears » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:54 pm

If nothing else I would have expected a sales rep to have commented on this thread or the painting thread by now.

Tenbears

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:40 pm

I wish my glasses were that rose-colored. DF has said since KSIII that they are doing everything more quickly and working on more before the campaign starts, but they always are scrambling mid campaign to get things done.

Simply, they are trying to do too much. Too many crazy sculpts and too many new things each KS. They are setting a too ambitious goal for themselves,and indeed a goal higher than the customers would put on them. Did CF need to have all fifteen encounters PLUS the lava they originally intended to pout into it? How many people would have expected that, or based their purchase on having all that variety?

If they had done encounters 1-11 and one of encounters 12-15 (or 16 for lava) I think everyone would have thought it was well done. Maybe do two of the big encounters.

DF is really doing all this to themselves.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:44 pm

I would like to think that the success of KS 6.66 and the delayed launch of KS7 will allow DF to be more pessimistic/realistic in their future delivery estimates.

First, they have several more months to get the KS7 sculpts finished, and hopefully they can get more production issues identified and worked out even before the campaign starts.

Second, if they plan to alternate KSX’s with KSX.XX’s they can anticipate more frequent cash infusions, and will have less need to rush/hope for early delivery of KSX so they can start KSY.

I hope.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:16 pm

I do not think the problem now is how long it takes the warehouse to ship out items, but how long it takes DF to get product to the warehouse. In the last update they said that some containers were arriving soonish, then some more not so soon in August ad then finally some not soon at all in October.

Really that is the problem. Yes, DF is not crazy late, but if they are late every time, it is a problem that needs to be worked on.

I liked the timeline above, and I agree the PMs should be coming soon, like in a month or so. Run them fast and get things going at the factory. It can be smoother.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Law, I agree there are delays for which DF can be considered responsible, and some others that are beyond their control. I just meant we need to distinguish between the two, which you seem to agree with. 👍

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:21 pm

MrMorden wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:47 am
Amazon has two day shipping sure, for product IN STOCK. Many times I have tried to order via Amazon and found estimated delivery times a month out. Supply chain is a challenge for every company.
I’m glad you made this point, because it means I wasn’t clear. I’m talking about when DF has stuff in stock, too. When the product has arrived and “shipping has begun.” At that moment, the official “delays” are over, but some customers still wait two months to get their order. It just takes that long for the warehouse to ship out 2000 orders.

Which, fine. Sure. I get why it’s difficult. But it still means in stock product could have another two month wait even when the official delay has ended. And that’s what DF needs to fix. Regular delays can hopefully be mitigated better as well. But there needs to be attention paid to what can be done to make the “backer shipment window” a lot smaller. I remember posting DoD pics and seeing people posting “still waiting on mine!” well over a month after I had my order. That’s crazy. We don’t live in a world where people wait a month or two to receive in stock product. Especially when they waited a year already. And paid on average $1500 for it.

There are two distinct issues here and hopefully DF is looking into both. First, the delays. Second, the long shipping windows - which exacerbate the delays. DF may feel like “hey, we’re shipping, problem solved, there’s nothing else we can do, it takes time to ship 2000 orders.” But from a customer perspective it means being told the delay is over but, yeah, you still have to wait two months. That’s what I was calling “lawyer spin.” If I’m still waiting two months, don’t tell me the delay is over.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:47 am

Amazon has two day shipping sure, for product IN STOCK. Many times I have tried to order via Amazon and found estimated delivery times a month out. Supply chain is a challenge for every company.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”