Painted vs Unpainted decision paralysis

SpaceMonkey
Orc
Orc

Re: Painted vs Unpainted decision paralysis

Post by SpaceMonkey » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:31 am

Well I’m finally done. I wanted to thank everyone for their input. It all helped!! This really is a great community. With the exception of wallet doom, I feel lucky to have stumbled here this year. Definitely a bright spot in a rough year.

Anyways, I sadly gave up on the Underdoom paint scheme, but split the rest of my differences and got a bunch of painted stuff and will have ice too. I went with AE1-11 painted, crystal cavern unpainted (thinking of splitting it up and doing half ice half cavern), double dreadhollow plus a bit more with 8 banks about 50/50 painted/unpainted. All the ice stuff I went unpainted, and the cavern add ons were also about 50/50 paint/unpainted. I put the official list in the final pledge thread.

So thanks again everybody, you are all awesome!

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Not me - I am psyched for the new Underdoom paint scheme - I see it as a whole new environment to play with that I didn't have before! One more color in my DMing palette to pull out when needed :D

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:24 pm

SpaceMonkey wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:48 am
Talistran wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:50 pm
Everytime I decide to do ice/underdoom/standard, I get frustrated because I won't have enough of the ice or underdoom to do "cool" builds. So, then I start thinking... "why bother?"

So I cut it down to all standard and i have an incredible number of cool pieces to work with... and then I start thinking I could add in ice... and then maybe underdoom ;)

Rinse and repeat. :)

I am pretty sure I'll end up with all standard. MAYBE mostly standard, some ice.

Kent
Same. I just locked in the PM for the first time. Unpainted CD, second DH with 8 banks, plus (too) many extras. Basically I just took the past of least resistance. :oops: Since my KS pledge was unpainted CD, I didn't have to send an email to get my pledge level "downgraded" to AE1-11 Painted. And since it's all unpainted (~1500 pieces!) I also get to put off the standard/ice/underdoom decision(s) for now. :roll:

If I can actually get my act together by the end of this week and decide I can live without Underdoom, I can change to AE1-11 painted, plus Ice Catecomb painted, plus DH 1.75x painted, plus a couple unpainted items (1/2 Crystals, and others). But then I also have to decide if I want Encounter 12 in Ice or not. Yup, I'm pretty indecisive. Sigh.

But at the same time, I enjoy painting, am not in a rush to get it all done, and this is the only time I foresee having the opportunity to get potential underdoom pieces (even though I'll be painting them myself). My main hesitation to CD unpainted is that it just may be too much volume (storage), too much repetition (I think ice and underdoom are awesome paint jobs, but in the end they are just variations of the same sculpts), and those factory forest paint test samples look amazing.
Looking at the bold section above, this is my problem. It is is just a color variation of SOME of the awesome sculpts... but there is a ton you can't get...

AND ultimately, can I not imagine some extra shadows on Underdoom (or lower the lights, or use a colored LED light above) to simulate a dank, darker depths?

Anyways...

SpaceMonkey
Orc
Orc

Post by SpaceMonkey » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:48 am

Talistran wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:50 pm
Everytime I decide to do ice/underdoom/standard, I get frustrated because I won't have enough of the ice or underdoom to do "cool" builds. So, then I start thinking... "why bother?"

So I cut it down to all standard and i have an incredible number of cool pieces to work with... and then I start thinking I could add in ice... and then maybe underdoom ;)

Rinse and repeat. :)

I am pretty sure I'll end up with all standard. MAYBE mostly standard, some ice.

Kent
Same. I just locked in the PM for the first time. Unpainted CD, second DH with 8 banks, plus (too) many extras. Basically I just took the past of least resistance. :oops: Since my KS pledge was unpainted CD, I didn't have to send an email to get my pledge level "downgraded" to AE1-11 Painted. And since it's all unpainted (~1500 pieces!) I also get to put off the standard/ice/underdoom decision(s) for now. :roll:

If I can actually get my act together by the end of this week and decide I can live without Underdoom, I can change to AE1-11 painted, plus Ice Catecomb painted, plus DH 1.75x painted, plus a couple unpainted items (1/2 Crystals, and others). But then I also have to decide if I want Encounter 12 in Ice or not. Yup, I'm pretty indecisive. Sigh.

But at the same time, I enjoy painting, am not in a rush to get it all done, and this is the only time I foresee having the opportunity to get potential underdoom pieces (even though I'll be painting them myself). My main hesitation to CD unpainted is that it just may be too much volume (storage), too much repetition (I think ice and underdoom are awesome paint jobs, but in the end they are just variations of the same sculpts), and those factory forest paint test samples look amazing.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:12 pm

I have never found painting to be too hard, though I do it all myself. I do not order too much though.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

DroopyMcCool49
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DroopyMcCool49 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:53 pm

I am new to DF, but I have just started painting my first DoD sets that I picked up on the store, and I have to say, it goes surprisingly fast. Being able to paint up some pieces has settled my mind on going for completely unpainted for caverns, though I am still not sure if I will do so for Dreadhollow.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Painted vs Unpainted: Ye Olde Paynte Partye

Post by GODofwar » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:42 pm

A reminder and note too for newer Trogs: You can schedule a painting party with your players and friends, and get a HUGE amount of painting done in a short time. We did ALL of our KS I (twenty sets plus add-ons) in a Friday night and all day Saturday session. I provided food and drink (no booze, the kids were all under 21 back then - now they aren't!). I was amazed how fast it got done. I did cheat and used ArmY Builder grays to spray the first coat. I also had a real painter plan the stations, colors, and supervise the newbies, showing them how to do it.

If anyone has questions send me a private message, happy to answer.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:12 am

If we went for caverns then it would be a tough choice between Ice and standard. We don't have any KS2 or Resin caverns so no matching issues which we know a lot of you have.

Ice because it looks so cool :D and was the standout cavern encounter for us and had potential to be used overground on our winter board.

Standard because if we were to want a cavern then this seems the most likely to be used in an RPG.

If DreadHollow had not turned up then we would have got some caverns and saved our wallet much angst.

Don't envy you lot who have had to make the decision between paint schemes.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:38 pm

As far as Standard vs Ice vs UD .... I am getting standard, but the perspective here is that I don't have a HUGE collection. So It will go well with my resin. I think about it this way, if I had no Dwarven Forge stuff my players and I would be in 2 dimensions, imagining the build. So going from drawings and graph paper maps to ANY sort of terrain environment is a GIANT step in boosting thematics! I am getting Standard paint scheme and if need be we can just imagine ice, or firescape, or underdoom etc. Everyone just stares in awe at this stuff anyways ... no matter the color.

As to Paint vs no paint in general it depends on your priorities and time allocation I suppose. Terrain is mostly easy to paint, but it still takes TIME! I'm getting a few things unpainted ( 2 cliff packs, couple other things) and I enjoy augmenting the factory jobs, adding some details, or glaze, or shades etc. But the time I devote to game prep outside of a session I'd rather be drawing the areas, maps, and encounters, and characters ... than painting. I enjoy painting, but a full un-painted order would take ALL my time to prepare.

my$.03 added a cent since I got a little long-winded :lol:

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:20 pm

If I were getting painted caverns, I would also be torn between standard and underdoom. I will paint what little caverns I get to match my KS2, so no big problem.

I am glad DF is doing this and I hope it is not too much of a headache for them, as I have thought this would be a good way to add variety to a Kickstarter offering.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”