help with pledge (sigh)

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: help with pledge (sigh)

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:55 am

We are currently sitting on six sets of forest banks and we don't think that too many.

Good shout on mixing in some Stone banks in with forest ones Mobius :)
Think that repetition will only look obvious if you just have straight banks with no changes of direction or using the inside and outside curves.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:19 pm

Zero,... was easy peasy ... :P ;)
If I were spending well in excess of double what I am, I might (stress might) have considered some.
:idea: ----------------- No forest ground or escarpments tiles = No need for banks.----------------- :|
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Mobius
Orc
Orc

Post by Mobius » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:52 pm

I too love the forest banks. The one challenge with getting multiples of this pack is that there are only 4 sculpts and I'm concerned a build could start to look repetitive and less organic. What are people's thoughts on mixed in a few stone banks pieces with the forest banks to get some rocky bank areas for variety?
I'm trying to envision whether that would look better and more naturally varied, or if the sharp, straight-line transitions from grass to stones would look odd.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:39 pm

I figured if I had a long enough stretch that needed the forest banks, I could introduce some elevation and use the multiple escarpments I am also getting for portions with a more cliff like edge to the road or water. And sometimes the water is big and goes off map so I would only need to populate one side the lake or wide river.

SpaceMonkey
Orc
Orc

Post by SpaceMonkey » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:00 pm

I settled on 8 as well, scaling back from a moment of madness thinking about 10-12 sets.

DroopyMcCool49
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DroopyMcCool49 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:47 am

zenako wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:12 am
Forest banks are the black holes of restraint. They keep pulling you in for more. I was able to abort diving in too deep and stopped at 6 sets. I do a lot of outside encounters and I look at them as being great for edging up to water (mats or terrain trays) and even being borders on roads.

I finally pulled up at 8 sets, which is how many I think I will need to make a decent length road running along a river in the forest.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:12 am

Forest banks are the black holes of restraint. They keep pulling you in for more. I was able to abort diving in too deep and stopped at 6 sets. I do a lot of outside encounters and I look at them as being great for edging up to water (mats or terrain trays) and even being borders on roads.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:11 am

I doubt you would want every piece in the temple to be ruined - you will hit pattern repetition really quickly - more regular DoD and less ruins will probably sell the effect better

But they are cool pieces - who knows you may want to do an entire ruined monastary! - Temple in disarray, dining hall in decay, abbots house collapsed, sleeping quarters in shambles... don't even get me started on the library...

You should get 4 sets!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Trollface
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Trollface » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:51 am

Hi,
Some good points, but yes I like the ruins. The ruins pack is only half a room, with essentials 1-6 and the extra ruins pack I can build a whole room. Augment that with a couple of DoD pieces and voila the ruined temple.

The extra escarpment corners, blended with the cliffs and stone banks will make nice islands in my swamp. 4 corners = 1 island

From the discussions the number of forest transition banks needed does not converge, but diverges to infinity, 2, 4, 6 , ........., Not going there ;)

DroopyMcCool49
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DroopyMcCool49 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:54 am

Trollface wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:04 pm
Caverns:
Adventure essentials 1-6
Cave Cliffs
Stone Banks
Cavern Floor
Cavern Starter
Stalagmite Pack
Dungeon Ruins
Natural Bridge
Stairway to Violence
Rising Elevation
Cave water-multipack Total 828

Dreadhollow
Terrain tray
Forest Scatter (2x)
Light Forest
large Trees (2x)
Small trees (2x)
Cave Mouth
Escarpment Corners (2x)
Escarpments (2x)
Forest Transition (4x)
Bramble Pack Total 731

Grand Total 1559
$1500 was my initial budget and I did a lot of test builds at that price point. I have since blown it out of the water, but I will tell you that in my builds, Eseentials 1-6 was a key feature. There are a few small things I would point out about your current configuration. Why two sets of escarpment corners? One set plus the two escarpment packs get you four, so I don’t know that six will help that much. Why extra dungeon ruins? Do you just like these pieces? Have you considered going for a full Dreadhollow encounter? I am guessing so, but it looks like you are trying maximize forest space by transitioning to trays. I am actually wondering if four banks is enough to transition from the light forest, cave mouth and escarpment pieces to your trays.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”