Re: DF KS6 on a micro Budget

Post by Swiftbrook » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:59 pm

OK I pulled the trigger:

Cavern Starter Pack - $48
Stalagmite Pack - $28
Encounter 2 Core Pack - $57
Crooked Caverns Pack - $37
Camp Pack - $10

I'll probably reopen it tomorrow and add something. At the last minute, the Cave Door Pack looked interested as did something with the Passage Intersection.

Thanks for all the feedback!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:44 pm

Swiftbrook wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:01 pm
Going into the final stretch. Really pushing my needs vs. wants vs. my budget.

I looked through what I have and I found that I picked up a few K2 cavern floors (like 3 standard and 1 rough) at GenCon, so with this micro budget, that makes a difference.

The Cavern Floor Pack has dropped out of my must haves.
Stalagmite Pack is now at the top.

So in addition to the Cavern Starter Pack ...
Stalagmite Pack - $28

That's $122 after the Starter Pack. Budget is $165 after the Starter. $43 left

Still looking at
Passage Pack - $27
Camp Pack - $10
Caverns Floor Pack - $32
Core Pack 1 instead of Crooked Caverns ($15 more - no 2x2 Convex Corner but Trifecta Straight Wall)

So it looks like it's passages vs floor. Errrrrr

Thanks for reading my musing.
Ideas for the last $43:

Boring but optimal - 2nd Starter = $48 - over by $5

Universal 10-11 will break the $43 by only $9 - worth considering

Adventure 6 plus Camp = $23

Adventure 9 (cool half of StV with LED plus trap door!) = $37
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Mobius
Orc
Orc

Post by Mobius » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Swiftbrook wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:01 pm
Still looking at
Passage Pack - $27
Camp Pack - $10
Caverns Floor Pack - $32
Core Pack 1 instead of Crooked Caverns ($15 more - no 2x2 Convex Corner but Trifecta Straight Wall)

I cannot stress enough how useful more floors are for larger caverns - thinks like dragon lairs, huge grottos, underground castles, etc.
The passages are less needed since you can build them with 2 wall tiles with the floors facing inwards..... however, they look amazing and are a great price.

My advice: stretch your budget and get both! People here go thousands over budget, so $30 is small in comparison. I don't like going over budget early in the campaign or PM since it's a slippery slope, but the 2nd last day of the PM is a good time to splurge and treat yourself.

Swiftbrook
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Swiftbrook » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Going into the final stretch. Really pushing my needs vs. wants vs. my budget.

I looked through what I have and I found that I picked up a few K2 cavern floors (like 3 standard and 1 rough) at GenCon, so with this micro budget, that makes a difference.

The Cavern Floor Pack has dropped out of my must haves.
Stalagmite Pack is now at the top.

So in addition to the Cavern Starter Pack ...
Stalagmite Pack - $28

That's $122 after the Starter Pack. Budget is $165 after the Starter. $43 left

Still looking at
Passage Pack - $27
Camp Pack - $10
Caverns Floor Pack - $32

Thanks for reading my musing.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:48 am

Then grab them if you can afford them.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Swiftbrook
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Swiftbrook » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:38 am

OK, looks like I'm going to have to add the Camp Pack to my pledge. First, I like the LED campfire. Second, I've already misplaced my Deep Cuts campfire. Third, can we have too many piles of equipment?

I've paid for the Starter Pack Pledge level ($50 w/shipping) and I have $165 from selling minis. So that's about $158 in extras. The $165 got absorbed into paying bills so it really is a budget number for me.

The Stalagmite Pack has bumped up onto my primary pledge unless I can get several of the special pieces from another source.

So currently looking like this, all unpainted (with my chase pieces):
Caverns Starter Pack - $48 pledge level
Encounter 2 Core Pack - $57 (Straight Passage, 45 Passage and Widening Passage)
Crooked Caverns Pack - $37 (Corner Entrance, Convex Curve and Convex corner)
Caverns Floor Pack - $32 (6x6 Floor)
Stalagmite Pack - $28 (extra terrain for use with maps)
Camp Pack - $10 (the community said so :lol: )

On the fence:
Passage Pack - $27 (Straight Passage and 45 Passage)

Total $48 + $164

Ohhh but I like those passages.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:56 pm

YUP - LED - Too good a deal to pass up - once you have it the two non lighted ones will stay in the box ;) - but on a budget, i can see wanting to apply that elsewhere - $10 is a third of the floor pack or will pay for two of the water transition pieces (since you have water tiles probably a good investment)

Patience is key and you can have just about anything you want - not always immediately when you want it but the KS is a 1yr delayed gratification too - i have Sci Fi Gamma and an Ogre's Den - still holding out for a BETA and other rare things (Blowpipe Lizardman i'm looking at you!) but life is long and i'll get there eventually - plus if i had everything i wanted i wouldn't have the joy of hunting and anticipating

if you plan on getting a KS2 then it gets easier to drop 1 starter, plus you will have a functional set NOW and not wait a year

in my experience caverns need more walls and dungeons need more floors - i tend to build big dungeon rooms but caverns are all funky and have walls in the middle etc - i never run out of cavern floors, but do run out of walls - If you want to do the wallless builds (and i think those are kinda cool and certainly easy to access minis etc) then all my advice is worthless (probably is anyway!)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:58 am

Probably a good call on getting the large 6x6 floor tile now. That is why I am getting that to augment my pledge. I think it is mainly the LED aspect of the campfire that has many of us grabbing that bling.

Swiftbrook
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Swiftbrook » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:36 am

First: I love this community!

Second: I would not have anything to get if it weren't for the bigger fish in the ocean. Thank You!
Arcarius2001 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:33 pm
Camp pack is too good to pass up. You’ll get a lot of use from it.
My only problem with the Camp Pack is that I already have two camp fires and many bedrolls from a WizKids Deep Cuts set I got this summer.
kitenerd wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:00 pm
Do a quick sketch and see if you have enough walls to surround the 6x6 floor... uhm yeah, i thought so - i would wait on the floor pack until later
True however ... From that convention I went to last weekend, I used my DoD Curved Dias pack, but I needed two. I couldn't get a second from the store - they were out. The Straight Dias Pack wasn't even offered unpainted. So I figure if I am ever going to want the 6x6 floor, now is the only time to get it. And, when these sets are delivered next summer, I should have a little more spending money to pick up either some open stock at GenCon or a basic KS2 Caverns set from the store.

(out of time: more thoughts later)

Mobius
Orc
Orc

Post by Mobius » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:18 am

Glendel wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:24 am
Just keep in mind each floor you add needs walls. It is one thing to have a lot of one or the other left over if you are spending a lot of money, but on a strict minnow budget you want each and every piece you get to be working for you in my opinion.
The thought of adding more floors is not to build more chambers but larger chambers.

Simple Analogy:
A basic 4x4 square Cavern would need 16 tiles: 4 corner tiles, 8 wall tiles and 4 floor tiles
a basic 8x8 square Cavern would need 64 tiles: 4 corner tiles, 24 wall tiles and 36 floor tiles

You need a higher and higher ratio of floor tiles to wall tiles as the caverns get larger. DF has a lot of small caverns in their builds. If you play D&D, this matches a lot of 1e and 2e adventures. 3e-5e tend to have much larger battlefields to encourage tactical movement in combat. I end up needing to build gigantic (e.g. 16 x 20) caverns more often than I need to build a series of small caverns. I end up needing to sub dungeon floor tiles into my large cavern builds before I ever run out of walls.