How Long Does it Go On?

John D
Orc
Orc

Re: How Long Does it Go On?

Post by John D » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:22 am

@Law & zenako,
Wow, I also remember the Complete Strategist. Along with Games People Play (I used to work across the street at Mystery Train in the early/mid 90's), and Pandemonium in the Square. Throw in Million Year Picnic for comics and the circuit is complete.

electricmotorcycles
Orc
Orc

Post by electricmotorcycles » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:24 pm
The day 3D printing is as easy and reliable as home paper printing
as others have pointed out the various technology disruptions and changes, home printing also is not a useful gage; most people i know who used to have a home printer [myself included] no longer do for various reasons: toner to expensive, can get by with just digital, use the printer at work, etc...

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:16 pm

I did this the other way 'round b/c I already had a fair amount of accessories when I saw DwF...just as the stores were dumping it b/c DwF had decided not to do retail any more. So I got into resin incredibly cheap - about 30 cents on the dollar - my game store owner who was also a friend and a former Ranger [but from the inferior battalion....] gave me real deal on his personal collection after I bought out his store!

So seeing more unusual, not replicable bling and fiddly bitz like the Castle Necro and regular bling and the KS 5 stuff has been very nice. You can't get things like the Golem-that-leaps-from-the-wall anywhere else.

But I think you're exactly right, Arcarius - accessories are one way into the addic...I mean, hobby. Not everyone gets in the same way. I think every route explained hits different people out there.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:11 pm

Law wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:20 am
The very first DF I ever bought was a single bling piece completely impractical without more, and I didn’t care.

My wife and I were walking home from the MFA, spring of 2001, and I stopped in the Compleat Strategist on Mass Ave on a whim (“I used to play D&D!”). There was a DF dungeon on display, in use. It blew me away. They were out of stock of the basic build sets (room and passage, room set, etc) but they had the table and chair set and the mermaid fountain as a single. The tables were so detailed they blew me away, but on their own they weren’t fantasy-specific enough for me. My wife bought me the mermaid fountain.

It.... did not end there. ;)

It’s the bling that draws the eye. A lot of terrain companies make walls and floors. And picky buyers can decide to use mats or paper or 3D printing for basic walls. But the bling is impossible to resist.
[b]Are you still married, Law??

Just askin'....

TLW[/b]
WeaselWarGod

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:37 am

Wow Law, that used to be one of my favorite local gaming shops back in the day. Flashbacks are many. I think that was where I picked up my first booster or two of prepainted DDM from the Harbinger series back in 2003 I recall. I had been going there even before they changed the name to Complete Strategist for D&D modules and the like and some lead minis. The more boardgamey shop in Harvard Square (Games People Play) did not have much in the way of Tabletop gaming accessories. Later on up Mass Ave right over the city line into Arlington we found Excalibur Hobbies (since moved to Malden and renamed) for even more tabletop stuff, since they also had a heavy investment in wargames and toy soldiers.

All that being said, bling is an easy entry point since you only need a few things to be useful. Having just a few wall or floor tiles is not that satisfying and it is scary going big if you are not already sure you will use the stuff. In a perverse way, that was one of the appeals of Castles and of Cities. You could pick up enough for a Tower or one off location, and you can see yourself using builds like that over and over again. Same thing with some CBS stuff. Almost every RPG has parts of a session in some location with some buildings and having a nice visual building to look at sets the tone. I know I picked up the older DF mushroom set recently since I am sure I will find a circumstance to have the players interact with some shrooms at some poin.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:49 am

Law wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:20 am
It’s the bling that draws the eye. A lot of terrain companies make walls and floors. And picky buyers can decide to use mats or paper or 3D printing for basic walls. But the bling is impossible to resist.
Hmm, I have completely the opposite impression. Bling is easy to find on ebay, etsy, the game store, craft store, etc. I don't know where to find, for example, high quality cavern terrain or a modular mountain other than DF. There's Hirst I suppose, but I don't want to invest that kind of time. For dungeons I've found a few KSes with other terrain companies making walls and floors, but for other environments? Where?

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:20 am

The very first DF I ever bought was a single bling piece completely impractical without more, and I didn’t care.

My wife and I were walking home from the MFA, spring of 2001, and I stopped in the Compleat Strategist on Mass Ave on a whim (“I used to play D&D!”). There was a DF dungeon on display, in use. It blew me away. They were out of stock of the basic build sets (room and passage, room set, etc) but they had the table and chair set and the mermaid fountain as a single. The tables were so detailed they blew me away, but on their own they weren’t fantasy-specific enough for me. My wife bought me the mermaid fountain.

It.... did not end there. ;)

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:55 pm

I have hooked 2 people on Dwarven Forge by gifting them the Dungeon Accessories from KS1

Once they start using doors, beds, and chairs the quickly get the shakes and start ordering from the webstore...
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:49 am

arsthein wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:25 am
First, I think we should not underestimate the "bling", or I should say, accesories. Although the "have always bread and butter available because is the entry point of newcomers" is very valid, we should take into account that accesories are a very potentially big entry point for people. I know it was for me and others. What I mean is that when you don't have the cash (or availability) for a ton of bread and butter, if you are playing, let's say, on gaming mats, you may very well (and this is what I did big time with the resin wicked additions, dungeon furniture, treasures, and so on) want to get doors, chests, chairs and tables, wardrobes, magician's tables, libraries, etc, to make your plain 2D scenery cooler. Basic accesories should be a priority along with bread and butter.
arsthein brings up a point that has been brought up over the years. If DF packs accessories into packs so that gamers can buy them who can not yet afford or do not at this time need game tile terrain they have increased their customer base and opened the door to possible future terrain customers. Also if DF packs floors into packs so that terrain wall haters can get just the product they want that opens the door to those customers too.

DF has done some of this already and did it in KS6 but they have not really advertised it much.

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:25 am

Hi there pals, I just want to throw some points for consideration. I'm not saying they are more valid or prevalent than the ones already stated, but I think it would be good to not lose sight on them.

First, I think we should not underestimate the "bling", or I should say, accesories. Although the "have always bread and butter available because is the entry point of newcomers" is very valid, we should take into account that accesories are a very potentially big entry point for people. I know it was for me and others. What I mean is that when you don't have the cash (or availability) for a ton of bread and butter, if you are playing, let's say, on gaming mats, you may very well (and this is what I did big time with the resin wicked additions, dungeon furniture, treasures, and so on) want to get doors, chests, chairs and tables, wardrobes, magician's tables, libraries, etc, to make your plain 2D scenery cooler. Basic accesories should be a priority along with bread and butter.

Other thing to consider about the 3D printing matter is that, if 3D printing technology becomes so powerful that domestic printers allow to make very cool stuff easier, imagine what would professional factory 3D printers could do. That could, on the long run, potentially mean that DF (if they do well enough) could have a little factory with powerful 3D printing stuff (change the material if they have to) and get rid of the china factories. That could be potentially awesome. Just to throw some (not so much) sci-fi future tech into the mix.

And lastly, we should consider too (this argument is more flimsy but still worthy of having it in mind) if you find a way get to more customers bread and butter very cheap even cutting drastically the profit (but this would require being very successful in bussiness prior to that point) you would get a TON of new customers that then would be into the addiction of getting more specific environments and bling. I think this is the way a very powerful and massive company would do, and it wouldn't surprise me if eventually the "big boys" took this route to compete with DF.

Just more food for though I hope, not that I'm defending these as sure bets or key points or anything.

Greetings!

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”