Re: Feedback - KS6 Module & Live Play

Post by nielsene » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:25 am

QUESTIONS:
  • 1) Did you download the DoD module? -- Yes
    2) Did you play the DoD module? -- Yes
    3) Did you enjoy the DoD Module? -- Yes
    4) Do you plan on downloading the Caverns Deep module? -- Yes
    5) Do you plan on playing the Caverns Deep module? -- Yes
    6) Do you want the Caverns Deep module to be as elaborate in terms of presentation as the DoD mod? -- See below
    7) Do you even care about having a module included in your pledge for KS7? -- See below
    8) Would you pay $5-$10 for a PDF module of the DoD caliber for KS7? -- Yes
    9) Would you be interested in buying a hardcover copy of any of our modules? -- Yes
QUESTIONS:
  • 10) Did you watch any of the Descent into Doom videos? -- Yes
    11) Did you watch the first episode (the one we produced) for Descent into Doom? -- Yes
    12) Would you like to see similar videos for Caverns Deep? -- See below
Now for the further elaboration:
Prior to seeing the DoD module, I was ambivalent. I buy the terrain for my own use/recreating Paizo APs about 50/50. Didn't really need another standalone module at the time. Plus my gameplay aesthetic is a bit less old-school style in contrast to the flavor of the DoD, so I thought it would be a fun little thing to look at, but not something I'd run. However the production value was amazing and that sucked me in. I GM'd it and loved it. Planning to run an abridged version at a con later this year, as well. And hoping to run it for another group locally at some point. The inclusion/absence of a module wouldn't have affected my pledge during DoD, but going forward I definitely see it as a positive and would be sad to see it disappear.

Now I think a module of this sort would usually end up in the 64-96 page range in terms of the number of play sessions required to get through -- you could probably scale back some of the border graphics/multipage spreads and still have a visually stunning work, but reduce the page count by a factor of two. (Might be more of a factor if you try to go the hardcover/softcover route than PDF). I'm a PF player so I was very happy you included PF stats, though I know that adds extra work. I hope you can continue to include the PF stats.

I've been trying to teach myself bookbinding so that I could have a hardcover copy, but all the better if you can offer one directly! :) [I've done two trial projects and neither are good enough to use as a base for binding the DoD so need to keep building skills]

The DoD actual play episodes are hit or miss. The one produced in house was excellent. The next two I've watched were 'meh' for me. Both had fun personalities, not as captivating as your crew, and neither had their webcast setup designed in a way to really benefit/show of the terrain. In terms of showing off the fun/quirks of the module they were good.

All in all I think the module is a positive, especially as you say its mainly off-core-staff hours/focus. I think its a good marketing tool as well -- especially when the module is free/included in the KS. If the module becomes an paid KS add-on I think it loses some of that value. If the PDF module becomes a paid post-KS store item, I think it also loses some of the marketing value as well. If the Mythras sourcebook/KS/whatever form that shows up in starts to grow a library of DF books/print products, I think that changes a lot of the calculus of value as the side "print-arm" of the company might have to carry more of its own weight rather than being promotional support for the terrain.

In terms of video products you have (ranked from most important to least, IMO)
a) exploration of an encounter showing the pieces
b) DDD diorama/walkthrough mini-story
c) actual play in-house
d) actual play guest groups
Of course the first two have to happen during a KS, while the latter two can happen any time, so I know a true prioritization is a little odd. And it depends how much of your time is taken up with the tasks.

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Post by Rhizom » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:57 am

1,3,4,5,6,7 — yes
2,8 — no
9 — defintely! I do not like PDFs, but a real book I would love to buy!

10,11,12 — no. I do not watch playing. I rather play myself. That said: of course I watched all play videos where new terrain pieces were revealed or any beans could have been hidden.
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:24 am

QUESTIONS:

1) Did you download the DoD module? yes
2) Did you play the DoD module? no
3) Did you enjoy the DoD Module? na
4) Do you plan on downloading the Caverns Deep module?no
5) Do you plan on playing the Caverns Deep module? no
6) Do you want the Caverns Deep module to be as elaborate in terms of presentation as the DoD mod? no
7) Do you even care about having a module included in your pledge for KS7? no
8) Would you pay $5-$10 for a PDF module of the DoD caliber for KS7? no
9) Would you be interested in buying a hardcover copy of any of our modules? maybe

QUESTIONS:

10) Did you watch any of the Descent into Doom videos? no
11) Did you watch the first episode (the one we produced) for Descent into Doom? no
12) Would you like to see similar videos for Caverns Deep? na
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

natetaylor
Ogre
Ogre

Feedback - KS6 Module & Live Play

Post by natetaylor » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:51 am

Hey all!

We're evaluating our team bandwidth and want your feedback on how we should spend our time.

We spent a lot of effort (perhaps too much) on the DoD module, because we wanted it to be something that felt as premium as our terrain. And we're super proud of all 406 full-color pages of it.

But we could scale back, and do something a little simpler for the KS6 Caverns Deep module (at least in concept we could scale back, I'm not really programmed to do that).

No matter what we do with the module, it will be awesome. We have both Teos Abadia (who worked on the DoD mod) and Will Doyle (who worked on Tomb of Annihilation and Storm King's Thunder) currently toiling away turning my 80 page outline something magical. It'll be fun, and on time this year.

Also, I should make clear that time spent on the module doesn't really take away from time spent on the terrain. Aside from my time, it's almost exclusively a different team that does the module (with the exception of play-testing which is done by the whole creative team). So making an elaborate (or simple) module, doesn't mean the associated terrain will be affected.

With that all in mind, I now have a few questions:

QUESTIONS:
  • 1) Did you download the DoD module?
    2) Did you play the DoD module?
    3) Did you enjoy the DoD Module?
    4) Do you plan on downloading the Caverns Deep module?
    5) Do you plan on playing the Caverns Deep module?
    6) Do you want the Caverns Deep module to be as elaborate in terms of presentation as the DoD mod?
    7) Do you even care about having a module included in your pledge for KS7?
    8) Would you pay $5-$10 for a PDF module of the DoD caliber for KS7?
    9) Would you be interested in buying a hardcover copy of any of our modules?
Finally, we made an actual play video for the first 3 Encounters of DoD, which is here. It was relatively easy to produce (compared to the module). Is that sort of content something that's worth doing for Caverns Deep? Which leads me to a few more questions:

QUESTIONS:
  • 10) Did you watch any of the Descent into Doom videos?
    11) Did you watch the first episode (the one we produced) for Descent into Doom?
    12) Would you like to see similar videos for Caverns Deep?
We'll probably send out a survey to the full KS6 backer group, but I'd love to hear opinions from you guys in a place where you can actually elaborate and discuss, etc.

And you can be frank here. Don't worry about ruffling feathers. I want your honest feedback.

Thanks!

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”