It’s late July! It’s late July!

realarete
Orc
Orc

Re: It’s late July! It’s late July!

Post by realarete » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:51 pm

Wow ... shows how BIG under dark is as an encounter ... Awesome!

D___Man
Kobold
Kobold

Post by D___Man » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:44 pm

Here are a couple from the opposite end.
CD-2.jpg
CD-2.jpg (109.61 KiB) Viewed 179 times
CD-3.jpg
CD-3.jpg (96.32 KiB) Viewed 179 times

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:28 pm

Cool 8-) , any shots from the other end?
Not sure it's just me, but I would love to see it (the whole KS) all in stacks/piles of like pieces to see what all that looks like broken down into it's sorted parts spread out along the table. How many 1x1 floors to how many Stairway to Violence bases and tops did a whole set include, that sort of view-able picture.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:58 pm

Yowza.

D___Man
Kobold
Kobold

Post by D___Man » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:24 pm

Caverns Deep-1.jpg
Caverns Deep-1.jpg (122.99 KiB) Viewed 193 times
I was able to put together the complete Caverns Deep this weekend. The build guides are generally well done, I do remember a few errors but nothing that was a show stopper. One thing is the build guide is not organized for anyone building the whole cavern. Builds do not start from where the previous room left off and you have to figure that out as you go. It becomes an issue around the Hag's Den where it was hard to figure out where the build starts and how to orient it to fit with the other encounters. I think it starts near the Smuggler's Cove but there is a door in the room but it doesn't actually connect to the Smuggler's Cove. It was a door to nowhere. The build for the Ice Caverns starts at the opposite end of where it connects to the Mushroom Grotto. You have to guess where to start building it. You will still have to move it all once you get it down to connect it properly. The table is 4ft x 12ft but as you can see I needed a terrain tray to fit the Crystal Cavern on the table by a few inches. You may be able to fit it by moving everything to the right edge and angling the Ice Catacomb a little more. The whole Underdoom lights up nicely under black light. The mushrooms around all the caverns do too. Building the Underdoom is a little more challenging than the rest as you are putting pieces out in open space on terrain trays. When I got to the end I ran out of room for one wall. I had to move all the pieces in the corner out at an unnatural angle to get it in. The corner ended up not being square but looks fine. I was a little surprised at the size of the Dreadhollow Forest. The Kickstarter graphic shows it about 3/4 the size of the Underdoom but it is only half the size. Looks great though. I did get about a second Dreadhollow in add-ons. I will definitely add the rest of my pieces to double it's size. Overall extremely happy with the quality of sculps and the factory paint. Think it is the best yet from Dwarven Forge.

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:59 pm

I noted that there were a lot fewer in campaign changes or additions to KS6.66 (and PlagueStone preorder basically had none.) WHich should mean that DF has all their designs ducks in a row and should not have extended development issues with the factory. Taking that out of the timeline should enable them to be more realistic with production/shipping issues. Not to mention the "production manager" should be riding herd on all those things without being distracted by making videos, going to conventions or any of the creative or sales activities that also need to be done.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:23 am

More packages equals more fun - seems like it’s an expensive logistical nightmare for Dwarven forge to do it that way but on my end little gift every once in a while

Large campaigns every two years is a nightmare - from a business standpoint you’re gonna have one large influx of capital every 24 months and have to plan your operations around stretching that capital for two years??? - from a consumer standpoint that’s just way too much outlay for people to do every two years, it becomes a capital expenditure on the same order of magnitude as a car - what’s next 48 months financing???

Clearly smaller nimbler fulfill in one year or less kick starters run more frequently is the solution. Easier on everybody’s budget and better for Dwarven Forges planning purposes. I think if there were fewer overall dollars in play no one would have an issue with the second creative kick starter being started before the first had fulfilled.

In the end you make the same amount of product. By parceling it out in smaller increments you keep the hype up all the time - somebody’s always getting something delivered there’s always something new being launched and there’s always a buzz and always excitement. Plus you avoid the colossal peak valley workload for both the creative team and the fulfillment team.

Seems like that’s where we’re headed and I hope so because I think that’s the most sane model for all of us Dwarven Forge included
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:46 am

I actually preferred the incremental shipping they did. That gave me the stuff to play with eight (8) times since last summer. It also meant that each batch got a closer look and more time spent with checking out options and how it meshes with other sets. Had many of us gotten caverns and forest and doom all at once, it would be overwhelming and also result in thread overload. As it is, we have collectively been able to spread out the learning curve and to identify features and issues with the various waves of DF tiles. I recall how overwhelming it was when the entire DoD arrived in one batch! That was a lot to process.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:17 am

Riley wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:09 pm
Shipping was initially estimated for June 2019. :)
True. In hindsight (for me, at least), I wonder if the protracted shipping was a mistake. I’m glad I had some cavern goodies in my hands last September instead of only now - but it sure felt like an eternity to wait for the rest. If they had simply waited until now to ship, the end result would be similar (roughly six months longer than the estimate) but it would have FELT like less of an issue to some of us, because we simply would have ignored the issue until the stuff was going out.

I mean, more than a year passes after the campaign and one simply puts it out of one’s mind. It’s only once things begin to ship and you see people posting photos that you get excited for your stuff. It’s at that point that an extra six months can feel excruciating. DF didn’t know, none of us did, that this would take this long. I figured that “ship as it comes” would mean a month or two of goodies arriving every few weeks - not SIX MONTHS, with months and months between anything showing up or even being at the warehouse.

Hm. Really not sure. Maybe the best solution is for DF to acknowledge that large campaigns take longer and estimate 2 years for KS7. It’s a blow (what’s the delivery equivalent of “sticker shock”?) but it’s all about meeting projections and establishing expectations. Conveying confidence and competency to your backers - that you got this. This round didn’t give that impression. Hopefully they really will nail it next time.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:24 pm

Law wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:58 pm

Let’s hope we see an improvement for KS7!
+68 to this :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”