It’s late July! It’s late July!

Pizzabagel
Ogre
Ogre

Re: It’s late July! It’s late July!

Post by Pizzabagel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:23 am

John D wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:53 pm
Pizzabagel wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:56 am I’m hoping to receive some of the KS6 pieces before they close the pledge manager for KS 6.66. It might convince me to buy more pieces if I really like the new caverns pieces (I.e. trifecta, passages etc.(
AnimeSensei wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:08 pm Yeah, I haven't confirmed my KS6.66 pledge yet for that very reason.

Messing around with the pieces from the Summoner's Chamber convinced me to add a Lava Adv Builder Pack - I love the 4x4 convex curve, and those 1x1s are great problem solvers. But, yeah I didn't realize that until I had them in hand.
Thanks for the tip. I don’t have any 1x1 in my Hellscape pledge, so I need to look for a way to get sonme. I’m a little disappointed they didn’t put some in the floor pack.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Ok so I forgot to take pictures, but for those of you that did get an early shipment, have you compared the new Caverns Deep pieces to the KS2 caverns pieces?

The drybrush is a lot darker brown than the old ones. I thought they would try to match KS2, and while they I guess kind of can, they are definitely a different color side by side. If I mix everything up maybe it will all blend together?
101 Resin and 269 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Riley
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Riley » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:38 pm

AnimeSensei wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:31 pm The drybrush is a lot darker brown than the old ones. I thought they would try to match KS2, and while they I guess kind of can, they are definitely a different color side by side. If I mix everything up maybe it will all blend together?
Does that mean they are a good match for the resin caverns? :?: :P :?: (I actively dislike KS2’s drybrushing, so I am encouraged to hear that KS6 is not identical.)

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:15 pm

No, they don't match the resin caverns either. I checked those too. I'll try to get some pictures tonight.
101 Resin and 269 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:34 pm

AnimeSensei wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:31 pm Ok so I forgot to take pictures, but for those of you that did get an early shipment, have you compared the new Caverns Deep pieces to the KS2 caverns pieces?

The drybrush is a lot darker brown than the old ones. I thought they would try to match KS2, and while they I guess kind of can, they are definitely a different color side by side. If I mix everything up maybe it will all blend together?
Hmmm that is disappointing.

The idea from the discussions and pictures we had before was that they matched pretty well, but that there were some extra highlights that made KS6 nicer BUT still integrate well with KS2.

Can't wait to see what you post for pics. Mine are awaiting pick up at the UPS store. ;)

Riley
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Riley » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:57 pm

AnimeSensei wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:15 pm No, they don't match the resin caverns either. I checked those too. I'll try to get some pictures tonight.
Hmm. Well then, I I might be picking up some unpainted KS6!

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:04 pm

IMO, the reality is that over time (several years now) and space (that big blue thing out west called the Pacific), there is bound to be some differences between early KS paint and current KS paint schemas. One would hope that would not be the case, but unless the factory has had zero turnover in paint staff, consistent paint color/match, and has in hand detailed procedures, samples, how-to guides, etc., the variations are bound to show up.

I'm a one-man-in-house (mine) factory paint crew and even I have difficulty matching stuff I did years ago...doesn't help that I keep scattered records of what I used and which steps had which paint. :o

So, it's unpainted for me - all the way and then some.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:12 pm

Well, the painters are all "experts"....
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Blunderbuss
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Blunderbuss » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:14 pm

dice4hire wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:12 pm Well, the painters are all "experts"....
Dwarven Forge should really stop selling this idea. Their in-house resin master sculpts used for Kickstarter promotion might be painted by experts, but everything that comes from their overseas factory is painted by run-of-the-mill factory workers. It’s passable, and usable, but far from “expert.”

Much like “free” stretch goals, it’s inaccurate at best and dishonest at worst.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:21 pm

They could call the "free" stretch goals as Value Added Stretch Goals, but it might confuse Europe. ;) :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”