Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Slight color mismatch

Post by Oldent » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Riley wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:56 am
Oldent wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:28 pm
I do get a lot of pleasure painting so I try to match my resin.
Has anyone posted a guide to matching the core MasterMaze Caverns paint? As in, what (Pokorney/other) paints, in what steps?
Here is what I do.

Years ago on the Hirst Atrs forum worked our colors that work for Hydocal and resin. I can not get the colors any more so I when to Home Depot and had them mixed.

This is Glidden House Paint

The very dark green gray is near the base color of the base resin. Glidden Alpine Meadow. You will not need it
Dry brush the Glazed Ginger directly over the base Dwarvenite.
Then highlight it with Brook green. The Brook green is almost white egg shell.

The stone giant is just two colors. Use light brush strokes. I like a large mop brush for this kind of dry brush.

There are some more colors used with the resin. They are much like earth stone and card board. Paint them in before the dry brush.

I used umber, and the Gray base coat on this set. I used cardboard and cavern dry brush along with olive dry brush and earth stone.

I think the blend of paints in the videos will look good with the earth stone base for the flow stone.I used cardboard and several blends of cavern dry brush and Brook Green.

Base colors and primer make a lot of difference.The resin has a different texture this makes more difference over hydocal. Black primer will give the same colors a much bluer look.

I use the Glidden colors over Styrofoam. The yellow,olive,cavern mix my be better for some.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:56 am

Oldent wrote:
Has anyone posted a guide to matching the core MasterMaze Caverns paint? As in, what (Pokorney/other) paints, in what steps?

JalanDa
Goblin
Goblin

Post by JalanDa » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:06 am

William wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:18 am
Gotta say,................. I still like the resin paint best. ;)
yes. - nothing beats the original resin paint job

ilionblaze
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ilionblaze » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:57 am

The big issue is time. I simply don't have time to paint the amount of DF I buy. Heck if I buy a mini on a Tuesday for a Friday night game, I often have trouble finding the time to paint it.

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:25 pm

It’s a tough problem without a great answer: do they choose a paint scheme that matches an existing product line, or do they improve on it? It would be nice if the CD paints matched either KSII or resin caverns.

If I had to start over at KSI, or if anyone out there is just starting to get into this hobby, I would advise to go for unpainted every time. Buy Pokorney paints with the money you save, and write down the ratios of paints if you mix them.

They’re so easy to paint, anyone can do it. It’s like painting a house, you just have to stop worrying about it, and realize that your color choice is 10x more important than your detail work.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:15 am

Thanks for the pictures AS.

From DooFers that do not have any actual caverns coming we do think they look good :)
While not an exact match to previous Kickstarters they look close enough.

We happily mixed DoD ledges with Erinthor mountains without a problem, in fact the slight changes of colour breakup what would otherwise been just a mass of grey.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:58 am

The freestanding ruined wall piece from the Dungeon of Doom ruins has a drybrush of the CD brown instead of the more cream colored highlight. Just posting as a FYI.

rJ7Efw1cQ7GyUKmyZ86S6A.jpg
rJ7Efw1cQ7GyUKmyZ86S6A.jpg (63.09 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:59 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:47 am
period3 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:57 am
Can someone post a pic of painted caverns next to the painted erinthor mountains floor tiles? I'm wondering how the banks will work with erinthor.

Also, if anyone happens to have any unpainted erinthor, I wonder how different the base unpainted colors compare between unpainted erinthor and unpainted caverns.
v2UGvjR4T7u-0m90lSX_LA.jpg
Thanks! That match looks close enough for me! The scale difference is a bit of a bummer, but I think i can make do

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:08 pm

MrMorden wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:55 pm
Oldent wrote:
I agree.

Nothing wrong with that. On the table most players can't tell any difference though, it's only us DMs that obsess over these things. :lol:
[/quote]

For the average pieces I usual don't worry much. I want the center pieces to look nice.

I will add more highlight and washes to this part. I wont go to that trouble with passages.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:55 pm

Oldent wrote:
I agree.

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that. On the table most players can't tell any difference though, it's only us DMs that obsess over these things. :lol:

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”