Did Caverns Deep really have the basic needs?

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Did Caverns Deep really have the basic needs?

Post by GODofwar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:43 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:17 pm
GODofwar wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:51 am
Also a practical guess about how DwF really works, and how we might improve. Tanks, Rabbit.

OH- How is the election going? News claims the recent terr attack has taken over the campaign, is that so? (can you tell- I don't trust the Third Estate?)

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS 7, which I won't buy.
We are used to terror attacks sadly so not taken over the election campaigning, just the usual swollen promises, between looking after people or businesses.

Problem is you need to do both and both major parties cannot seem to get it right, then there are the personalities who are as untrustworthy as each other, combine that with the Brexit waste of time and its a bit of a shambles to be honest.

They did at least have a televised debate covering Climate change, which is a step in the right direction, just sad they did not all turn up.
Appreciate your detailed response, Rabbit. I'd rather talk to people than read/listen to journalists anymore...sad b/c I earned my way through college partly by stringing for AP & UPI, and working for my (large) university paper as an investigative reporter.

Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS7, which I won't buy....
WeaselWarGod

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Post by Arbados » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:46 am

So as the originator of this post I appreciate all the responses. I don't frequent the boards as often as many but I always check in when I have the chance. Great conversation and thank you. However, this conversation has gone all over the map. Fun and interesting, yes, but in the end I want DF to hear my core plea crystal clear and hope from the many comments they do. That is that new and diverse "BASIC FLOOR AND WALL TILLES ARE NOT A BAD THING and WE WANT THEM". Please consider this in the future as 17 pages of posts on the topic speaks for itself.

You may now tune back to the off-topic discussions and fun that has previously been had. I enjoyed reading them and thanks to adding to the post count of this topic as it helps it to get recognized. I kid all as I enjoyed the discussion. Great posts and thanks for supporting the Basic Tile Need Drive (BTND)!

When I look at what I have and what I want it's always tough. At times I want very district pieces for a game but I recognize that it's a 1x need and who knows how many other people would have a similar need. This is when I recognize that universal, basic and all encompassing pieces are the way to go. Tremendously specific pieces are NOT the angle to take for the majority. Yes, do that for some but in the end the majority should just be simple dungeon and cavern tiles that can add diversity of what we have. I support the BTND!

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:56 pm

Arbados wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:46 am
So as the originator of this post I appreciate all the responses. I don't frequent the boards as often as many but I always check in when I have the chance. Great conversation and thank you. However, this conversation has gone all over the map. Fun and interesting, yes, but in the end I want DF to hear my core plea crystal clear and hope from the many comments they do. That is that new and diverse "BASIC FLOOR AND WALL TILLES ARE NOT A BAD THING and WE WANT THEM". Please consider this in the future as 17 pages of posts on the topic speaks for itself.

You may now tune back to the off-topic discussions and fun that has previously been had. I enjoyed reading them and thanks to adding to the post count of this topic as it helps it to get recognized. I kid all as I enjoyed the discussion. Great posts and thanks for supporting the Basic Tile Need Drive (BTND)!

When I look at what I have and what I want it's always tough. At times I want very district pieces for a game but I recognize that it's a 1x need and who knows how many other people would have a similar need. This is when I recognize that universal, basic and all encompassing pieces are the way to go. Tremendously specific pieces are NOT the angle to take for the majority. Yes, do that for some but in the end the majority should just be simple dungeon and cavern tiles that can add diversity of what we have. I support the BTND!
Hear, Hear! Sign me on in support of the BTND....meaning basic tiles wit lots of variation. Dungeon wall tiles, for example, with damaged spots. Maybe something interesting at the damage place. But also mixed in with some basic tiles with additional uses (like a dungeion tile with a cast-in picture frame where we could put printed pix !)

For the record, I try to buy Basic Tiles and spectacular special pieces.

PS: Also, master builder pieces: 45* angles, 1x1 walls and floors, 1x2 walls and floors, 1x1 corners etc etc...all the equivalent of a Dungeon Master Builder set that lets the standard walls an floors get used in new ways.

WeaselWarGod

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:11 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:56 pm

Hear, Hear! Sign me on in support of the BTND....meaning basic tiles wit lots of variation. Dungeon wall tiles, for example, with damaged spots. Maybe something interesting at the damage place. But also mixed in with some basic tiles with additional uses (like a dungeion tile with a cast-in picture frame where we could put printed pix !)

[/b]
Agree!

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by DWChancellor » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Yes, definitely want more variations of basic pieces. This is what I'll be focusing on in the webstore. Would have loved more variations in straights, corners, and floors. All the great specialty pieces like passages have ruined me on the repetitiveness of the basic pieces, but those are what I need most to build out with!
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Post by Arbados » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:27 am

I love your idea GODofwar of a basic dungeon tile which allows diversity such as the "picture frame" or simply a spot to add different things. I understand that it leads to many small fiddly bits but I love tiles that offer versatility. Now, Caverns Deep did offer some variety in my build, but I wanted much, much more with walls primarily.

Paladin in Hell
Orc
Orc

Post by Paladin in Hell » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:38 am

The picture frame idea is indeed awesome. I already did something similar to that in a build recently but resorted to taping the picture on the wall. This seems like a magnetic accessory for maximum usability. I would like a small KS after KSVII that offered some expansion pieces to all previous environments. There are still so many missed opportunities there. KSVIII will be a city expansion, I'm guessing based on comments from Stefon and logic, so they wouldn't want to take too much of its thunder.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:45 pm

We may have covered this already (17 pages! yeesh), but KS2 Caverns provide a significant number of alternate wall and floor sculpts to augment KS6 CD. What would be really interesting (i.e. awesome) is if DF revised the paint scheme for these for their next production run to better match KS6.

This would allow them to simply have a "caverns" section in the store that has sculpts from both KS projects since most future buyers probably won't know or care about the history of where they came from. They could even rebrand some of the sets to better explain their purpose and provide guides on which sets work really well together (e.g. two basic walls & floors sets for each EPIC set or something). The ultimate version of this would be to issue new "encounter" guides (PDFs) that build from KS2 sets and KS6 sets, fully integrating the two product lines.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:47 pm

scott102303 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:38 am
The picture frame idea is indeed awesome. I already did something similar to that in a build recently but resorted to taping the picture on the wall. This seems like a magnetic accessory for maximum usability. I would like a small KS after KSVII that offered some expansion pieces to all previous environments. There are still so many missed opportunities there. KSVIII will be a city expansion, I'm guessing based on comments from Stefon and logic, so they wouldn't want to take too much of its thunder.
Hey, great idea. A 25mm pic frame would be easy to make out of balsa, stick a metal backing on it, and a mag wall...voila!

WeaselWarGod

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:59 pm

GardenDM wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:45 pm
We may have covered this already (17 pages! yeesh), but KS2 Caverns provide a significant number of alternate wall and floor sculpts to augment KS6 CD. What would be really interesting (i.e. awesome) is if DF revised the paint scheme for these for their next production run to better match KS6.

This would allow them to simply have a "caverns" section in the store that has sculpts from both KS projects since most future buyers probably won't know or care about the history of where they came from. They could even rebrand some of the sets to better explain their purpose and provide guides on which sets work really well together (e.g. two basic walls & floors sets for each EPIC set or something). The ultimate version of this would be to issue new "encounter" guides (PDFs) that build from KS2 sets and KS6 sets, fully integrating the two product lines.
The bolded statement is exactly what they should be doing as part of the KS, on launch day. People need to understand how the new pieces in a KS will integrate with their old. It would help their sales, it would help them not run around like a chicken with its head cut off, it would help us have more confidence in our purchases.

"This picture was taken using the parts from KS7 Pack X, Y, and Z, combined with Erinthor Mountains, Magma Rivers, etc." They'd sell more of X, Y, and Z... and people who are experiencing DF in the new from the current KS would know what to buy from the webstore to make their dreams come true.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”