Well, that didn’t take long...

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Well, that didn’t take long...

Post by pacarat » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:29 pm

Thanks for the kind words, William. It’s been an interesting, fun, but definitely seat of the pants effort. :)

Yep, that diagonal slash is supposed to be a stream or cut of some sorts. It didn’t photograph well. I plan to put some water effects along it, and then down the front of the escarpment.

I may take a whack at your suggestion on the vines - they are indeed repetitive.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:57 pm

Very nice. 8-)

I was thinking those roots or whatever that squiggly cluster is to the right of the steps, shows a bit repetitive in some layouts. I think I would rock or bush over some of those features if I were doing some. It's looking great otherwise.

The semi-overhead picture (#5) where it has a white diagonal patch on top of the escarpment, reminded me of my cavern 'streams' cut into some floor tiles. The way the white GS looks like a straight line groove (yes, I'm probably seeing it wrong) makes me think some of those similar 'streams' would be cool in a forest or down an escarpment face. It also sounds like a lot of work lining it all up and also making it modular. Glad I don't have any, because they would sit for years while I ponder what I w/c/should do. I love that you are a man of action and just went for it.

Congrats, you will have a very distinctive forest and more versatile than most of us schlubs will have. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 pm

Took some time today and yesterday to get these escarpments done - completing my initial batch of modified tiles. Will wait and see what KS7 brings before I do any more GS mods.

And this guy re-used some off cuts. Still some tweaks needed on that first step. Was going to do a cave entrance hole but decided on a stepped access to upper level.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:26 pm

I remember those. ;) Nice.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Law wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 am
A somewhat simple custom idea I had (I’m not planning to do it myself, though depending on what KS7 offers I might consider it).

The KS6 cavern floors are like 80-90% of the way to being good forest floor tiles. All they’d need would be some green stuff and a paint job. Four steps:

<snip>

Still, it shouldn’t take much, is the point. You don’t need a ton of textured coverage because some uneven rocks would actually make sense. You could even paint the “moss” dark brown, as dirt, if you wanted. The point would be just to make the tiles something other than a uniform 2x2” rock tile - break it up with at least a little grass and moss and leaves. If you really have the skill, of course go ahead and add a twig or two and even some of them more elaborate fauna from the official tiles. But this quickie approach should give even novices a passable way to fill the grid with the kind of 2x2 forest tiles we want.

These are some “2x2” test tiles I did four or five years ago...could be used above (or even possibly below) ground.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

My KS 6 Shipped! Yahoo!

Post by GODofwar » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:18 pm

Now all I have to do is figure out how to do is figure out how to load at least 3 huge boxes from my business postal service office into my car...get them out of the car into the basement...while on crutches with a 'no weight bearing' curse on my left knee!

This is why the Gods invented Offspring.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, including the rumored but unlikely KS7
WeaselWarGod

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 am

A somewhat simple custom idea I had (I’m not planning to do it myself, though depending on what KS7 offers I might consider it).

The KS6 cavern floors are like 80-90% of the way to being good forest floor tiles. All they’d need would be some green stuff and a paint job. Four steps:

1) Place a lump of green stuff over one or two places on the floor tile - maybe totally over one “rock” (ie filling the space between cracks). With a sculpting tool (or pencil top) pockmark it with little holes.

2) Place several little green stuff dots on the tile. Flatten them into teardrop shapes for leaves.

3) Paint all the green stuff a with whatever shade you want - light green for the lumps and light brown for the leaves.

4) Inkwash the resulting green stuff - dark green on the moss and brown on the leaves.

Is it going to be perfect? Eh probably not - colors can come close to matching factory paint if you consult the videos at least. But while this involves minimal sculpting skill, the result is going to vary depending on just how good you are.

Still, it shouldn’t take much, is the point. You don’t need a ton of textured coverage because some uneven rocks would actually make sense. You could even paint the “moss” dark brown, as dirt, if you wanted. The point would be just to make the tiles something other than a uniform 2x2” rock tile - break it up with at least a little grass and moss and leaves. If you really have the skill, of course go ahead and add a twig or two and even some of them more elaborate fauna from the official tiles. But this quickie approach should give even novices a passable way to fill the grid with the kind of 2x2 forest tiles we want.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:23 am

So we would be pretty confident we can cut things up good ;)
But your sculpting is top notch p-rat :)

Looking forward to see the painted versions and a few builds.

Also we like your alternative tree configurations, need to try some of those ourselves
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:50 pm

Awesome, 8-) 8-) are some of those low sink holes for puddles or critters?

Have you considered cutting any of the 3x3 or 3x6 tiles to fit things into the forest tiles easier? Like taking a 3x6 Forest tile and making (3) 1x2's and (3) 2x2's? Then when you drop in a building or castle, it can by surrounded by forest tiles without any cavern stone or whatever non-forest floor tiles along an edge or maybe 1x's on both sides. Anyway, just a thought, and I bet you have the skill to fill the bottom edge along the cuts, so the tiles sit flat.

Anyway, they are looking good Willis. ;)

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:14 pm

Latest sculpting on the modified tiles. Just the escarpments left to do.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”