Well, that didn’t take long...

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Well, that didn’t take long...

Post by pacarat » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:05 am

Starting some mods on the stone banks. Plan is to mix with DH forest banks.

Moss layers...

And the initial cuts on the water transition... still thinking over further mods.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:23 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:13 pm
I just want to chime in and say - this debate has been raging in the kite community for 20 years or more - both sides have very valid points and neither side seems willing to change their mind... so please let's not get into the debate here ;)

I will say this - if you are going through the insane amount of effort to make your own tiles - it seems a small increment to make them your own original sculpts - look at the DF tiles for inspiration and creatively expand on what you see - it will add diversity to your builds and a greater sense of pride to your accomplishments

these forums are full of examples of beautifully created home sculpts - some of these home sculptors got hired by DF - join the ranks of the truly elite and label yourself a craftsman AND an artist!
That's great if you are a sculptor.

Up front - I"m generally one of the more hard-assed defenders of intellectual property you'll meet. I don't see why intellectual property isn't protected forever, not just a few years. If I buy a house, I don't get it for 75 years - its mine. But if I come up with a totally unique idea, y'all get it for free after X years? Crazy, from my POV.. Copying a DwF piece - making a mold of a whole wall or corner - deprives DwF of revenue. I don't see any way that can be 'fair use' or any other legal reason to copy without violating copyright.

Copying a DETAIL of a DwF piece does NOT deprive DwF of revenue. You would not, I think, realistically be required to buy a piece, carve off the detail and use it. I'm trying the Sculpey method suggested. I don't see a legal or ethical problem with that. Especially when I intend to create pieces DwF does not make at all and decorate them with the details.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:13 pm

I just want to chime in and say - this debate has been raging in the kite community for 20 years or more - both sides have very valid points and neither side seems willing to change their mind... so please let's not get into the debate here ;)

I will say this - if you are going through the insane amount of effort to make your own tiles - it seems a small increment to make them your own original sculpts - look at the DF tiles for inspiration and creatively expand on what you see - it will add diversity to your builds and a greater sense of pride to your accomplishments

these forums are full of examples of beautifully created home sculpts - some of these home sculptors got hired by DF - join the ranks of the truly elite and label yourself a craftsman AND an artist!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:22 pm

Trollface wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:10 pm
Removed the reference to DF. I was explaining how to make a mold, of well anything :)
Really thinking more about how to put vegetation textures on foam without having to sculpt every single one.
It's been argued before on the forum about making copies for personal use, and the general consensus at the end was that DF doesn't sell molds or STLs, they sell their product directly, so copying is likely frowned upon, I don't think they have ever gone after anyone legally (though I know of one person who was selling copies of DF pieces that may have got a cease and desist letter), it's generally in good practice to avoid making copies if you can help it.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Trollface
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Trollface » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:10 pm

Removed the reference to DF. I was explaining how to make a mold, of well anything :)
Really thinking more about how to put vegetation textures on foam without having to sculpt every single one.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Trollface wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:11 pm
@GodofWar
I made molds out of sculpy. To be precise I like to use a mix of super sculpy original and super sculpy firm. What I do is take the DF bit I want to mirror and coat it with water. Then I make a sculpy bit, flat on the bottom and with a grip on the back. Then press the flat part of the sculpy onto what you want to make an impression of. Then carefully bake.

To use the mold mix some green stuff and let it sit for 15-20min, if it is too sticky it will just stick in the mold.
use a piece of glass or hard plastic and coat with a little petroleum jelly (a very thin film) and roll out the greenstuff. Coat the greenstuff with water and press the mold onto it. Carefully lift the greenstuff off the glass and attach where you want it. If your mold is a smaller bit, you can put the greenstuff on the foam first and then press the mold in. This probably works with some airdry clay as well. I noticed in the twitch stream that Ely has many home made little sculpy tools to make patterns on the clay.

@William I use a sharp box cutting blade and a cheap version of the of foam factory bow tool and pen to carve foam. I also have a proxxon foam cutter I got cheap to cut the foam to size. I have some jigs I built for it to make shapes like hexagons. Oldent wins, he has more tools than I do :)
Glad I asked. Would not have thought of this. Thank you.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:57 pm

@All:

While I appreciate all the modding tips and tricks, I am uncomfortable having this thread become a how-to on copying DF sculpt details, whether for home use or not. (And not going to get into a debate on legality, ethics, etc.)

Please take further discussion on that to a different thread.

“Please put your hands in the yellow dots. Your cooperation is appreciated”. :)

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:53 pm

Trollface, I purchased the Avalon cutter in 97 or 98. I do not have a Proxxon but I have used one of my friends. I upgraded my Hot wire cutter with zero clearance wire space. I have several Shifting lands accessory's modified to fit. The power source is the most important part of the hot wire cutter. I like the thin Proxxon wire. Source some of the thick wire to make jigs.

I use a modified drill press table for thin precise cuts.

I usually cast accessory's for DF but I have made a number of 100% pink foam models.

I am looking forward to more photos and Mods :!: Some cool stuff 8-)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Trollface
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Trollface » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:11 pm

@GodofWar
I made molds out of sculpy. To be precise I like to use a mix of super sculpy original and super sculpy firm. What I do is take the item I want to make a mold of and coat it with water. Then I make a sculpy bit, flat on the bottom and with a grip on the back. Then press the flat part of the sculpy onto what you want to make an impression of. Then carefully bake.

To use the mold mix some green stuff and let it sit for 15-20min, if it is too sticky it will just stick in the mold.
use a piece of glass or hard plastic and coat with a little petroleum jelly (a very thin film) and roll out the greenstuff. Coat the greenstuff with water and press the mold onto it. Carefully lift the greenstuff off the glass and attach where you want it. If your mold is a smaller bit, you can put the greenstuff on the foam first and then press the mold in. This probably works with some airdry clay as well. I noticed in the twitch stream that Ely has many home made little sculpy tools to make patterns on the clay.

@William I use a sharp box cutting blade and a cheap version of the of foam factory bow tool and pen to carve foam. I also have a proxxon foam cutter I got cheap to cut the foam to size. I have some jigs I built for it to make shapes like hexagons. Oldent wins, he has more tools than I do :)
Last edited by Trollface on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:50 am

My Hotwire Foam Factory toolkit - which means I can have the tools to do what you suggested.Yay!

The Chief Lease Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, including KS7
WeaselWarGod

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”