Well, that didn’t take long...

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Well, that didn’t take long...

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:48 am

Oldent wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:03 am

Don't forget that one of the best ways to texture foam is to beat it with a rock.

I added a little sand when I did the base coat.

Try different shaped rocks and bricks. Although I have several types of hot knives and wires,a bread knife will work fine.

A bondo grader is also a good over looked tool for round flat surfaces. Mark the slope with a line then grade it. If you use sandpaper wear a mask. You do not want to breath the dust.

Here is an experiment I started an hour a go.

I bent the thick wire into the shape of a DF cliff. I shaped a strip of scrap and beat it with a brick.A bit too hard. I can cut the strip to the correct height and cuts some more detail with a hot pin. I think it is a good proof of concept.I will make a 2'X1'X1" for a new back drop.

If you spend more than 10 minutes making an escarpment it will look a lot better. ;)
Yesss! Thanks for the reminder, and wow, advice just when I need it....the hot wire bent to match DwF ….excellent. Thank you, Oldent!

The Chief Lease Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, including KS7
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:46 am

William wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:24 am
Very Cool. 8-) 8-)

As RB said, very nice foam carving.
Do you have a picture of the tools you are using for the finer foamery details? Are the boulders added or carved into the foam sheet itself? I've had a notion to do something like this, after Tom's foam sheets in his builds. I think doing an edge/escarpment will be easier and more modular than full sheets like he used to use.

Example of Tom's 'foam' here in some of his older threads.
Toms foam 001.jpg

I think I'll go with the edges like your's and skip the full sheets.
Thanks again for the post. Fine work. :!:
Me, too. Wow, Tom (what's his Trog handle?) does some amazing Junkyard Dog work!

WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:44 am

Trollface wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:33 pm
Why thank yer.
I don't know if it came out in any of the pictures, so here's a close-up of some of my 1" embankments with vegetation. I made some sculpy molds of the DF embankment plants, and some of my own sculpts. These aren't for sale, just for me, so no plagiarism issues. Anyway, this helps to match DH tiles.
Do you mean molds made OUT of Sculpy (in which case do you cast hyrdrostone?) or molds made FOR Sculpy (ie, to press Sculpy into?

Either way, a brief explanation would be apprciated. I've been trying to figure out exactly this problem - how to copy some of the DwF details for personal use like this.

And...are the vegetation bits on the Escarpents (I have none) significantly different than those on say the Stone Banks or the Forest Banks?

WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:41 am

Trollface wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:20 pm
Well already started on some foam embankments, but for a different purpose. I am going to build dome adapters to use these with my DH embankments though.

Here is the motivation, I have all these terra tiles... END

Trollface, I bet you have a pile of GeoHex too. Did you just use GEoHex to draw lines on the foam and then reproduce with a hot knife?

Hmmm...I have a pile of GeoHex too, and I do use it. I was thinking about 45* escarpments. So thanks, great idea. Why have TWO separate terrain raising systems?

Thanks!

WeaselWarGod

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:40 am

William wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:57 am
That is a cool carving tool. 8-)

So far I only have a single hot wire stick cutter, but I think I can do something similar. I did notice it has some time of use requirements though. It was a Christmas gift. I really should get another that can be used longer. I need to get going on this project, but still have a few other things I'm in the middle of. I had a few of your (OMW) pictures from before, but never knew you used a Surform on it. I have a few different shapes of those for auto body work that might come in handy. Thanks for tossing that pick in. ;)

EDIT - Hot pen, that's it.

The thick wire on the sculpting tool is used like a clay cutter.

The same tool with a brace and a thin wire. I like a copping saw shaped handle better.

The long wire is best used as a drill or pen.

There is a pen as well.You can use the accessory and a straight edge to cut a grid into a 4'X8' and keep a uniform line

My Avalon table unit has ribbon cutter and copping saw attachments. There is a home made bow saw in the photo too
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:57 am

That is a cool carving tool. 8-)

So far I only have a single hot wire stick cutter, but I think I can do something similar. I did notice it has some time of use requirements though. It was a Christmas gift. I really should get another that can be used longer. I need to get going on this project, but still have a few other things I'm in the middle of. I had a few of your (OMW) pictures from before, but never knew you used a Surform on it. I have a few different shapes of those for auto body work that might come in handy. Thanks for tossing that pick in. ;)

EDIT - Hot pen, that's it.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:44 am

Trimmed to height.I cut some of the detail deeper with the hot pen.

Then I pinched off some bits. Get rid of anything that looks like a straight line.
Paint this black with a water based paint.Some people add glue/PVA to the paint. Dry brush it gray and see if you need to pinch off any more unnatural looking lines. Then touch up the base coat and add a bit of sand.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:03 am

Don't forget that one of the best ways to texture foam is to beat it with a rock.

I added a little sand when I did the base coat.

Try different shaped rocks and bricks. Although I have several types of hot knives and wires,a bread knife will work fine.

A bondo grader is also a good over looked tool for round flat surfaces. Mark the slope with a line then grade it. If you use sandpaper wear a mask. You do not want to breath the dust.

As you create a slope you will need to make sure it is not too steep for figures.

William wants something more like a back drop.

Here is an experiment I started an hour a go.

I bent the thick wire into the shape of a DF cliff. I shaped a strip of scrap and beat it with a brick.A bit too hard. I can cut the strip to the correct height and cuts some more detail with a hot pin. I think it is a good proof of concept.I will make a 2'X1'X1" for a new back drop.

If you spend more than 10 minutes making an escarpment it will look a lot better. ;)

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:24 am

Very Cool. 8-) 8-)

As RB said, very nice foam carving.
Do you have a picture of the tools you are using for the finer foamery details? Are the boulders added or carved into the foam sheet itself? I've had a notion to do something like this, after Tom's foam sheets in his builds. I think doing an edge/escarpment will be easier and more modular than full sheets like he used to use.

Example of Tom's 'foam' here in some of his older threads.
Toms foam 001.jpg
Toms foam 001.jpg (107.34 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Toms foam 002.jpg
Toms foam 002.jpg (90.51 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Toms foam 003.jpg
Toms foam 003.jpg (70.78 KiB) Viewed 223 times
I think I'll go with the edges like your's and skip the full sheets.
Thanks again for the post. Fine work. :!:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

NiandoBG
Orc
Orc

Post by NiandoBG » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:06 am

Late, but can‘t just read without make compliments.

Again, awesome idea and realization of the 3 Inch Escarpment Pieces and the new bank piece.

Looking forward to see them painted..
more than 2,800 self painted dwarvenite pieces :)

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”