So - what will people get from the store?

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: So - what will people get from the store?

Post by GODofwar » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:05 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:28 am
Luckily there has been some shipping options here in Asia that have helped my last few orders, but the stock here is very limited and the ordering process is not really optimal as i usually like to add and subtract items from orders to see how the shipping changes but not really possible at this time.

Jay is awesome though.
Jay is very awesome. I don't know what his day job is, but he sure spends a lot of time on DwF!

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, including the rumored but unlikely KS7
WeaselWarGod

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:22 pm

You may recall, that’s the system DF used before KS. They moved to pre-orders for most sets.

I think KS has been more successful for them - the “event” nature brings more attention, gets people more hyped, makes it more possible to sell a whole theme instead of (even a few hundred of) just a few sets.

I’m sure it could be refined. TBF, we’ve seen more restocks, more often, and more complete than we did for awhile there. Though I wouldn’t speak to how extensive or how often they’ve been - the KS campaigns are such drains on wallet and space I tend to treat restocks very lightly.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:53 am

While I have picked up things from the store around 10 times the bulk of my DF has been from the KSs. I do hope that in the near future DF is able to setup a store preorder system, I would really like to be able to place a request for out of stock items and then if DF had enough requests for particular items in a three month window they would take full payment and have them produced plus some for their stock.

Heck based on forum responses to DreadHollow pics, if DF had started a preorder for it this month they would already be sending another order to the factory.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:55 am

We have ordered from the store a couple of times and the shipping and then VAT is a back breaker which is why we get all that we think we need in the KS.

While we would like more escarpments and trees, we can more than cope with what we have and will wait until we see what is in KS7 before raiding the store.

GODofwar wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:57 pm
Rabbit, I've been tempted by escarpments and cliffs. They should work really well for 'fronting' my cheep-cheep-cheep pink foam 2" fillers. But I have to get KS6 and 6.66 before I plunge for more. If Spousal Unit sees the Small Whale check Jay has got for KS6, she might be a tad unhappy.

Totus KS Delenda Sunt, including KS7, which is hallucinatory only.
Escarpments would do that perfectly :)

Given that shipping in the US is miniscule compared to the RoW you could try spreading out your buys so there are a few small checks rather than 1 big one.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:28 am

Luckily there has been some shipping options here in Asia that have helped my last few orders, but the stock here is very limited and the ordering process is not really optimal as i usually like to add and subtract items from orders to see how the shipping changes but not really possible at this time.

Jay is awesome though.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Mitch
Orc
Orc

Post by Mitch » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:29 pm

I've never bought from the store as OS shipping is a deal breaker. That's why I try and get everything during the KickStarters. Budget and sanity restraints there means I'll miss out on a number of things (DH for instance) but them's the breaks. I'm happy with what I can get.

I'm planning to get some door packs at some stage this year when they're back in stock but this is a once off. Four small packs for example is adding about $80+ in shipping (the equivalent of an extra pack). Add to that the exchange rate and the wallet is really hurting.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:05 pm

True. I have picked up some things in the store, but I've mostly been using the campaigns, and being able to get exactly what I want, and as soon as possible, is a big draw for me. It's always been frustrating to me that the campaigns are huge, and the expectation is that you can save some things for later, but you never know what will be around. I understand why it's that way -- DF is too small to keep a full inventory on hand at all times just in case -- but I wish there was a way to make it work more smoothly. :/

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:25 pm

Getting what you want is a big benefit, sadly. Too bad people cannot get what they want in the store.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Gulelin
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Gulelin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:47 pm

Law wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:56 pm
Gulelin wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:42 pm
Law wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:31 pm
They said they will definitely announce - but it sounded like backers get an early heads-up. Anyone who didn’t back may have to watch the forums for chatter about it if they want that advance notice.
I hope this isn't true. It's pretty frustrating if so - I had no idea DF existed when this KS was live. Giving people who already had the chance to buy it over someone who didn't seems like strange logic to me. I shouldn't be punished because I'm new. Luckily I just barely snuck into Hellscape :D
Fair point. And I could be wrong - I believe Nate said something like “we’ll give you all a heads up,” which could have meant backers or it could have meant Forumites. The practical effect would likely be the same - I imagine we’ll all come here screaming about things being in stock the minute anyone knows. It’s a generally supportive community. DF may also limit initial orders to be sure more people get a chance.

As far as policy - it’s a tough call. On the one hand, giving backers a second shot at product before the general public is a bit skewed. On the other hand, the whole point of backing a KS is to get some kind of perk - lately it’s been harder for DF to provide much in the way of free extra pieces or even a significant discounted price. The margins are just too slim for either. So letting backers know “Hey If you support the KS, you not only get your product before it hits the store, you get a quick first-notice about the product when it does hit the store” would be an incentive to back. It isn’t meant to punish people who didn’t know about the KS - backing a campaign is always meant to provide benefits. I’ve certainly seen other KS campaigns (by other companies) where backers are promised early notice on pre-orders etc.
You know, the funny thing is I feel like the biggest benefit the kickstarters seem to offer for DF is getting as much as you want of what you want. As weird as that sounds it really is a big benefit. It's been so hard to get the stuff I want because of things being out of stock. I started collecting in late July and I have probably ordered 30 times! The more I collect and build the more I know about what stuff I should be buying. With Hellscape I was able to do some decent planning, and with The Wildlands it will be even better.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:57 pm

Rabbit, I've been tempted by escarpments and cliffs. They should work really well for 'fronting' my cheep-cheep-cheep pink foam 2" fillers. But I have to get KS6 and 6.66 before I plunge for more. If Spousal Unit sees the Small Whale check Jay has got for KS6, she might be a tad unhappy.[color]

Totus KS Delenda Sunt, including KS7, which is hallucinatory only.
WeaselWarGod

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”