Re: pacarat’s Dreadhollow paint test

Post by zenako » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:14 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:18 pm
zenako wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:39 pm
GODofwar wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 am
Bits of blood here and there on the thorns! OUch!

Seriously, that could be cool, esp if the blood was a really intense red but only applied on tiny, tiny bits. Simulating a single thorn (but out of scale of course, or it would never be noticed).

TLW
it would not be hard to make it real blood, some of those small thorns are very sharp! and one can feel them even easier when working on painting them. As for details, one thing I am doing is NOT painting any of the special features like bunnies in the brambles, frogs on the tiles, or lizards on the escarpments. Having those repeat is more annoying to me than flora that doubles up each time. Working on some gray trunked fall color scheme canopies right now. Will post some shots when they finish in the next few days.
Lord, I haven't even noticed the rabbits.

TLW
I believe at one point they even indicated it was to be a homage to the one and only RB.. :)

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:49 pm

The fitters can be used to make trees. I have see much better and much worse.

They look better when the material is pulled a part. These are too thick

Try 1/3 as thick. Pull it apart and make it more raged.Some R&R modelers put a lot of time in them.They can look very nice.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:56 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:34 pm
Pacarat, that stuff is GREAT! And a little goes a long way. Why don't you get more suitcases and sell a bit here? I wonder if some if Michaels....aw hell, they're shuttered!

Here you have a chance to become a DEALER!! And in tough times.

Does it take paint well?

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, incl KS whatever
I could have brought back six suitcases worth... :oops:

Dry brush or spray works. Here’s some Dark Africa themed bushes from a few years back. Also used this technique for my 15mm scale Normandy hedgerows.

HD and Lowes carry this brand... dark blue green and one inch thick.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:34 pm

Pacarat, that stuff is GREAT! And a little goes a long way. Why don't you get more suitcases and sell a bit here? I wonder if some if Michaels....aw hell, they're shuttered!

Here you have a chance to become a DEALER!! And in tough times.

Does it take paint well?

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, incl KS whatever
WeaselWarGod

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:51 pm

More experiments in reducing the Paul Bunyan Effect... this time without cutting anything. :D

Other than the brambles, DF does no low level flora (bushes & shrubs).

Intent is to camouflage some of the unused tree trunks, and break up the binary tree or flat ground levels.

Here is horse hair type filter used for swamp cooler or other HVAC air filters. Comes in a 2” x 24” x 36” or something like that. These pieces actually came from Germany, and had been used as packing for network gear being returned to a base on the east coast. It was interesting explaining to my colleagues and customers why we really didn’t need to throw all of it away, and more interesting packing it in my suitcases on my return.

These will be sprayed brown, then dry brushed a lighter tan. Then various assorted flocks and/or leaf material will be glued on.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:18 pm

zenako wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:39 pm
GODofwar wrote:

Seriously, that could be cool, esp if the blood was a really intense red but only applied on tiny, tiny bits. Simulating a single thorn (but out of scale of course, or it would never be noticed).

TLW
it would not be hard to make it real blood, some of those small thorns are very sharp! and one can feel them even easier when working on painting them. As for details, one thing I am doing is NOT painting any of the special features like bunnies in the brambles, frogs on the tiles, or lizards on the escarpments. Having those repeat is more annoying to me than flora that doubles up each time. Working on some gray trunked fall color scheme canopies right now. Will post some shots when they finish in the next few days.
Lord, I haven't even noticed the rabbits.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:39 pm

GODofwar wrote:

TLW

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 am

TLW
WeaselWarGod

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:32 am

Close-ups of the brambles.

I did two basic color schemes. Not sure looking at unpainted castings what they would look like painted, so just did a basic pj of base and two successive highlights. Not sure what more details could/should be added. Maybe some light tan thorns?

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:21 am

My home town in central California didn't have too many basements. There's a very hard layer of clay that we called hard-pan that made basements difficult/costly to construct. Most of the homes in that area had concrete slab floors for decades. Not sure if still the norm there, haven't been in building industry in decades. My first "real" (not Taco Bell) job was with a Civil Engineer who did street design and subdivisions. I was the new youngster out in the 115 degree summer heat, pounding iron rods into lot corners with a sledge hammer to a depth that was damn near impossible in that hard-pan. The job hunt continued and I was in air conditioning before summer ended. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”