Erinthor - KS6 Style

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Erinthor - KS6 Style

Post by pacarat » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:37 pm

Looks great, and interesting details on a/b’ing.

Curious on how resilient that thin a/b coat is... once dry, do you have any evidence of it rubbing off? I have had issues in past with over-thinning acrylics and seeing some degradation in adherence.

This would be perfect for all the Castle greys, since there are like nine :shock: different shades of dwarvenite and super hard plastic dwarvenite from that KS.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:28 pm

Fabulous job Tb they look cracking :)
MrMorden wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:01 am
House paint will go through an airbrush...but will it ever come out of the airbrush? 🤔
Any paint will go through an airbrush* if you apply enough thinners and up the air pressure enough, at least according to yours and our mate Kenny Boucher :D

*though maybe not texture paints ;)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Tenbears
Orc
Orc

Post by Tenbears » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:47 pm

You could use water or air brush thinner to thin the paint - I just used air brush thinner. Just make sure you stir it up before you you shoot and that it’s thinned down. Another trick to mix the paint is to back flow air into the pot by putting your hand in front of the nozzle. It redirects the air back into the air brush and sends it bubbling through the pot area so that will mix it too. There is a video of someone even using windex on you tube with house paint. All of them work.

I bought Behr Marquee brand Vego and it was around 50/50 for the thinner to paint combination. It dries slightly (a couple minutes) slower than other paint I’ve used after airbrushing. There did not appear to be any visible issues as I threw them in a cardboard box as I finished.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:19 pm

So... pardon my nosiness... lots of questions:

Mixing enamel and acrylic paints worked? Wow. I would never have thought such a mixture could work... but clearly they turned out beautifully! Did they take long to dry? No residual stickiness? The paint is not rubbing off or flaking off even if pieces are tossed in a bin/bag?

Which line of Behr paint were you using? Ultra? Premium Plus? Marquee? Something else?

And kodiakbear already asked about the thinning agent...

So I read your note that the final mix was about 1 part Behr Thorny Branch, 1 part Pokorny Black, 2 parts thinning agent to airbrush it?

Thanks!

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:55 am

Tenbears wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:53 am
How you mix this is up to you but I mixed it in the air brush bowl with about a 50/50 split of thinner and the finished paint color. That’s really it! (it had the desired milky consistency.)
What did you use as a thinner?

Tenbears
Orc
Orc

Post by Tenbears » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:53 am

Couple responses:

As far as sharing how I matched the base color. I used an app from Home Depot to take a picture of the unpainted KS6 piece to determine its color. (Credit - William!) It ended up being Behr brand Thorny Branch color paint (matte finish is what I used but you can use semi gloss etc). For whatever reason in talking to William this seems to happen both from his experience doing this and also was the same for me that the “match” ended up lighter after it was sprayed on the KS4 piece than the base KS6 piece so I had to improvise a bit to get where I wanted from there, It was not that hard though as I simply hand mixed black in until it was closer. it ended up being a Mix of 1:1 (approx) Thorny Branch with Pokorny black.

The train of thought for my using the airbrush was so that you keep the repainted new color layer as thin as possible to preserve detail for the Drybrush highlights; This matters more on pieces with a lot of detail but I wasn’t taking chances and I like airbrushing. :) You do need to thin quite a bit because by default house paint is quite thick. How you mix this is up to you but I mixed it in the air brush bowl with about a 50/50 split of thinner and the finished paint color. That’s really it! (it had the desired milky consistency.)

TB

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:01 am

House paint will go through an airbrush...but will it ever come out of the airbrush? 🤔

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:11 am

Bravo, Tenbears!
Now they’re great both as cliffs and caverns.
Tenbears wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:21 pm
Very happy with the match! (I also learned that thinned down Behr Home Depot paints do go through an airbrush :lol:)
What Behr colors did you use, if you don’t mind me asking?

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Post by Arbados » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:34 am

Damn, that paint march is perfect!!! Wish I was as successful when trying to match my old dungeon of doom walls with the earlier KS'er :(. My pillars look great but the walls just don't quite match the walls of the earlier KS'er. Oh, well. It taught me to only go with painted moving forward so I have paint consistency when using older sets with newer ones. DF, make sure ALL paint schemes of the same type of terrain match moving forward! Please!!! If not, then I'm not buying. Sorry, I digress!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:11 am

The paint match is indeed excellent.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”