Erinthor - KS6 Style

Tenbears
Orc
Orc

Re: Erinthor - KS6 Style

Post by Tenbears » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:38 pm

The hard part is matching the base color of KS6 on KS4 Dwarvenite. It does not really matter from a color perspective if you use an airbrush on this step or not, it just applies a nice even coat. A brush would work fine with the same colors discussed earlier in this thread.

As far as where to go after that to match KS6, Anime is right. The painting video guide on youtube should sort you out.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:33 pm

Dwarven Forge has cavern paint guides on their YouTube channel. If you're looking to match KS6 that's probably the best guide you'll get.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:30 pm

Any advice on matching Erinthor to KS6 without an airbrush?

(My KS6 has standard factory paint, and my Erinthor is unpainted)

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:28 am

Just so it's clear, I'm being facetious.

KS3 had stone that didn't match any other scheme until KS4, and KS4 had it's own pieces not match each other. The towers didn't match the walls.

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Post by Arbados » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:14 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:02 pm
Arbados wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:34 am
It taught me to only go with painted moving forward so I have paint consistency when using older sets with newer ones. DF, make sure ALL paint schemes of the same type of terrain match moving forward! Please!!! If not, then I'm not buying. Sorry, I digress!
Ummm.....

I see you didn't back KS3 and KS4.

...Yeah, no paint match issues. Nope.
Ah, no I didn't as you can see from my badges. Nope.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:02 pm

Arbados wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:34 am
It taught me to only go with painted moving forward so I have paint consistency when using older sets with newer ones. DF, make sure ALL paint schemes of the same type of terrain match moving forward! Please!!! If not, then I'm not buying. Sorry, I digress!
Ummm.....

I see you didn't back KS3 and KS4.

...Yeah, no paint match issues. Nope.

Tenbears
Orc
Orc

Post by Tenbears » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:35 am

MrMorden wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:09 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:28 pm
Fabulous job Tb they look cracking :)
MrMorden wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:01 am
House paint will go through an airbrush...but will it ever come out of the airbrush? 🤔
Any paint will go through an airbrush* if you apply enough thinners and up the air pressure enough, at least according to yours and our mate Kenny Boucher :D

*though maybe not texture paints ;)
True for acrylic craft or hobby paints...not sure about thick enamels designed to lay in the sun for 10+ years on a house...Again, I'm not arguing you can get it to *spray*...I'm just not sure that you'll ever get all that thick enamel *out* of the airbrush afterward!

And yeah, I would not recommend spraying "Typhus Corrosion"... :lol:
The airbrush is an IWATA revolution with a .4mm nozzle and it functions fine afterwards. I break it down after every session with a thorough clean and nozzle soak.

I would definitely not do this with a fine nozzle airbrush like my sotar 20/20. I would also say if you aren’t comfortable with the idea of trying it with any airbrush, don’t do it.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:17 am

MrMorden wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:09 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
MrMorden wrote:
House paint will go through an airbrush...but will it ever come out of the airbrush? 🤔
Any paint will go through an airbrush* if you apply enough thinners and up the air pressure enough, at least according to yours and our mate Kenny Boucher :D

True for acrylic craft or hobby paints...not sure about thick enamels designed to lay in the sun for 10+ years on a house...Again, I'm not arguing you can get it to *spray*...I'm just not sure that you'll ever get all that thick enamel *out* of the airbrush afterward!

Yes we would not guarantee the future use of the airbrush after spraying enamel.

You will be glad to hear that we have not sprayed "Typhus Corrosion" through our airbrush :)

We did spray the contrast paint "Flesh Tearers Red" and despite airbrushing not being the way to use contrast paints we got a fabulous dark red smooth base coat for our World Eaters.

But even after seeing the fabulous paint jobs DooFers have done with their Dwarvenite and Erin's super helpful painting tutorials we are glad we buy pre painted :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:09 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
MrMorden wrote:

Tenbears
Orc
Orc

Post by Tenbears » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:50 pm

pacarat wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:37 pm
Looks great, and interesting details on a/b’ing.

Curious on how resilient that thin a/b coat is... once dry, do you have any evidence of it rubbing off? I have had issues in past with over-thinning acrylics and seeing some degradation in adherence.

This would be perfect for all the Castle greys, since there are like nine :shock: different shades of dwarvenite and super hard plastic dwarvenite from that KS.
It seems very durable. The paint itself does come with a”one coat guarantee” but in full disclosure I usually hit these pieces with two thin airbrush coats. Sitting here I can’t rub it off etc.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”