Painted tree trunks and stumps help

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Painted tree trunks and stumps help

Post by lostpict » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:13 pm

I used Golden High Flow Acrylics Burnt Umber to lightly drybrush the stumps to darken them to match the trunks. Not a perfect match, but close enough for government work.

My plan has been to use a 4'x6' game mat from Deep Cuts called Muddy Field for my table. I am going to put a 4'x6' white board underneath for the magnets to stick too. For higher levels I am using the woodland Terrain Trays. The mat is a little darker than the Terrain Trays, but close enough and matches well with the stumps, escarpment, and forest transition banks.

I also only bought a tiny bit of the Caverns Deep caverns. I wanted to see how they mixed with my preferred Resin caverns. They look great together.

Here is a FLICKR link with photos. I need to embed them at some point, but FLICKR won't tell me the static links with mobile app:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmKS7S7j

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:29 pm

I noticed a few stumps dont have the drybrushing except on the stumps. So I may try undoing the drybrushing with a woody top coat. Mostly just a bother that interferes with mini painting.

I agree with all that say they paint there own to avoid these problems, but I would never get it painted if i bought unpainted. It's a shame that a better handle on painting QC is not in place. Clearly either someone drybrushed things not meant to be drybrushed stump trunks or missed drybrushing the tree trunks. In any case whoever was inspected the finish goods let it go. Not the way I ran manufacturing lines, but you get what you pay for.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:47 am

lostpict wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:25 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:54 pm
Do you have pictures?
Yes, here are a stump and large tree. Shot with cellphone flash, so a bit accentuated....

https://flic.kr/p/2ihMoqP

https://flic.kr/p/2ihMnLT
Yeah they are not great :(

Even we might have to get our dry brushes out for that.

Given that, we are still hoping that, as our forest tiles (inc embankments) are coming with the trees, that they have all been manufactured and painted at roughly the same time, that maybe they will have a more consistent paint job.

Those might be some awfully thin straws.

We buy painted to save time, hoping we don't have to lose time by touching up all the trees.

That said might be easier to paint the tiles to match the trees as you probably only need to drybrush the trunks and not all the roots.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:22 pm

Tenbears wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:50 pm

I see a lot of color choices and dry brushing that my OCD painting would compel me to repaint entirely. In my opinion, most of the dry brushing from the factory is far too heavy handed or has too much stone edge (desaturated color) in the end product. It all comes down to personal preference.
Fair. I am getting used to the factory style, but I agree it's too heavy handed. IMO part of the problem is that they're skipping multiple steps. Instead of taking multiple passes with ever-lightening shades, they jump from a dark to a bright in one step, which creates too high a contrast and doesn't look right.

I still think KS6 is one of the best factory paint jobs we've gotten. But I can understand wanting better. I just would never have the time to paint my sets on my own. I just have too many pieces and too little time!

Tenbears
Orc
Orc

Post by Tenbears » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Law wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 am
Tenbears wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:03 pm

This is why I paint my own. The most recent Kickstarter has a lot of detail in the pieces that you can pull so much painted detail forward compared to their earlier KSs (which are still good). The detail from the sculptors from Dwarven Forge is getting REALLY good and I only expect that trend to continue. However, with this much detail it would cost you as much as the pieces themselves to have someone paint them. This is something that I do not see DF offering.

I’m not sure if you are familiar with Nolzurs Marvelous Miniatures but they frustrate me because the detail molding for fine details is just not there to “grab” with a brush. I either 3D print them or buy reaper now for just this reason.
Oh, I’ve heard of Nolzur’s - you’ll see them in most of my photos lately, I love them. I know what you mean about the details - there are areas where detail just isn’t deep enough, particularly the earlier stuff, and you get areas that are just blobs. But I do think they’ve gotten better, and in some places they’re outstanding. Their human faces are a wonder - not just eyes and nose and mouth, but the wrinkles on the forehead, the fine hairs of a beard. My Nolzur stuff looks so much better to me than my older minis Bc the faces pack in so much detail. (Including Reaper!)

As for DF - painting it yourself will always yield better results, I agree. What I was clumsily trying to get at was that if you want that level of quality, it helps to think of the painted DF as less a finished product and more a head start. As you said, it’s still much cheaper than If you paid someone to paint it all properly. But it’s a comparatively moderate fee for having everything with a basic coat and dry brush. For a really large set of pieces, it’s a huge time saver. You can then decide on your own which details you really care about and which you can let go. (KS6, I’ve noticed, has spectacular paint in many respects, and some bizarre off-notes. Some of the details, like mushrooms sculpted on the walls or the small pools of water, are often terrible - overslop and uneven. But it would take a lot less time and effort, and frankly be more enjoyable, to pick out the edge of the pools for clean up on 10 pieces, rather than having to paint all 100 pieces entirely.)
I see a lot of color choices and dry brushing that my OCD painting would compel me to repaint entirely. In my opinion, most of the dry brushing from the factory is far too heavy handed or has too much stone edge (desaturated color) in the end product. It all comes down to personal preference.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 am

Tenbears wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:03 pm

This is why I paint my own. The most recent Kickstarter has a lot of detail in the pieces that you can pull so much painted detail forward compared to their earlier KSs (which are still good). The detail from the sculptors from Dwarven Forge is getting REALLY good and I only expect that trend to continue. However, with this much detail it would cost you as much as the pieces themselves to have someone paint them. This is something that I do not see DF offering.

I’m not sure if you are familiar with Nolzurs Marvelous Miniatures but they frustrate me because the detail molding for fine details is just not there to “grab” with a brush. I either 3D print them or buy reaper now for just this reason.
Oh, I’ve heard of Nolzur’s - you’ll see them in most of my photos lately, I love them. I know what you mean about the details - there are areas where detail just isn’t deep enough, particularly the earlier stuff, and you get areas that are just blobs. But I do think they’ve gotten better, and in some places they’re outstanding. Their human faces are a wonder - not just eyes and nose and mouth, but the wrinkles on the forehead, the fine hairs of a beard. My Nolzur stuff looks so much better to me than my older minis Bc the faces pack in so much detail. (Including Reaper!)

As for DF - painting it yourself will always yield better results, I agree. What I was clumsily trying to get at was that if you want that level of quality, it helps to think of the painted DF as less a finished product and more a head start. As you said, it’s still much cheaper than If you paid someone to paint it all properly. But it’s a comparatively moderate fee for having everything with a basic coat and dry brush. For a really large set of pieces, it’s a huge time saver. You can then decide on your own which details you really care about and which you can let go. (KS6, I’ve noticed, has spectacular paint in many respects, and some bizarre off-notes. Some of the details, like mushrooms sculpted on the walls or the small pools of water, are often terrible - overslop and uneven. But it would take a lot less time and effort, and frankly be more enjoyable, to pick out the edge of the pools for clean up on 10 pieces, rather than having to paint all 100 pieces entirely.)

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:02 am

I drybrushed my trunks with stucco with a bit of moss green and earthstone and it came out like the factory paint on the trunks and treetops. Yes the trunks on the painted floors are a bit off but not much. Overall the painting video DF did helped me out a lot.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Tenbears
Orc
Orc

Post by Tenbears » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:03 pm

Law wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:51 pm
That’s frustrating to hear. Sadly, it’s becoming clearer that DF isn’t always table-ready like it used to be in the resin days. There are so many more types of pieces now and the paint has gotten so much more complicated. My feeling now is that by getting painted you’re saving yourself from having to do the first three or four steps on 100% of your pieces. For 20-30% of them, you need a fifth or even a sixth step. :/

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:57 pm

lostpict wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:29 pm
Tenbears wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:41 pm
Base wood dry brush on the trees themselves and also the stumps, at least the upper quarter, to match the tree.

If they are dry brushed a lighter color on top of that (it will be obvious if they are as it will be very light) I would try 2 parts stucco to 1 part base wood. The key is that you do the same process on both trees and the stumps that they connect to. I did not buy painted but this is what sounds screwed up on the factory paint jobs as the trees and tiles might not have been done by the same worker.

Feather into transition areas with mixes of the two if needed.

TB
Thats a good plan. I just hate having to paint anything I paid to have painted. Maybe there is a lesson in there for me. As an old sckool resin boy, I have always bought painted, but the glaring inconsistencies disturb my OCD.
It looks like the base is lighter than the trunk. Try a dry brush with terracotta then a dry brush whit a drop of terracotta and a drop and stucco. I used cardboard on mine. I was not trying to match the factory.

I like a darker trunk. You could make a light wash of base wood and blend in the trunk.You need a light hand to make the Stucco highlight look good.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:51 pm

That’s frustrating to hear. Sadly, it’s becoming clearer that DF isn’t always table-ready like it used to be in the resin days. There are so many more types of pieces now and the paint has gotten so much more complicated. My feeling now is that by getting painted you’re saving yourself from having to do the first three or four steps on 100% of your pieces. For 20-30% of them, you need a fifth or even a sixth step. :/

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”