DH Banks and forest along a river

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: DH Banks and forest along a river

Post by Law » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:40 am

First of all - late to the party here - such beauty! Such much beauty. Such much beautiful. Sigh.

Second, the lighting in the space and the way one’s camera works is key. I can say that in person the DH color looks perfect to me. It’s not too green - I had that concern from the unboxing video. In some light - unnatural yellow light - it can look a fake neon green and be overwhelming. In person it’s not - and the “wall of green” effect of a layout is actually really cool and one of my favorite parts. It’s not a bright monolith of color - it’s just a solid landscape that looks freakin real.

Second - wow what a river. I can’t do one nearly that long, thanks for showing what can be done! I agree with the others - feels like for a true and proper natural river we’ll need some more options. I normally do prefer sculpted water but I like these for some reason. Will see what KS7 shows. I’m sure DF is on this.

Third - wow the cliffs look great! I was sure they’d stand out like sore thumbs, but that looks amazing. I definitely have to try that at some point. Wow.

Thanks for all the pics. This is an outstanding layout.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:53 pm

William wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:44 pm
DF should know by now, we always need additional DIAGONALs at the very least. ;)
Water sets needing diagonals... i believe i have heard that before somewhere
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Alkettory
Orc
Orc

Post by Alkettory » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:31 pm

William wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:14 am
Alkettory wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:10 am
Thanks for the builds. Very inspirational.
William wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:12 am
I'm reminded of a scene in "Breaking Away", a movie from the late 70's about a bike race[+] in Indiana. The post-high school kids are diving and swimming in an old quarry.
That's actually one of my favorte movies. It had a very young Dennis Quaid in it.
Buongiorno!
LOL.

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:48 am

Looks nice.

But the same problems exist with "banks" and negative space water that exists with "water tiles" which is that it is A) too square and B) too repetitive.

I'm still hoping that KS7 has sculpted water tiles... with diagonals.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:14 am

Alkettory wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:10 am
William wrote:
I'm reminded of a scene in "Breaking Away", a movie from the late 70's about a bike race[+] in Indiana. The post-high school kids are diving and swimming in an old quarry.
That's actually one of my favorte movies. It had a very young Dennis Quaid in it.
Buongiorno!
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Alkettory
Orc
Orc

Post by Alkettory » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:10 am

William wrote:

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:42 am

All of the items in those shots are from KS6. (Except for the water print mat.) The cliffs were all the standard paint job and from encounters 7 and 8 with the boat and dock tiles. I did drop the green flat brambles I had on top of some of the junctions to break up the grey a bit and to hide joints better. Very visible in the last shot. As for color tint, these are taken in my game room with overhead fluorescent lights in an enclosed fixture (so not directly from the bulbs). At the bottoms of the cliffs, I used some of the edging tiles for the water from the encounters to give the cliffs the full height and that allows the "wet" edges to be along the bottom nicely and I can protrude them just a bit to give a better illusion of entering the water. In shot 4 the color differences between the cavern water edge tiles and the forest are more distinct but still look acceptable. Lots of real streams have pretty sparse rocky edges with more lush vegetation a few steps back.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:40 am

Rabbit but that does look amazing!

Thank you z :)

News flash: Temperate forests are pretty green especially just before the flowers bloom.

But OK maybe not that green, but we think its due to the lighting as the stone banks etc in the later photos look green too.

The lighting is also artificially lighting everything and not providing enough shadow to give that natural variation in greens. Please note that this is in no way a criticism of your pictures z :)

So excited to get ours, there will be a total binky fluffle here when they do.

Wildlands we think will add some variations that will be compatible with DH including new trees.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:12 am

Now that is looking very cool. 8-) 8-)

I'm looking at that first shot, thinking it looks like some of those deep pit rock quarries that are now full of water.

I have to stop looking at these. :mrgreen:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:21 am

That does indeed look far better

I got two sets of painted banks and they are indeed very green. Will have to try them out with my banks

Echo the question about the green cliffs
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”