Future Cavern sets

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Future Cavern sets

Post by dice4hire » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:33 pm

You even managed to get interior walls in a cavern build, no mean feat.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:59 pm

Looks awesome, Hexenmond!
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:05 pm

You can do a lot with a few pieces.But what are the right few?

I have thoughts but with out Knowing what is in the mold set up I do not have an informed opinion on what will be best for DF.

I think some of the new free standing parts are very useful :!: :!: :!:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Hexenmond
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Hexenmond » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:24 pm

I made another build that I feel comfortable sharing, this time a pure KS2 build. My goal was to break out of the typical KS2 square shape. I admit that the build has a few imperfections and that made me wish for a corner fill stalagmite or two, but still like how the map turned out. I think it is useful to have a couple of generic encounter maps that don't use up all the eye candy from CD and still look at least serviceable.

ks2_pure.jpg
ks2_pure.jpg (92.61 KiB) Viewed 354 times

ks2_pure_rotate.jpg
ks2_pure_rotate.jpg (113.79 KiB) Viewed 354 times

Hexenmond
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Hexenmond » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:43 am

Thank all of you for the encouraging words!

I remember not liking KS2 caverns initially. I have seen a lot of photos with squary rooms or very unnatural-looking rivers. But now that I have a few tiles in hand, I can appreciate the amount of detail and three-dimensionality on many of the pieces.

In direct comparison, I also sense a change of mood between the two sets: KS2 has more of a fairytale/romanticized vibe to it, most likely because it is still heavily influenced by the resin caverns. KS6 is different in this regard: The environments I build with it feel more threatening and nastier (in a good way), as if those caves would inevitably lead to a dark place like the underdoom.

KS6 also seems more generic to me than KS2, especially the floors, but also a lot of the 'bread and butter' pieces, as Nate likes to call them. KS2 is more like 'there are no standout pieces, but some of the regular pieces differ quite a bit from the rest' vs. KS6's 'you have this powerful toolkit of generic goodness and some big chunky pieces to spice it up'.

With that in mind, I think that a mixed starter would make sense. You cannot put enough big chunky pieces into an affordable set, but KS2 pieces can bring some of their 'fairytale cave' qualities to emphazise on the sense of wonder while discovering a new environment.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:55 pm

That's a nice KS-2 (mostly) layout Hexenmond, great job. 8-)

Man, I need to get painting on all those Cavern sets. :?
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:08 pm

Very nice! And I admit there are definitely ways to get cool caverns with KS2. For me, with a substantial resin cavern collection already, it was a step down. But it does have its appeal - as your awesome layout shows.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:17 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:06 pm
Looks good to us Hexenmond :)

O...…………

We often disagree with other DooFers (especially about Castles ;)) but there is often no right or wrong just different experiences.

The great thing about this forum is there is no just stating your wrong and they are right, DooFers relate their different experiences and its up to other DooFer to make their own decision.

This forum is full of such diversity and creativity, we have learnt so much about tabletop terrain and what can be done, many times a DooFer post has resulted in us looking at sculpts differently and more purchases from the DF shop.
Concur with Rabbit.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS7 which does not really exist.
WeaselWarGod

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:06 pm

Looks good to us Hexenmond :)

Other opinions are worth noting and there are some very wise DooFers on here, but nothing compares to having DF in hand.

We often disagree with other DooFers (especially about Castles ;)) but there is often no right or wrong just different experiences.

The great thing about this forum is there is no just stating your wrong and they are right, DooFers relate their different experiences and its up to other DooFer to make their own decision.

This forum is full of such diversity and creativity, we have learnt so much about tabletop terrain and what can be done, many times a DooFer post has resulted in us looking at sculpts differently and more purchases from the DF shop.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:54 pm

We saw it as a introductory set for new buyers who see DF as too expensive.

Anything that makes a set expensive is removed, even magnets adds an overhead. If your buying a whole encounter then the extra for magnets is easily absorbed, but there is still a cost.

The other way DF are looking to cut costs is no leds, which many here love including us, but again it makes it more expensive.

The next technique is using (we assume) cheaper resin pieces to bulk out the set and also providing even more variety than in CD.

The bonus for people starting to get into DF and tabletop terrain is that they get a complete set, its clear what you do with it, adventure sets could then be added or décor from other manufacturers.

We would have thought even a small cavern can be easily re-used, remembering our DnD days. It will encourage players to get their own minis and then it easily escalates from there.

Many comments we see on social media focus on the cost. So makes sense to try to create a cheaper introductory set.

Anything that gets this stuff into new buyers hands is a massive plus. We all know how we felt when we first got our first DF and that's why we are on this forum. Also all the teething problems that we witness as KS backers have been ironed out, such as paint matching, scale issues etc.

Will be interesting if they create other sets to build on the introductory set.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”