Removing Magnets?

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Removing Magnets?

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:35 pm

Personally, I think having a "magnet pack" you install yourself is just asking for a lawsuit if they are installed improperly and a child ingests a few of them.

Dwarven Forge recently changed their stance on kids and the terrain from "Dwarven Forge sets are not toys, and small pieces can pose a choking hazard. They should not be handled by children under the age of 3" to the new inserts in KS6 that state that there should only be adult supervision with kids under the age of 3. (I couldn't find a copy of the new one, but if someone can post one you'll see what I mean.) With the sets now containing magnets and DF now not putting the warning that kids under 3 just shouldn't play with them period, I wonder about liability concerns.

There are so many things about the magnets I don't like. The potential for kids to get hurt, liability for the company, magnetic repulsion with banks and other small pieces, stacking pieces in storage, difficulty adjusting a setup on a terrain tray if something needs a little nudge, etc. There are some good things too, for sure, but for me personally I would choose no magnets almost every time. The exception would be pieces that require them like the castle sets and magnetic accessories.

dwarven-forge-dwarvenite-castle-runic_1_537931bab9e30825b33adc733eb44812.jpg
dwarven-forge-dwarvenite-castle-runic_1_537931bab9e30825b33adc733eb44812.jpg (56.29 KiB) Viewed 96 times
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:45 am

Given that magnets are inserted after coming out of the mold, DF could decide that they are an official aftermarket mod that can be added by the DooFer.

They could sell magnet free with a magnet pack that DooFers can glue in as they want. The sculpt already contains the magnet holder, should not be hard for a DooFer to glue them in. Might be harder to get the correct polarity if you want them all to be the same.

Might get some kick back from DooFers that like them, but in this case DF are giving you a choice that should not involve a big overhead for them.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Greg-Summoner of Sysuul
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Greg-Summoner of Sysuul » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:05 pm

Tineren wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:37 pm
It seemed to me that I had more problems with magnets falling out for sets that were delivered when it was below freezing outside. So you might try sticking the pieces in the freezer and see if that loosens the magnets before trying to pry them out with a screwdriver.
Experimented with this over the weekend. Stuck a ziploc full of banks in the freezer. Pulled them out the next day and stuck them to a larger magnet to see if it would pull the smaller magnets out.

Pro tip: You should explain to your family what's in the freezer "before" they discover the frozen Dreadhollow Forest pieces next to the DiGiorno's Pizza :lol:

It didn't work. But the pizza was delicious!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:35 pm

I'm beginning to think that if they really want magnets, a flat sheet magnet would work better for what DF wants, at least on the smaller pieces. The surface area would be larger so you could still have enough magnetism to hold the piece (except the big ones) and the repulsive forces of the magnets next to other pieces wouldn't be so pronounced.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:28 pm

I might remove the magnets that are near the edges and re-glue them more in the center. That should solve the problems?

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:19 pm
I would like to take a moment and recognize that Law used the word "Dreadhollow."

Thank you for your time.

;)
FULL CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:19 pm

I would like to take a moment and recognize that Law used the word "Dreadhollow."

Thank you for your time.

;)

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:17 pm

I can see how “magnets or not” made it even more complex to deal with the factory and getting orders together (can only imagine how much more KS6 might have been delayed with another variable in play) but I’m definitely in the camp that doesn’t like them.

For me, in addition to many of the points already noted, there’s also two other issues. First, I like to build a layout and then make minor modifications to improve it once it’s mostly done. I can’t get every little thing right the first time (or I can anticipate a few choices and want to see both). So I end up setting it all up and then, say, making one area smaller and shifting the rest of the layout down to make it all fit. With Dreadhollow, for example. I began with a river that had two banks - one was made with escarpments around a 6x6 tile and the other had escarpments against a 3x6 tile. Well, I realized that the 6x3 was needed elsewhere, and while the additional land on the side closest to the viewer was nice, it didn’t add much (an extra three inches of bare clearing before the layout abruptly ended). So I decided to extend the far shore (to make room for more trees) and shrink the near shore.

Problem: When I went to shift it all down, it was all magnetically attaches to the trays I’d used for the river. I had to lift up and reposition every single tile, instead of just pushing them all up as one and making minor corrections to placement afterwards.

As a minor coda to that - when working with a lot of pieces on a big layout, I’m frequently just dropping pieces on the table as I move things around, so I can easily get what I need. With the river build, it was frequently a headache - because I had banks and escarpments lined up along the edges of trays to make my river, and when I planed a big chonky escarpment corner out of my way so I could drop a heavy forest tile, I’d then go to pick up the escarpment and it would lift up the tray with it and all my banks would get dislodged and I’d have to fix it. Happened two or three times until I finally got into the habit of not putting spare pieces “on deck” anywhere near the trays.

I don’t move my pieces around or subject layouts to a lot of aggressive handling. I get that a lot of people do so the magnets are great for them. For me - Oy. I wish I could have skipped them.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:15 pm

My forest banks have been a pain with the magnets, sadly. I understand the more bells and whistles you have on your product, the fancier it is, but sometimes options are still a good thing. Even cars have the base model and the expensive package. I wouldn't have chosen to have magnets if I had the option.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:57 am

I also agree, but pins could have worked instead.

Just to note. I only removed some of those wall magnets to change polarity, which will be noted in an upcoming post. I would prefer zero anchor magnets, but if any other are required to assemble things, then heck yah. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”