Need More Trees!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Need More Trees!

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:23 am

pacarat wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:05 pm
One thing I typically do in laying out my war gaming tables is what I‘ll call clumping of irregular area terrain. I never distribute scenery evenly unless it is a man made item (orchard, ploughed field), etc. Just doesnt happen in nature, right?

So with DH I will plan to clump trees, with open areas around them. Still painting my stuff so haven’t got to this stage yet. :)
Will have to see how the stump placement/orientation with each tile affects density, etc.
Agree you do not want the entire board filled with trees as it would make the gameplay almost impossible.

Ideally you want clumps :)

Just trees could be rough terrain with some cover. You could then add brambles to make them impassable terrain with cover.

The knack we find is to make the board terrain balanced such that there is no advantage to deploying on any table edge. That can be tricky.

Which is why we prefer narrative driven games where you can just create cool looking terrain without worrying about balance.

So we can have our thick forest covering vast swathes of our table :)
lostpict wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:42 pm
I really like what I bought - 12 trees with the scatter bases and the escarpments. They integrate well with a woidland game mat and tree placement is very flexible. I plan to buy another load about the same size. I marvel at the large DH forest tile layouts, but too far outside my gaming budget for a big layout.
We assume you got some banks to merge those escarpments to your game mat?

We look forward to seeing your layouts on your flickr or even here ? :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:42 pm

I really like what I bought - 12 trees with the scatter bases and the escarpments. They integrate well with a woidland game mat and tree placement is very flexible. I plan to buy another load about the same size. I marvel at the large DH forest tile layouts, but too far outside my gaming budget for a big layout.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:23 pm

I only got six trees and do not see myself getting more. They are pricey and as many have said, for playing they can get in the way. I got the six to see them and use them as scatter on my scatter pieces.

Also I am building a collection of a lot of odd trees.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:16 pm

I'm working on layouts that re-create a lot of Paizo's flip mats and map tiles for PFS scenarios now that I have my DH in hand. While I purchased enough for roughly 2 dreadhallows at 50% coverage, It looks like my most common use will be heavy tiles with full coverage, and then terrain trays/banks for the clearings. In most of the scenarios people don't go more than 1 square into the 'difficult' terrain area and just stay in the clearings. So making them extremely dense works well. Its gets the oppressive/dense feeling, while still having a wide opens space in the middle to game in. It does mean a bit more standing up to see into it though

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:05 pm

One thing I typically do in laying out my war gaming tables is what I‘ll call clumping of irregular area terrain. I never distribute scenery evenly unless it is a man made item (orchard, ploughed field), etc. Just doesnt happen in nature, right?

So with DH I will plan to clump trees, with open areas around them. Still painting my stuff so haven’t got to this stage yet. :)
Will have to see how the stump placement/orientation with each tile affects density, etc.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:17 am

We would like to point out something that has become clear recently on the forum is how many use DF for dioramas and just scene building, this is where you might want a greater density of trees. For us we make stories, where the game play aspect is almost non existent and the aesthetic is king. Also for backgrounds having two (or even three) levels of dense trees really fill out the backdrop of a picture.

You would be right in thinking that is an expensive way to do it, which of course is true. But it is modular and flexible. In our case we can use them in stories and dioramas but we can use them in wargamming, competitive or narrative.

Kudos to DF for allowing DooFers to cater for almost any of our miniature world needs.

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Post by Thunder » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:10 am

I agree with everything you folks are saying.....

I still need more trees! :D :D :shock: :D :D

Peace

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:23 am

Going to echo Law's points. Too much forest becomes too dense to really play with. I mainly use DF for making setups for RPGs and we need to have ready access to the playing surface, which is not the tops of the canopies, but generally the ground.

After spending some time thinking, there are really two buckets in DH to think about. Floor coverage and playability and Elevation (Escarpments) and what you need to build certain concepts. While the entire Encounter 15 gives you a good assortment, I personally feel it leaves you a little dense for ease of play, which is why I am not planning on any more of the Heavy Forest tile packs. So for floors, thinking that two Light Forest Packs (which include importantly include a bunch of the clear tiles) and one Tree Variety Pack should suffice. Each Light Forest pack is a square foot of floor coverage. A couple of more should be plenty and not blow up the storage concerns.

As for part 2, Elevation. The basic encounter has 4 large straights, and 2 concave and 2 convex corners. I personally have found I want more of the convex since that allows you to round off locations and perhaps just create a mound. That was partly why I ordered the extra corner set that came with 2 convex corner escarpments. Due to a math error on my part I did not get quite as many escarpments as I intended (I had doubled the number in my spreadsheet forgetting that the packs in the Encounter reflected 2 Escarpment Packs, not 1. Ooops. So I am currently thinking of a couple of escarpment packs and a couple more corner packs should suffice and finally another Cave entrance pack. Given some of the threads about painting, also debating about getting some/all of that unpainted since that gives more bang for the buck. (and gives me at least more comfort in doing a mod to them if I want to.)

This avoids too much extra bling, fills the needs of what I want to do and what I am likely to try and do as well. While a 4 level steep hill sounds cool, not sure I would ever really make something that high, at least not with the Stilt support method. Unfortunately, the Large molded Elevation Boxes have taken on a slight bowing in the center of the bottom which makes them challenging to use for support. They are the right height, but playing around with some popsicle sticks might work it looks like. But it will be a kludge.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:41 am

My Ma-In-Law gave me a t-shirt for Christmas that has "Did someone say pie?" on it. ;) :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:32 am

Sorry but there are things said here that we cannot let pass.

First things first +71 to all that.

Now ....
Law wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:24 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:18 am
That makes sense to have tree packs that match the Forest packs. But recall tells us that it was not expected that DooFers would put trees on all stumps, according to DF.

Yeah, I tried to say basically that, but I was more long-winded and less clear than you were. ;)

Pretty sure you got that statement the wrong way around. Difficult to be concise with 71 bunnies thoughts running through our mind, especially Bob he is totally off his noodle.
Law wrote:

STUFFED with trunks.

How many DooFers expected to read that expression this year? There are 71 bunnies stunned at this turn of events.
Law wrote:

The trees in DH are MASSIVE, heavy, detailed, things. They're like the towers in the Castle sets. They are massive, blocky, chunky, beautifully heavy elements. And not only does that mean you have to pay a lot for them (and they're worth it -- I can't imagine a lower price for things this big and detailed, particularly with the modularity they bring) it also means you have to STORE them all.

So worth it, also agree they are not going to get cheaper. As for storage, the tiles will take up more room than floors due to the stumps, though pretty sure you can stack them without too much fear of warping.
The canopies we intend to throw in the CD Tote bag and hang off the games room door knob, very little risk of warping their shape and if it did occur: one; you would do well to spot it and two; it would most likely look natural anyway.
Law wrote:

Dense coverage is AWKWARD.

things can get TIGHT.

Just wanted to highlight these two, made more sniggering bunnies :)

But yes, these are so true and with trunk-to-stump pin connectors being a tight fit, the above become more of a factor, either setting up or tearing down.

Or during gameplay when you want to remove the canopies so players can move through the forest.

One last thing, everytime we see canopies we starting saying it in our heads 'can o pies' .... mmmmm pies, a world where Wallace and Gromit collide with the Simpsons.

EDIT: to correct some quite frankly woeful typos
Last edited by Rabbit Burner on Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”