Question for Dreadhollow users- how are you placing your trees?

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Question for Dreadhollow users- how are you placing your trees?

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:48 am

We have been playing with our DH (love it btw, a lot!)

At the start of unboxing we built the trees and placed them on the tiles and laid the tiles out. Toward the end we were building the trees but leaving them separate until we had unpacked everything.

Then we had to decide what sort of build we wanted, we went to create a dense forest look and so had heavily populated tiles in the centre with lightly populated on the outside.

You have to orientate the trees carefully to allow all stumps on a tile to be populated and keep the trees straight ;)

We look at the layout looking for how organic it looks, rotating tiles as we feel are necessary and swapping two tier trees with three tiers until it looks more natural.

DH is full of options to make it feel organic, we have not tried 1 or 4 tier trees yet - pictures will follow over the next few days (we took a lot of them ;)

z great shout with those hollows and nooks, going to have to try some of those out.

Lets be clear a Mythrassian Lagomorph warren is quite a sophisticated affair while the entrances are disguised they are not just holes in the ground.

Alkettory ….. hmmmm….. somethings you just try to forget you ever saw.
But it could be bunnies ;)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Alkettory
Orc
Orc

Post by Alkettory » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:31 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:26 am
Or it could house .............................................................bunnies!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gISEekxuEgk&t=30

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:26 am

Or it could house .............................................................bunnies!!!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:48 pm

Those gaps are natural caves that could house any number of critters or just simply some animals like badgers or any cave-dwelling beastie.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:24 pm

We all know that the large scatter terrain fits across the Cave mouth nicely to create a reasonable roof. What I have also done some experiments with is using the scatter terrain to span some of those rocks you mentioned on the forest tiles. Here are a few shots of some trials and fit checks.
Attachments
Scatter Terrain spanning rocks 1
Scatter Terrain spanning rocks 1
Scatter Terrain spanning rocks 1.jpg (119 KiB) Viewed 222 times
Scatter Terrain spanning rocks 2
Scatter Terrain spanning rocks 2
Scatter Terrain spanning rocks 2.jpg (118.38 KiB) Viewed 222 times
Scatter Terrain spanning rocks 3
Scatter Terrain spanning rocks 3
Scatter Terrain spanning rocks 3.jpg (103.38 KiB) Viewed 222 times

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Question for Dreadhollow users- how are you placing your trees?

Post by Law » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:19 pm

I’m curious - are people placing trees into tiles and then building layouts, or are you guys building layouts and then inserting the trees? Or some third option...?

When I first got Dreadhollow, I immediately opened it and assembled my trees and plopped them into tiles to see how they looked. When I started building with it, I used these assembled tiles to make my layouts.

Occasionally I’d tweak a tree placement or two, rotate or remove a canopy, maybe even move a tree out altogether - particularly where trees wouldn’t fit next to each other. BUT I was working with planted trees as I built. And when I evaluated the look of my layout, it was entirely with an eye to the trees themselves. I barely saw the ground.

Since then I’ve had time to study just the tiles themselves, to see how the trunk placements create different spaces depending on how you rotate the tile next to it’s neighbor (and how you rotate the neighbor). I’ve noticed at least three points that are influenced by this:

(1) forest density - even heavy cover tiles have a corner without a trunk, a small open space. Placing trees on one side of a tile next to trees on the side of the next tile gives you dense coverage with many trees right next to each other. And placing even the heavy cluster of trees next to an open space on the next tile gives you even distribution. And finally, placing the open space of one tile next to open space gives you a small clearing - without ever using the clearing tiles. And of course adding them introduces even more nuance.

(2) organic builds - I’ve noticed that, lined up just so, the tiles can give you a straight line of trees that looks... unnatural. (It also shows DF attention to detail - this stuff is designed to look organic but there IS a grid at work here!) Maybe you want that straight line, to delineate a border. But it doesn’t look like wild woods. Rotating the tiles breaks up the line of trees. So tile positions can mean the difference between wilderness and... landscaping.

(3) Rock placement. Both medium and heavy tiles have large rocks on them - medium has a particularly large outcropping. By placing the tiles just so, you can create interesting patterns - like a gradually crumbling escarpment, or even a dramatic forest entrance (the two trunks line the side of the rock cluster around a little natural step...). Seems like a lot could be done to arrange the stones for cool effect. Certainly the rocks on the two tiles can be placed together in a way to create a single larger outcropping. Which is kinda neat.

Of course, a lot of this nuance is lost when heavy tree coverage obscures the ground. But I’m thinking, if I arranged the tiles first in the way I like, I could then chose to leave some stumps in place or use smaller trees to leave some ground detail more visible.

The downside, of course, is that not every possible arrangement will work. You can always leave trees out to accommodate a cool tile position or move tiles around to accommodate tree placement - but you may not be able to have a specific combination of tile placement and tree placement. Trees just may not work that close together.

In general, placing trees close to one another can be tricky. I’m curious to see if it’s even workable to try it in an already assembled layout - as opposed to placing trees tile by tile and then dropping the tile into place.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”