Which colors for painting the DH leaves on the trees?

Tenbears
Orc
Orc

Re: Which colors for painting the DH leaves on the trees?

Post by Tenbears » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:41 pm

falerion wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:00 pm
Based on pictures of painted pieces and the DF painting video, I'm thinking of painting the leaves similar to the moos on the ground:
In the tutorial video the moos is painted in three steps:
1st layer: shallow water seaweed green
2nd layer ("wet drybrush"): 6:2:1 ratio of moos green: shallow water seaweed green: stone edge dry brush
3rd layer (drybrush highlight): moos green + drop of lava yellow + drop of stone edge

I would appreciate if someone could confirm that the moos on the ground is similar to the leaves on the trees.
That’s very close to what I did with exception on the last layer. Be careful with the stone Edge as it will desaturate the highlight color and look chalky. The DF tree canopies to me look muddy to be honest and less “alive” in color pop as William eluded to.

My Dreadhollow that I’ve painted up is mostly the same palette as DF but I used an airbrush to prepaint the base for the tree canopies, rocks, and also to paint the base mud and inks for additional mud effects. I bought one set, the spirit tree, prepainted for reference from DF. It’s a lot of work but from what I see I’m very pleased with mine by comparison. It looks like the prepainted were painted with one brush size so they had a bit of trouble staying in the lines on leaves and smaller plants etc and the contrast in general is a bit washed out.

Most of the time I try to nail the paint scheme that is factory produced but not this time due to some of the contrast issues and accuracy. It was obvious to me when I got my spirit tree that it was factory assembly line painted. I bought two sets of the base encounter, the extra painted adventure pack, 3 or 4 scatter terrain sets, and 6 sets of forest banks. I think I nailed what I need this time but I would buy unpainted if I need more.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:11 pm

If it is the right color for you it cannot be off. I used shallow green and a medium drybrush of moss green and yhey look good, though they seem a lot lighter than the prepaints.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

falerion
Kobold
Kobold

Post by falerion » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:06 pm

That might be true. I just don't want to be too far off.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:02 pm

Why not paint the tree leaves in a manner that looks good to you. Forests have a diversity of tree types and colors. If you ever get trees that are prepainted i expect they will intersperse nicely with whatever color(s) you choose.

falerion
Kobold
Kobold

Post by falerion » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:00 pm

Based on pictures of painted pieces and the DF painting video, I'm thinking of painting the leaves similar to the moos on the ground:
In the tutorial video the moos is painted in three steps:
1st layer: shallow water seaweed green
2nd layer ("wet drybrush"): 6:2:1 ratio of moos green: shallow water seaweed green: stone edge dry brush
3rd layer (drybrush highlight): moos green + drop of lava yellow + drop of stone edge

I would appreciate if someone could confirm that the moos on the ground is similar to the leaves on the trees.

falerion
Kobold
Kobold

Post by falerion » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:00 pm

That would be great!
Let me know when you find a chance for comparision!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:22 am

If I weren't at work, I'd be able to help out.

Anyone in a place where they have prepainted pieces and can tell Falerion what colors the leaves are in comparison to the ground cover? If we can figure out which colors from the ground stuff Erin painted in the video applies to the canopies, we can extrapolate which colors should be used.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:35 am

My guess would be the three Pokorny greens...

falerion
Kobold
Kobold

Which colors for painting the DH leaves on the trees?

Post by falerion » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:54 am

Hi forum!

I'm looking for advice on matching the factory colors on the leaves on the trees.

The Dwarven Forge painting video unfortunatelly only covers the tiles.
I searched the forum, but I also only found advice for painting the tiles not the trees.

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”