In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:08 am

Law wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:50 am

The cliff face itself blended fairly well - but it’s sitting on a cavern floor that pokes out and doesn’t match the escarpment bases AT ALL. If that had been out in plain sight not only would you have seen this straight line of rock ground that suddenly ends and becomes grass, you’d also have this interruption in the base of the escarpments. Wouldn’t have looked good.

The cliff face stood out to us, but as they are framing the front facia of the HobbitHole CBS walls it just looked to us like escarpement roughly worked/hewn stone, so looked somewhat by design.
Law wrote:

Which raises an interesting question for me - to fix the grid issue, are we gonna need 2x2 (and maybe 4x4) forest tiles AND ALSO 2x2 (and maybe 4x4) escarpments? I’m finding the escarpments way more essential to DH than I anticipated - a layout without them looks much less interesting to me. Hm.
Agree about escarpments, they break up what is otherwise a mass of green, a beautiful mass of green :)

They make hills, shallow valleys, narrow gorges, etc. They border a build area beautifully, makes it easy to bound and show the playable area.

Escarpments were a problem for us to decide on how many we wanted/needed. It was one of the reasons we went for 2 DH encounters as it gave us a reasonable amount of escarpments without us having to think too hard, bunny math is not easy.

Now we feel more would be useful, but that also applies to trees, we are liking dense forests a little too much ....

If we get 2x2 and variations of as forest tiles then we see the equivalent escarpments being very useful.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:22 pm

This is one of my favorites you've ever done. Kudos!
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:17 pm

Law wrote:

Which raises an interesting question for me - to fix the grid issue, are we gonna need 2x2 (and maybe 4x4) forest tiles AND ALSO 2x2 (and maybe 4x4) escarpments? I’m finding the escarpments way more essential to DH than I anticipated - a layout without them looks much less interesting to me. Hm.
I think we need 2" and 1" escarpments. So that we can use them with 3" and 9" worth of escarpments, not just 6" or 12".

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:45 am

Law wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:30 pm
Oldent wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:43 pm
8-) 8-) 8-)

I do not have much CB or DH. Love the Photos :!:

Galladoria Games has Hobbit doors 8-)
Thanks! Yours was more authentic. ;)

I love that this is an option with DH. Just having so much fun mixing in older DF with this stuff.
I was thinking that the old resin Woodland set would work well with this too.Some 1X3 walls would also be useful.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:50 am

Interesting idea. I hadn’t considered using a TT, mostly because I’ve trained myself away from them to avoid extra stuff showing around the edges of a raised build. Wouldn’t have been an issue here.

I did consider placing everything behind and around the house on floor tiles to raise them up so they’d be level with the piece on top of the house. But I decided against it, because I was already planning to use the banks as overhanging turf at the front of the house, and I realized I could just around a forest tile with banks to create an extra quarter-inch of height. Since it’s meant to be a hill anyway, that worked for me. Plus I wanted to see how a little bump framed by banks would look. Plus - yeah this was just much easier. ;)

This was the first time the grid change really bugged me, I will say. It’s been easy enough to use extra floor pieces surrounding buildings to fill in a 3x3 grid for DH so far - a little extra courtyard or front step. If you really want some part of your structure directly abutting forest floor, just place the buffer floors on another side. It’s been surprisingly not an issue.

This time it kinda sorta was, because of the escarpments. I needed a whole extra 2” of escarpment for this to work. Luckily the KS6 2” cliff piece did the job, but it needed two key DH elements to sell it. First, the banks on top - they softened the blow of the fact that escarpments are full of grass and leaves and twigs while KS6 cliffs are not, which would have looked terrible. This way it looked basically fine. Second, I had a lot of trees directly up against the escarpment banks. That obscured the view a bit so you didn’t see a glaring shift in style or color. The cliff face itself blended fairly well - but it’s sitting on a cavern floor that pokes out and doesn’t match the escarpment bases AT ALL. If that had been out in plain sight not only would you have seen this straight line of rock ground that suddenly ends and becomes grass, you’d also have this interruption in the base of the escarpments. Wouldn’t have looked good.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:51 am

Very cool 8-)

Fab use of cliffs and banks and integrating CBS.

Could you have used a TT on stilts at the back of the house for elevation? assumes a long and short stilt would give you the correct height and that you had enough of them :)

We found that a most useful technique to use as it does not matter what TT you use as long as the size fits when you put tile on the top. Of course getting the right height is key.

Great to get another Stag sighting.
Getting your money’s worth out of Mr pumpkin man :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:18 am

Great job Law. Looks berry nice. 8-)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:30 pm

Oldent wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:43 pm
8-) 8-) 8-)

I do not have much CB or DH. Love the Photos :!:

Galladoria Games has Hobbit doors 8-)
Thanks! Yours was more authentic. ;)

I love that this is an option with DH. Just having so much fun mixing in older DF with this stuff.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:22 pm

Awesome inspiration!

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:54 pm

Very nice. I played around with trying to use just the tudor walls in an underground setting like that, but the size is just too off to work well, need those corner posts. I had been trying to make it work with out using the extra tile thickness jump that was needed where you used the banks.

Those banks work well. When I First looked at the pictures, I was trying to figure out what sort of mod you did to an escarpment tile to get that curvature or form factor. Only when I looked a few shots later did I notice it was just banks on top of stone or the tudor walls. Nice.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”