Rate the Standard Cavern's Encounters

Rate your favourite of the standard caverns encounters

Encounter 2 (Prison Passage) or Encounter 4 (Webbed Lairs)
2%
Encounter 3 (Bestial Cliffs)
No votes
Encounter 5 (Cave of Ruin)
12%
Encounter 6 (Covert Warcamp)
2%
Encounter 7 (Mushroom Grotto)
14%
Encounter 8 (Savage Gorge)
10%
Encounter 9 (Smuggler's Cove)
14%
Encounter 10 (Shrine of Skiss-Ryssaa)
17%
Encounter 11 (Hag's Den)
12%
Encounter 13 (Crystal Caverns)
17%

Total votes: 42

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Rate the Standard Cavern's Encounters

Post by zenako » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:19 am

I picked up as cavern encounters the Ruins(5), the Gorge (8) and Cove (9) for their versatility between actual caverns and outdoor settings. I also got the starter set to grab a few more tiles and it was pretty cost effective. (for the purpose of this reply, I shall ignore the LARGE amount of Forest I picked up, which to me was the best and most novel of all the settings in that KS.)

I only tend to run occasion encounters in natural-looking caves, so I did not need a lot. I was pleased with the ones I got, but from an overall use standpoint, I expect to get the most use from the Ruins tiles in my games and builds. I would look forward to other additions to that line if they decide to expand the options.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:11 am

DrSalt wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:41 am
Thanks all - really interesting to hear people opinions - no real way to do this properly and was vague but interesting. Was not really expecting the Shrine to be so popular to be honest but looking at it, it seem's to come with lots of "bling pieces".
There is no real easy to do these polls but thought it would be a least a way to gauge what the general consensus on the encounters was.
I haven't got any yet - but leaning towards the Cave of Ruin / Smuggler's Cove / Shrine as pieces to get when it his the stores - but may go more towards Law's recommendation of getting just pieces of interest and some basic blocks depending on how stuff goes up on the DF store.

DF are looking into new Caverns starter sets which will include some KSII pieces, worth a question on the Twitch Q&A as to when they might appear in store.

They sound like a good option if you have no DF caverns at all.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

DrSalt
Kobold
Kobold

Post by DrSalt » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:41 am

Thanks all - really interesting to hear people opinions - no real way to do this properly and was vague but interesting. Was not really expecting the Shrine to be so popular to be honest but looking at it, it seem's to come with lots of "bling pieces".
There is no real easy to do these polls but thought it would be a least a way to gauge what the general consensus on the encounters was.
I haven't got any yet - but leaning towards the Cave of Ruin / Smuggler's Cove / Shrine as pieces to get when it his the stores - but may go more towards Law's recommendation of getting just pieces of interest and some basic blocks depending on how stuff goes up on the DF store.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:30 am

We do not want to speak for DrS but we suspect this was supposed to be a simple poll to see what encounter DooFers thought were the best based on experience of using them. Even outlining that you can use whatever criteria you wanted to come up with your decision.

Sounds simple doesn't it? but the 10 or so replies shows nothing is ever simple :)

We were quite relieved that DH was not on it as we would have voted for that, but then we could not vote for anything else as we did not get a cavern. So our favourite vote does not mean the others are bad, its it is that we just cannot judge them.

Seems many are in the same boat, if you did not get an encounter you cannot really vote for it as it is supposed to be based on your experience.

So a simple poll becomes complicated and skewed. Still it gives the casual observer a clue as to what basic cavern encounter DooFers preferred.

This is why people get paid to set up surveys and polls.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

MBCE
Orc
Orc

Post by MBCE » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:37 pm

MrMorden wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:40 pm
I voted based on the actual encounter, not on the pieces making up the encounter.
I went the other way. I voted for the pieces in the encounter and even then I limited to the only core encounter I picked up. Overall, I wasn't a fan of the encounters this time around. The price point for them were way to high for the coverage you get and most of the make up were limiting factors for how well the pieces can be used outside of the official set up.

I prefer to have basic pieces that I can use any way that I wish but there were many encounters this time around which would give you only one of the trifecta pieces, either wall or floor, and not the other. Or they would give you the left swell but not the right swell. This limits what you can do in other builds. I wish the encounters were more like the BUILD OF THE MONTH, where Nate points out that packs X,Y, and Z can be used to make the encounter. Yes, there are leftover pieces but that always happens in builds.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:40 pm

I voted based on the actual encounter, not on the pieces making up the encounter. I think we'd need a different poll for pieces or elements that are our favorites.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:39 pm

It’s tough, because even with all my experiments with KS6 I would hesitate to recommend. It really depends what you want.

- Get the bling you want. That’s a given. Want the large 6x6 floor? The natural bridge? The docks? Get what you like.

- Each encounter makes a cavern about as big as you can see. Figure no matter how much you vary it, you won’t do anything radically different - bigger, more chambers, etc. So Summoning Chamber and Bestial Cliff are smaller caverns. Cave of Ruin and Mushroom Grotto allow for bigger ones. Shrine and Hag’s Den allow really huge caverns or multiple caverns connected by passages. If that’s what you want, take that into account.

- My only real advice, entirely because it surprised ME, would be - don’t just try to get regular walls and floors like this is DoD. There are swell walls, trifecta walls, regular walls, 1” walls, and then unusual things like the LED wall and the crooked caverns pieces. YOU PROBABLY NEED A GOOD MIX. A cavern built with just one type is going to look weird. I ended up using just about all of them every time. And when I left some things out, I didn’t like the result.

The good news on this front is that the sets are designed for this approach. Encounters give you a good mix of these things. The starter cavern does, too. You can get a basic trifecta set but not a basic straight walls and corners set. So if you stick to the encounters and starter set, trust that it’ll work.

Ofc you may really HATE some of these pieces and not be as bugged as I am by builds that leave them out. So it’s still YMMV as always.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:30 pm

Law wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:20 am
Honestly I think the Encounters are as flexible and versatile as we could hope. My only problem is that they’re repetitive - unless I want to build four or five caverns instead of just one, I don’t see the need for all of them. One encounter that I rebuild with varied bling (natural bridge, big floor, crystals) is fine with me.
This, as i thought i understood it, was the point of the survey... recommending which encounter(s) one should purchase. Taking whatever ctiteria you like into consideration (bling, awesomeness, variety, price, etc..). Like you, I would lean toward what to get to build a variety of scenarios.

I purchased three encounters (not counting DH). Summoning Chamber, Savage Gorge, and Smuggler's Cove. Then added several add-on packs (including most of the adventure packs).

Those did nicely to get me at least one of each large piece and lots of building blocks to make a large variety of layouts (in conjunction with my ks2 caverns). I kinda wish i had gotten two of some of the larger pieces (such as the widening passage, natural bridge, and 4x4 convex corner) but will *probably* pass when they stock these items until i see how much of Wildlands i want.

Still on the fence as to what my three favorite sets are... should probably vote for something... <sigh> ... maybe later.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:26 pm

There were too many encounters, but this might have been because of the eye watering price. Big rooms were too expensive, but there was too much bling to cram into little rooms, so we ended up with a lot more encounters. (My completely unsubstantiated theory)

I think they probably could have just sold the adventure essentials and skipped selling the encounters individually. The encounters could have just been a nice way of illustrating what could be built with each pledge level. That said, I did buy an encounter and have no regrets, but all those SKUs must have been hard to manage.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:20 am

My take on the encounters was that they basically were “a cavern” surrounding some featured bling. That’s why I didn’t feel the need for more than one.

Prison passage and webbed lairs are just passage sets, really. But the rest are cave+bling:

Summoning chamber is a cave with the LED floor in the middle.

Bestial cliff is a cave with a cliff and TT hazard in the middle.

Cave of ruin is a cave with the DOD ruins in the middle.

Mushroom Grotto is a cave with lots of mushrooms and the MOAM in the middle (and the 6x6 floor).

Savage Gorge is a cave with the suspension bridge in the middle.

Smuggler’s cove is a cave with the docks and boat in the middle.

The Shrine is a cave with the Stairway to violence in the middle.

The Hag’s Den is a cave with alchemical equipment in the middle.

There’s slightly more to these, of course - the LED wall and the various trifecta pieces and so on. But this is about what we’ve been discussing here - not “how do I get piece X?” but “what can I build with encounter Y?”

I feel like with each encounter you can build a cave plus that bling. Remove the bling if you don’t want it and you have a regular cave. The last two give you two or three smaller caves as extras. The Gorge mostly relies on negative space, trifecta walls, and cliffs. But you can always build a cave.

So I agree it’s not “random” pieces. You can build a cave with them. Probably get some interesting varied builds with the pieces.

But I went with the simplest one I could that gave me decent floor space - mushroom grotto. That plus Core Set 8, Crooked Caverns, Natural Bridge, Epic Crystals, and Cavern Floors has let me do a TON. Sure those are extra add ons, but I didn’t get a trifecta set or a starter set or use any KS2. So really the grotto plus core set 8 was plenty to work with. Very flexible. Lots of caverns. The add ons were just to swap out the flashy bling - not necessary for a complete build. True, I could only ever build two small caves or one really big one - but I only had one full encounter so that makes sense to me.

Honestly I think the Encounters are as flexible and versatile as we could hope. My only problem is that they’re repetitive - unless I want to build four or five caverns instead of just one, I don’t see the need for all of them. One encounter that I rebuild with varied bling (natural bridge, big floor, crystals) is fine with me.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”