A word on the trees (especially large)

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: A word on the trees (especially large)

Post by GODofwar » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:21 pm

My ME Eldest Offspring tells me that DwF CBS at least does exceed the recovery range enters deformation in some cases. This is when pins get lost. The deformation occurs in the posts as well as the floors into which they are inserted. So sayeth the engineer.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, including the rumored but unlikely KS7
WeaselWarGod

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:13 pm

Agreed - everything returns to normal once you give them time to recover after removing the canopies. Should have been clearer - removing the canopies between use isn’t about avoiding permanent harm, it’s just about avoiding a temporary setback.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:14 pm

From a materials perspective, that is just creep happening to the plastic around the hole location that is under stress of the pin which can be a rather tight fit at first when putting trees together. I suspect that over time, the plastic will recover to close to the original dimensions as cast once the pins are removed, as long as the insertion does not cause any permanent deformation. (In material science terms, we are still in the elastic stress (temp while the pin is in place) range for the insertion and have not entered the plastic (permanent deformation) range.)

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

A word on the trees (especially large)

Post by Law » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:20 pm

Folks with KS3 may recall that if you leave the posts in place on the floors for an extended period, they get loose. Some will pop out. Mostly they’ll swivel - have to be careful how you hold a built-up KS3 cube that’s been sitting around for over a day because the posts will rotate and the walls will pop out (and if you’re holding the building by squeezing the walls, you’ll likely drop it).

Well the pegs in DH operate with the same physics. I’ve been putting together layouts on Friday nights and moving them around all weekend. What I’ve found is that by Sunday afternoon the posts are so loose the weight of the trees is causing them to lean a little bit. They’re not super steady and it can be a challenge to get them to look right.

It’s not a huge issue - nothing’s breaking, nothing’s in danger, it’s not super noticeable. But if you care about such things, If you want the large trees to look perfect and not have a slightly awkward tilt to them or crooked trunks - pop out the heavy canopies when not in use for extended periods (overnight for example). Should help.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”