The wait for CD to hit the webstore is excruciating.

Gulelin
Kobold
Kobold

Re: The wait for CD to hit the webstore is excruciating.

Post by Gulelin » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:59 am

LorriZ wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:37 pm
Gulelin wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:06 pm
It's funny, my experience is very similar to Skullcap. I just discovered DF last July (starting DMing again in Jan 2019), and I've spent about $11k in that time. I love the product, love the people, hate the hunt. I constantly stalk the site to get stuff, and I desperately want a set of Dreadhollow for a bunch of things I have planned.

I barely eeked in on Hellscape and am looking forward to KS 7....but KS stresses me out because I am worried about not getting what I need. It's frustrating because I certainly would have backed the KS if I'd have been DMing at the time. Oh well.
I have been pretty lucky with kickstarters so far. Out of the way too many i have supported, i think i did not receive (ever) maybe 4 or 5. I usually count on a big delay on shipments because the creators rarely anticipate the manufacturing challenges they will face, especially with game parts. What stresses me out is when i cannot prevent packages from being dropped on my doorstep without a signature...we get a lot of porch pirates in my neighborhood.

I am excited about ks6.66 because i am going to use those pieces in a two night Minimally Invasive event using D&D Modern. I'll be painting them in green tones rather than lava for a glowing green effect. (I am planning something along the line of Stranger Things).
I didn't mean to word this as if to imply I was worried about getting my Hellscape stuff - I meant to say that I am stressed that I won't get the Caverns Deep stuff. I am running adventures right now where I NEED forests for encounters....soon=)

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:42 am

Law wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:39 am
I relate, everyone! I first found DF back when retailers carried it. It was 2001, I was walking back from the MFA (in Boston) with my wife and we passed the (now defunct) Compleat Strategist. They had a table out with resin dungeons and some of the standalone sets at the time - tables and benches, bedrolls and crates, and the mermaid fountain. My wife bought me the mermaid fountain. Thence began the Quest to Build a Dungeon Around It.
Oh man, I recall that shop. Went there many times. I am pretty sure that is where I picked up my first miniatures and Humbrol back in the 80's and was a semi regular for years. By the 2000's I was no longer living in the city area (way out(10 miles or so) in the burbs near 128) and had found other shops (Excalibur games in Arlington and then Malden (and they are still open) to frequent. I got hooked via the DoD KS. I had a smattering of scatter terrain, but our group had gotten by with a lot of muticolored markers on the washable hexmats for years. I would occasionally craft some special setting out of packing foam and cardboard and imagination. That worked. I was a semi regular on KS and someone on one I was backing linked the DF KS. Oops!. Got the wifes blessing and encouragement and went for the whole thing. While waiting, I built up a sizeable collection of castles and cities (as has been seen in some builds I made). I was looking at my tracking file and it actually has been the longest break in ordering new stuff I have ever had, largely I suspect due to the drawn out KS6 deliveries (which took 8 shipments and spanned over 6 months.)

Wife and I get to the MFA a few times a year still (she is a member and goes more often).

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:27 am

Welcome to the mad house.

Lots of friendly banter, civilised debates, lots of really cool pictures and a bucket load of fun.

Some debates can get salty but not personal. We remember that we have one thing in common, and that is, a passion for DF and an addiction to dwarvenite :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:39 am

I relate, everyone! I first found DF back when retailers carried it. It was 2001, I was walking back from the MFA (in Boston) with my wife and we passed the (now defunct) Compleat Strategist. They had a table out with resin dungeons and some of the standalone sets at the time - tables and benches, bedrolls and crates, and the mermaid fountain. My wife bought me the mermaid fountain. Thence began the Quest to Build a Dungeon Around It.

It took me ages to track down retailers that might have sets in stock. By 2002 I had a decent amount of resin dungeon and caverns. Whenever new stuff came out, I leapt at the chance.

I’ve got a lot of hobbies and I’ve had to scale back on a lot of collections. But I try to abide, within reason, by one rule:

If it is DF (or Star Wars) - DON’T PASS. You will regret it.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:32 pm

Haha welcome to the addictio... err group!
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

malinablue
Kobold
Kobold

Post by malinablue » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:05 pm

Gulelin wrote:
It's funny, my experience is very similar to Skullcap. I just discovered DF last July (starting DMing again in Jan 2019), and I've spent about $11k in that time. I love the product, love the people, hate the hunt. I constantly stalk the site to get stuff, and I desperately want a set of Dreadhollow for a bunch of things I have planned.

I barely eeked in on Hellscape and am looking forward to KS 7....but KS stresses me out because I am worried about not getting what I need. It's frustrating because I certainly would have backed the KS if I'd have been DMing at the time. Oh well.
I discovered Dwarven Forge right after Xmas. I had taken my kids to see the local firehouse's train garden display - I love miniature worlds - and left wondering why someone couldn't do a train garden that was more unique - a world that wasn't suburbia. I thought, "why not run the trains past Mt. Olympus with all kinds of gods and mythical beasts? Or a forest with Bigfoot and other cryptids? How about a Hades or Dante's Hell? So I came home and googled "miniature Hell," not really expecting to find anything, and voila - I found the Hellscape Kickstarter and positively swooned over it. In just 2 short months, I've spent way, way, way too much - it would probably be simpler to just do a change of address and have all future paychecks sent directly to Dwarven Forge. I have no regrets - I mean subterranean caverns, sewers, stone towers, medieval fortresses, burrows....it's all so original and wonderful. I'm devastated I missed not only Caverns Deep, but also Plaguestone and Hellscape. I would have gone all in to all of them. Now I anxiously must wait and hope.

LorriZ
Goblin
Goblin

Post by LorriZ » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:37 pm

Gulelin wrote:

I have been pretty lucky with kickstarters so far. Out of the way too many i have supported, i think i did not receive (ever) maybe 4 or 5. I usually count on a big delay on shipments because the creators rarely anticipate the manufacturing challenges they will face, especially with game parts. What stresses me out is when i cannot prevent packages from being dropped on my doorstep without a signature...we get a lot of porch pirates in my neighborhood.

I am excited about ks6.66 because i am going to use those pieces in a two night Minimally Invasive event using D&D Modern. I'll be painting them in green tones rather than lava for a glowing green effect. (I am planning something along the line of Stranger Things).
There is no such thing as Too Many Miniatures.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:10 pm

arsthein wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:19 pm
And the enthusiasm and suggestions from the newcomers are, not only interesting, but very heartwarming too! Thanks and welcome guys, I hope you remain here for the long run! I really think we are headed for better times, good as they are right now IMHO.
Yes, I'm especially excited to have new voices in the forum! I still feel like a newbie myself, although at this point I'm probably "medium-well" or so.

Welcome all and remember the first rule of forum life is pictures or it didn't happen! :P

arsthein
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by arsthein » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:19 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:47 pm
Like I said earlier, I feel DF is playing its hand conservatively so they don't hit a snag and end up eating rice, beans, and ramen. Instead they maybe have some stocking issues in the webstore, but the company can absorb some speed bumps like KS6 delivery delays, coronavirus, replacements, etc. We maybe frustrated with the lack of products in stock, but we would be even more devastated if the shop closed for good due to mismanagement of the company. I feel they are doing their best, though more presales like Plaguestone (and one they did a few years ago via a survey) would help both them and us as buyers. Win win.
I agree. I really think the DF crew knows what they are doing in this department this time around (I mean, this time around against other past times that the company was at risk).

I think they are improving and that their goal is that same we all fans dream of, but it's going to be an uphill attrition battle. I think it's going on right now, and I think they are winning inch by inch!

I would love to see a fully stocked web store, but for the time being, If I saw it happening suddenly, I would be concerned that business are going poorly.

I'd like to thank so many well informed opinions about the nitty gritty of stock and company managing... really it's much appreciated. Ok, only DF nows whats really going on, but it's really very enlightening to get all this information from doofers with proper knowledge.

And the enthusiasm and suggestions from the newcomers are, not only interesting, but very heartwarming too! Thanks and welcome guys, I hope you remain here for the long run! I really think we are headed for better times, good as they are right now IMHO.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:19 pm

Feels like some reality checks could be needed, but it's fun to follow :)

DF are keeping themselves a viable company and are using KS as investments into their future. Rich benefactors are rarer than Unicorns, who gives cash away wanting nothing in return?

A DF games system is an interesting idea but expensive with no guarantee of success, the industry is littered with failed or discontinued systems, even GW binned their Rank and Flank Warhammer Fantasy game because, even with thousands of fans, was no longer financially viable.

But if you hit gold with your own gaming system it can make a company, Warlord games come to mind.

We think DF looking into alternative gaming systems to introduce their terrain to is a cracking idea. For wargammers you are committed to minis and terrain where with DnD you do not need either.

So wargammers are nearly always in the market for terrain, and if its modular even better. We got into DF in KS3 with an idea of using CBS for some Bolt Action and AoS and we have in fact used it for W40K and even some Dr Who adventures.

But anything that keeps DF financially viable we are well behind, we love getting pre painted terrain we can hide Space Marines behind :)

Fully expect a Caverns Deep section in the shop, it's what they have done for all their Kickstarters.

Fantastic to hear from new converts :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”