Likes and dislikes

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Likes and dislikes

Post by Audles » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:14 pm

LIKE: The bridge and docks are obvious choices, but the sense of detail all over each of these pieces is really staggering. In past Kickstarters there were always a few pieces that are passable, but on inspection are a little "phoned in" artistically. It really shows the effort they've put into ALL of the pieces this time around. The attention they've spent to NAILING elevation builds for Caverns is wonderful. They've made almost every pack have some kind of elevated feature.

DISLIKE: The $10 Build-Your-Own tax just bugs the living crap out of me. I'm still likely spending over $1000 - don't hit me with an extra $10 because I already have a ton of caverns. I'd very much like a more targeted "so you've backed us before" core pledge at like $100 painted to get "free" shipping.

On KS2 Water Tiles:
Those exist in the store if you want to buy more of them. They're not going anywhere. I'm pleased as punch they made a transition piece. The negative space pieces are way more versatile and a better direction for the company. We should be happy they're making a cost-conscious decision for those, imo. We get more playable sq. ft.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:53 am

We are excited by the journey more than the product.

We are not that interested in Cavern builds (we were not with dungeons either but still went in deep).

Like how we can cherry pick those pieces that will go overground and the forest excites us the most - but have to agree it does not seem to fit the MO of this KS.

Ruins are always useful, the rope bridge will be pledged for. The ice pieces will be examined for us with my Winter battle board.

Will probably get an encounter as trying to get my kids into DnD - planning to get them to help me unbox my DoD items and see what builds they come up with.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:49 am

Well it will be interesting to see what those sets truly look like in detail and where the next tier of SG head. Tossed a large pledge in yesterday and then spent a good amount of time last night looking at each encounter option and blowing up the pictures to see if I really want/need the stuff in each one. Highlighted the ones I will want. Ruins for sure, the water ones are on the short list and probably more. Last time was Painted Dod and some add-ons. Might get to that same level, but by combining a lot of things. I do not see me "getting it all" this time.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:47 am

I agree with most of the above frustrations. I go an unpainted DoD last year but this year much less.

Very confusing on what you need to build a variety of builds. I am glad I have KS2 stuff because I would not know where to start. I can just augment what I already have.

Things I like are the bridge, boat, and elevation pieces. I may just get those and a few other pieces.

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by DWChancellor » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:38 am

That's very much where I ended KSV without any terrain trays, no magnets, and only one box. Would have loved to go further into the new passage-way pieces, elevation pieces, etc. Burrows and Jade tapped me out.

I can only guess that the "KS within KS" effect didn't hurt burrows too badly or they wouldn't be doing it, uh, twice this time? Ice-caverns is mostly an alt-paint but Underdoom and the Forest look to be Burrow-like.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:28 am

To clarify on my "meh" post, I would just like to say to the team that it has nothing to do with the product. I am not "meh" on the caverns. I'm "meh" because I can't get emotionally invested in wanting a lot here or I'm going to be disappointed when I can't get close to what I want. I stretched a LOT last year to get a DoD. I feel like that's the START of a budget to dabble in everything here. I do stand by my frustration of molds likely sitting in storage for years due to the amount of resources available. They've always had a problem with keeping stock in the store, and the more options they have to produce will drive costs up and restrict supply of individual sets, though breadth will increase.

I'm having to withdraw a little from the KS in order to not get frustrated that they have (as William eloquently put it) kickstarters within the kickstarter. In my opinion they should have stopped with 12-13 encounters here at MAX. It's just so much. I think it may come back just like burrows on certain sets where people like them but just couldn't buy them, so DF now feels they weren't popular. When in reality it seems that they were popular, but people just were tapped out.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

SpaceMonkey
Orc
Orc

Post by SpaceMonkey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:48 am

Essentials - much lower cost and lesser wasted inventory if you’d never build all more than a couple encounters at once. (Plus you’ll be able to add some core packs to any essentials if you want more coverage)
Forest!

Dislikes
Sticker shock (initially I thought the highest pledge was for 1-14 not 12-14 lol)
Forest (!) won’t be revealed for a couple weeks.
Forest sticker shock (?) - hopefully not

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:41 am

Emphasis on negative space

Dislikes
Cost per piece. It was kept low for KS1 and KS2. Why can't this model be pursued? I know there are 200 new pieces/molds. The solution is, do less pieces.
No option for magnet-free pieces.

jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Post by jgt4242 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:56 am

Like - Many pieces look great. I already have enough KS2 caverns for my tastes and probably won't get much stuff in KS6, but there's many, many neat pieces in there and they look great. Oh and as much as I can't care for a return to caverns, first second I saw the word Forest for the last encounter to be released I was cried like a little girl. I absoletly want mor DF outdoors environnement and ask for Forest a gazillion time.

Dislike - Where do I start. The way KS6 is designed with all the different pack is simply confusing. Really hope there will be a way to get basic parts set in the add-on. Lack of water tiles for now and focus on terrain tray has me be banging my head. Oh and the prices are not tempting at all. Also, on a personnal level, I bought my 3 set of Ice Cavern like 3 months ago so seeing these new and beautiful ice cavern make me want to sell them back right away...

koraldon
Orc
Orc

Post by koraldon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:23 am

Additional like and dislike:
Like - all pieces have magnets in the bottom. It was an interesting question for me in KS5, but in the end I went for magnets, assuming this will be the path forward. It just doesn't make sense to double the amount of SKU's.

Dislike - No easy "basic" pack. I have KS2 so I'm not the target audience for those. But having a 250-300$ pack with encounter 1 and a couple sets of the basic caverns (wall/corner/floor) would have been friendly to newbies. Currently it seems very expensive to be a newbie in this KS and get a table (2' by 3') covered.
This was also discussed during KS5, and they have added a "beginner" guide, but DF insistence on not selling existing products at a discount during KS is confusing. Everybody else is doing that...

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”