KSVI Backer Locales - The Top Nine Cities

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KSVI Backer Locales - The Top Nine Cities

Post by geekjeff » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:02 pm

Aw man, I shouldn't have changed my location from Austin, TX to Valoria, Mythras.

You win this time, San Francisco. This time! <shakes fist>

strid3s
Goblin
Goblin

Post by strid3s » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Go Aussie and go Melby too ;)
Pray for Mojo..

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:20 pm

Not sure Crippler?

BUT, Here are the Final Totals for the KS.
Final numbers for KS-6 pledgers.jpg
Final numbers for KS-6 pledgers.jpg (56.99 KiB) Viewed 1039 times

EDIT - I'll get to the Top Posters thread "soon". ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Crippler
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Crippler » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:55 pm

I am wondering if my location was listed as Sydney, I live in the most western suburb of the location that is recognised as still in the Sydney Australia area.

Also on price note, I spent around $600 US in first 2 KS and the exchange rate was close to +10% for Australia, by the 4th and 5th KS its was +36% and this time it is about +37%, so my orders went from $660 upto $816 Australian, even though I ended up spending lots on the last two - over $1000 US not many Australians can afford that for scenery each year.
Chronic: An Illness persisting for a long time or is constantly recurring.
Crippler: Severe limitation on ones lifestyle.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:43 pm

marcoreds wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:51 pm
Which of course raises the question: shipping expenses are very high because there are few international backers (and this is a fact for DF, compared to US backers), or there are few international backers because shipping is so much punitive towards them?

I believe if enough backers were in say India that their pledges filled a 40’ shipping van full, the shipping cost to India would become much cheaper. So, it is a catch 22 if more people backed from one country the shipping would come down but until the shipping comes down DF is not likely to get very many backers from that country.

strid3s
Goblin
Goblin

Post by strid3s » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:30 pm

My order of approx 1k US will cost around $250 Australian dollars to ship. That’s a truckload if money to spend on a boat trip and makes me shudder thinking about it.

EDIT: (cry yes - but i love the stuff and got over it last KS)
Pray for Mojo..

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:16 pm

I'm just across the river from Portland, but wouldn't get counted in that city's stats (not to mention I'm in a different state).

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:51 pm

DevGuy wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:04 pm
Kickstarter is plenty friendly to Int’l backers. It is creators who control how accessible their product is to the Int’l market, not Kickstarter.

CMoN’s latest KS, Death May Die, had 15K backers. 8K backers were Int’l.
Gloomhaven, Scythe, etc. have roughly the same split — 50/50 US/Int’l.
Caverns Deep currently has ~1,750 backers, of which just 425 are Int’l. That’s only about 20%.

I’d agree that tabletop games on KS can be more attractive to the US market in cases where int’l shipping is a much poorer deal.
dice4hire wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:51 pm
Kickstarter is a USA platform, simple enough. Shipping is one part, for sure, but KS does not try very hard to be friendly to foreign folks.
Which of course raises the question: shipping expenses are very high because there are few international backers (and this is a fact for DF, compared to US backers), or there are few international backers because shipping is so much punitive towards them?

This question is worth some merit, given that many of the projects you quote have very low international shipping, AND are EU friendly (they also include VAT and whatnot like DF) within that cost.

I can't give an answer of course, maybe boardgames are just a lot more popular here in EU than dwarvenite. Probably their numbers (10x DF numbers in backers) make this different, BUT, the fact that these extra expenses are indeed there, surely will not help DF to grow outside of US. Which is a pity, considered the numbers you show of other big projects. If international backers were as many as US backers that would not be bad.

Remember that we have like a +40% in cost. Now think of your pledge, and suppose it costed 40% more. Would you still see it as a good deal? I see people here complaining that US shipping is not anymore included, and that is what, a 2% more?

I understand the reason, so my post is not another "cry about shipping" post, I have come to terms with that for myself. But for a casual international backer, used to other KSs, this is outrageous and, for many, just looking at the shipping cost makes them close the page and look on to other projects, because it's a major raise on an already premium product. I don't say this just as a personal opinion, but because I tried showing DF KSs to other people I know, and they laughed at me.

I repeat, this is not a "lower the international shipping" post.
It's a "with this shipping, no way international growth is possible" post.

Calsial
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Calsial » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Mobius wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:45 pm
Forar80 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:19 am
This made me think to go back for the previous campaigns, where the data is set. Some interesting stuff at a glance, for example; Canada was the second highest location for backers of KS1, but doesn't even crack the top 10 of cities (though backers were broadly spread all about, a mere 42 backers were enough to make the top 10 even with nearly 5,400 participants).

In fact, Canada has been consistently second for contribution by country, but doesn't show up in the top 10 for cities until KS4, where the less than 1,700 participants meant that a mere 15 backers were enough to get into 7th place (tenth spot was held by San Jose with just 10).

Third in KS5, and currently third in KS6, seems the Toronto contingent are a consistent bunch. While not an absolute, Seattle and LA show up pretty consistently in the top 3, if not the top 2, so good luck any that are trying to take those places.
I think a lot of the lack of Canadian cities is how backers classify themselves. The city of Toronto proper has about 3 million people, the Toronto metro area about 6 million, and Southern Ontario about 10 million. Instead of having backers from that whole 6-10 million listing themselves as being from Toronto, you'd have backers identifying themselves from Mississauga, Oshawa, Barrie, Hamilton, Burlington, etc. Montreal and Vancouver are similarly surrounded by smaller cities all within 1-2 hours of the city proper.

I think other countries like Australia either truly have super-cities with no satellite cities or have a stronger instinct to just select Syndey or Melbourne as their cities if they live nearby.
I completely agree with you! You and I would also be a perfect example of that, I'm in Ottawa and looks like you are across the river in Gatineau. We are both in the National Capital region, and probably within 20km of each other, but we would be classified as not just different cities but different provinces if they used a by province or state breakdown as well.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:11 pm

I said folks where folks are creators and backers.

I have not sent any orders over 50, that seems to be the preferred amount. Only a couple 25 orders also. No other amounts.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”