Is it Just me, or is Anyone Else a Bit Disappointed?

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Is it Just me, or is Anyone Else a Bit Disappointed?

Post by kitenerd » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:57 pm

At least they listened to all of us and got the basics right - much simpler, more affordable and stretch goals for everyone... oh, wait - no they screwed all of that up... SIGH

the good:
Everything is broken out - i want a rowboat and i want double doors, but i don't care a whit for the giant mushroom - i can get what i want!
Pledge levels without endless multiples of pieces - while confusing to understand, they got this right
Gorgeous sculpts - lets not kid ourselves - this makes KS2 look pretty boring

the bad:
Most encounters are $500 or more - i will likely get exactly ONE - unless they come up with some kinda discount on 2 rooms i will be buying only one
Lots of fiddly bits - i get that we want variety, but after the 5th time you dump them in a drawer are you going to be able to find which ledge goes with your trifecta wall?
Too many themes - and we aren't even done yet
Price - well, yeah that is what happens when you pay that many people to live the dream - i get it, but it starts to become hard to justify

I am lucky - i want very little from this KS - a few different walls and corners, a bridge, a boat and some bling (Stairway to violence if it is not god awfully expensive) - just sitting back and waiting until i have enough info to make a decision
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:30 pm

Magniopi wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:24 pm
Audles wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:20 pm
Really? Shipping isn't included this time? That makes the $10 fee for Build Your Own just straight idiotic.
I haven't even looked to see what shipping will cost, but if it's enough it can no longer be covered by the pledge I have to assume it's significant.
Having just looked at the shipping chart, I now feel the need to apologize to people outside the US.
Shipping for that Smuggler's Cove I keep looking at is an additional $9 in the US, but is an additional $65 to Canada and $130 more to the Eu/UK. OUCH.

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:29 pm

Magniopi wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:14 pm
Magniopi wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:17 pm
The sticker shock on this one has dampened my excitement a lot.

But man, when I look at the (small, hard to see) pictures of each set, I'm underwhelmed. The scenarios look awesome, but they're TINY for the cost. Check out the Smuggler's Cove. $431 painted for a single room that barely fits the rowboat--much less miniatures trying to maneuver for combat.
And I just remembered shipping isn't included this time! So $431 + shipping for a tiny cavern.

I'm surprised this isn't coming up in more comments.
From the very beginning, I was thinking that shipping cost would be an issue. However, it appears US shipping cost is approximately +2% of the painted cost, so for the example above that's $431+$9= $440. I don't see that as a deal breaker.

jazzman
Orc
Orc

Post by jazzman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm not disappointed over all. A few things missing as mentioned in some of the threads - but more pieces would be crazy at this point.

I too can't pledge until I see other packs like passages and troves. I'm not so interested in the encounters as I am extending my KS2 sets for variety and organics. It is what it is. Not willing to buy several different encounters to get a decent variety of passage pieces....

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:24 pm

Audles wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:20 pm
Really? Shipping isn't included this time? That makes the $10 fee for Build Your Own just straight idiotic.
I haven't even looked to see what shipping will cost, but if it's enough it can no longer be covered by the pledge I have to assume it's significant.
Shipping.jpg
Shipping.jpg (59.55 KiB) Viewed 1071 times

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Magniopi wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:14 pm
Magniopi wrote:

But man, when I look at the (small, hard to see) pictures of each set, I'm underwhelmed. The scenarios look awesome, but they're TINY for the cost. Check out the Smuggler's Cove. $431 painted for a single room that barely fits the rowboat--much less miniatures trying to maneuver for combat.
And I just remembered shipping isn't included this time! So $431 + shipping for a tiny cavern.

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:14 pm

Magniopi wrote:

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:10 pm

The large cavern pieces give me pause since I don't think they've totally nailed "this big piece won't be warped" this time. Heck, was looking at a buddies KSV simple door last night and it looked like it was melted from dragon's breath.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:09 pm

In the past we could have add-on packs unveil without having any stretch-goal-ification of them, so you could get the sense of scale of what you were buying or planning to buy. Right now I look at the cost for everything on the page and think, "not worth it to me for this." I know that'll change, but it's hard to want to pledge for anything right now.

Agree that they should be doing a better job of giving a sense of SCALE of each of the encounters. Right now they all look like about 1 set of KS2 to pull of with some added niceties (but nothing my players will notice).

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Post by Smogma » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:01 pm

I hate to say that I am disappointed, but I am.

There are some really great pieces (especially all those LARGE cavern pieces, the passages and other 4" pieces).

But... when I start to think about the cost per piece, I begin to question if it's even 'logical' or 'sane'.

Yeah, I'd like to have a bunch of it. Can I justify the expense? I dunno...

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”