Is it Just me, or is Anyone Else a Bit Disappointed?

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Is it Just me, or is Anyone Else a Bit Disappointed?

Post by DWChancellor » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:51 pm

I'm pretty happy Elderwood, Wyrmwood, and Reaper aren't doing much this year. Leaves more squeak into this monstrosity.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:13 pm

:lol: I am not disappointed. This may be the best ever. I never have been able to get what I want. It looks like I can get what I need.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Ken Mattson
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Ken Mattson » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:03 pm

I’m not disappointed at all, but I’m a lowish budget backer that has never thought of making large tables of DF.

My main complaint about KSV was the inability to get ‘capstone’ sculpts without buying expensive encounters. This year I’ll actually be able to get them affordably so I’m satisfied there. I build and tear down as my players progress so the essential packs work great for me. Just not sure if I should get the 1-3 pack and some add ons or the 1-6 pack which will probably leave only enough cash for a few capstones deeper in.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:45 pm

I'm still waiting to see the Forest, because all bets may be off if I really fall in love with that. I don't have the money to go big this year, so that could easily eat up my whole budget if there's even a small part of it that I want.

Assuming I have any funds left over for caverns, right now I think I'm realizing that I just have no interest in the encounters. Each encounter relies way too much on pieces that don't interest me for it to be worth it. And the Adventure Packs don't tend to feature the elements that most intrigue me. I'd want the wooden gate, the suspension bridge, the boat. Those aren't in the adventure packs. And I'd want stalagmites.

And when I look at the "core" sets, they don't particularly thrill me either. They tend to include lots of transition and passage type pieces, which are useful if you go all-in, but are a little too niche if you just want a basic core set. I'm hoping (expecting?) to see add-on sets that are more straightforward for "straight wall" or "starter cavern" or "floor set" type offerings. (Particularly for ice caverns -- not only is the encounter itself mostly made of free-standing walls and terrain trays, even the core set is dominated by passage pieces and slopes that lead to terrain trays -- it's just not what I'd want for my own ice caverns).

Don't get me wrong -- if I had $4000 to drop on this, I'd go nuts for all this stuff. But since I don't, the small sets that I do pick up have to be very basic if I expect them to see any use at all.

Forar80
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Forar80 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:32 pm

I wouldn't say that I'm completely disappointed, but this is definitely a challenging campaign to wrap ones head around.

I ran the numbers, and the basic entry point (Encounter 1) would, including conversion and shipping, run me about $10 Canadian per piece (to go down slightly as stretch goals happen, perhaps, most of the SG's applied to that encounter have been upgrades to existing LED pieces). I'm aware that we will never get the same deal we got in the early campaigns, but it's hard to look back where it was more like a buck a tile. Yes, there was massive repetition, dozens upon dozens of floors and walls and corners. Now, I'd need to take out a loan to get more than a couple of encounters, perhaps totaling up to half that many pieces all told.

Or looking at it by square inch, another controversial metric, but at a glance that same encounter covers maybe 2/3 of a square foot.

I'm sincerely not trying to just rain on the parade here. I love the sculpts, I respect that just because my budget is vastly smaller than that of many who spend thousands per year on these campaigns, doesn't mean that DF should cater to my whims. I love what they do, will continue to back (gotta get those totes, 5 and counting!), and will simply have to make the choices on what I'm willing to splurge upon for this boutique and luxury gaming item. Maybe I'll stretch and get an ice wall pack, or some dungeon ruins, once the pricing structure is announced for those.

But the size, and complexity, and cost (overall and in comparison to previous offerings, and the realities of what one is getting) do factor in. I got 2 painted sets in KS2, and even a single encounter here will let me enhance and add variety to those. Complex as they are, I like that the full/core/essentials/add ons/adventures/etc packs will add remarkable options to those looking to snip out particular pieces they want or don't want. I suppose it does tie in somewhat to the 'eternally catching up' feeling from launch, almost like the first 1-1.5m are just accepted to be, and that once we get past this second round of stretch goals and have the full pledge calculator with all the add on variety pricing in place, it'll make more sense.

It does make me wonder a little if there's some holding back on pricing out some of those, as they'll look rather anemic if we get a price of (hypothetically) $30 for a single tile or two, because the rest are found in later stretch goals?

As I've said in the past, I'm sure it'll make more sense when more pieces land and context/pricing is in place, that this is a judgement/opinion based on incomplete information, but that's all we have to work with at the moment, and it's tied to the first impression, which was a somewhat overwhelming first few hours where some info had to be sussed out or questioned in the comments to really get a grasp.

TL:DR;... words words words.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:28 pm

There were so much savings built into the free shipping, it's what each year helped me ignore markup in the webstore wasn't actually that much (and certainly not worth paying for product 1+ years before getting it). This totally changes my calculus on the project.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Arcarius2001 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:37 pm

The base looks very much like a resin piece from the resin caverns. I think from the Cavernous River and Walls set. I have it, just cannot recall which exact set it’s from.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Stairway to Violence - it is awesome but a HUGE chunk of Dwarvenite:
Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 1.28.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 1.28.26 PM.png (691.72 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
better views of bottom & top from Encounter 9
Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 1.34.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 1.34.06 PM.png (343.48 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 1.28.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 1.28.46 PM.png (655.91 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Yeah, I worry about the fiddly bits a lot. I like the versatility of basic pieces, then allows me to do A lot of very different things with the same basic components. This is the opposite. I can do a lot of different things, with a lot of highly specialized components that require certain combinations. I appreciate that some of these pieces do double duty here and there, with the trifecta pieces that can be used as standalone walls or standalone floors or ledges, but I'm still going to be hunting for the right piece in the bin and it makes organization very very difficult. You have to start using tackle boxes or craft trays instead of bins, because you can't have any storage section that has more than three pieces in it or you'll never find the right part.

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:20 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:57 pm
Stairway to violence if it is not god awfully expensive
So far, the Stairway to Violence is my favorite piece, just because of the name. I haven't seen a decent picture and haven't looked for the price, but it sounds awesome. :D

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”