Is it Just me, or is Anyone Else a Bit Disappointed?

ShaynePatrick
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Is it Just me, or is Anyone Else a Bit Disappointed?

Post by ShaynePatrick » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:23 pm

Talistran wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:42 am

Sorry, it is the overdoom paintjob? :(
I never thought of that. I sort of figured since they were unveiling it anyway, why add a "mystery" paintjob. But you're probably right. :|

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:10 pm

KS 2 has a variety of straight walls and corners which can avoid pattern repetition - KS 6 really has 2 straight walls - the new one and the trifecta one

I just think the KS 2 prices will give an affordable way to maximize coverage and take advantage of the KS 6 artistry
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

DevGuy
Orc
Orc

Post by DevGuy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:55 pm

I have a large collection of Cities, Castles and DoD (on a boat?), but was not around for KS1 or 2. As such, I don’t have any caverns terrain. Many recommend that people like me buy some KS2 tiles for coverage, then augment with KS6 “bling”.

I have to ask why, given DF are (I think) likely to offer upgraded KS6 bread and butter packs for new backers, similar to what they did with the DoD KS1 remastered sets? In my mind the DoD deprecated KS1, and Caverns deprecates much of KS2 (by deprecates I don’t mean that the older sets are no longer useful — of course they are — just that the newer sculpts are an upgrade, aesthetically speaking).

In addition the prospect of having to buy from the USA webstore is particularly unattractive due to international shipping (I‘m in Australia).

Thanks.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:26 pm

Welcome RebelDice!

Coverage is hard in this KS - especially with all the vertical builds as chunky dwarvenite gets costly quick

Take a look at Hag's Den - it is one of the larger encounters - loaded with basic pieces - GREAT extras (LED wall, double door, classic door, secret door) - if you pair That as a KS 6 pledge with a 2-3 KS 2 sets and some add on sets you will be in great shape
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Post by Phoenix Rising » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:28 pm

I do own one pack of KS2 pieces: I ordered some Stalagmites to put in with KSV negative space builds until I can get some caverns. They're so lovely!

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:14 am

William wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:38 am
I always here about chipped or dinged resin. Close to twenty of resin sets, I've never chipped one piece.
Dropped on floors and banged into each other and nothing, it's sturdier than you might think.

EDIT -
...twenty YEARS of ...
I agree, resin is more durable than given credit for. I too have many resin sets. I have chipped or broken a couple of very small pieces, like the really thin pieces from the treasure set. None of my actual building pieces has so much as a scratch. But I don't have kids, either... :)

The above said, I do like Dwarvenite better. At first I said to myself: "Plastic? Pfft!" Having played with it quite a bit, it's just better all around in weight and durability.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:55 am

William wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:38 am
I always here about chipped or dinged resin. Close to twenty of resin sets, I've never chipped one piece.
Dropped on floors and banged into each other and nothing, it's sturdier than you might think.

EDIT -
...twenty YEARS of ...
My daughter has broken a few in the span of just two years. I won't say it isn't sturdy, but it can take some pretty significant damage. For me, resin is fine for some nice pieces to plunk down but I am not interested in whole sets of it anymore. I prefer the enhanced durability of dwarvenite. Small resin sets for particularly detailed and epic stuff might entice me, but for the general stuff it is too likely to take damage in my household. YMMV, but I think it is okay to be concerned about the durability, especially if you have limited storage or are likely to need to move house a bit. I would also hazard a guess that the weather here plays a part since we get colder than Alaska some years and hotter than Arizona at times (sometimes those temps have surprisingly little time between, like saltwater air is a consideration near the coast for some materials, this area's temp swings can affect things too). My daughter even left a dwarvenite led wall outside where it got pressed into the turf and rained on. The thing still works and is undamaged.

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:42 am

ShaynePatrick wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:31 am
Phoenix Rising wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:41 am
As a non-KS2 owner, I'm actually good with this - because I'll go out to the DF store between now and next year to buy KS2 sets to expand on an Essentials 1-11 pledge. I get bling and variety without breaking the bank on what are not-so-basic pieces - even the basics here are extra detailed and not really basic. I like the varying flavors of the encounters and won't mind getting all the varieties of bling. The sole piece I don't have any use for is the water tile transition...

I'll probably bust my wallet over Crystal Cavern, but I don't need Ice Catacombs and will likely only want a subset of Underdoom. Darkhollow Forest could be cool, but might have to wait.

And, finally, the prices are not out of line with some of the resin sets, especially when you factor in the size of some of the pieces. People seem to be clamoring for those, and frankly the detail, features, and durability of the KS6 pieces exceeds what I've seen of the resin.
Phoenix, you don't own any KS2? For some reason I thought you caught the madness long ago. KS5 was the first KS I backed, but I own all of the Dwarvenite sets. It always seemed to work out that I missed the KS for 2-4, and I wanted to wait and see KS1 in my hands at GenCon before diving in. I hated the resin - not because they weren't nice pieces - but because they seemed too right angled (and more to the point, my players and I are rough on pieces, so spending (a lot when in school) for resin and then it getting dinged always made me cautious).
Before Dwarvenite I made my own pieces. You want to talk about a good selling point for DF? Make your own pieces for a while - I REALLY appreciate being able to buy painted, pre-made pieces now.

You are 100% right, the sculpts in this set are really nice. I never really cared for the Ice Caverns of old, but this time around, I'm really liking them. I'm a big fan of transitions and those pieces look great too.

I noticed there is an as-yet, unveiled paint job. I am hoping it is lava - those were my favorite pieces before.
Sorry, it is the overdoom paintjob? :(

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:38 am

EDIT -
...twenty YEARS of ...
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

ShaynePatrick
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ShaynePatrick » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:31 am

Phoenix Rising wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:41 am
As a non-KS2 owner, I'm actually good with this - because I'll go out to the DF store between now and next year to buy KS2 sets to expand on an Essentials 1-11 pledge. I get bling and variety without breaking the bank on what are not-so-basic pieces - even the basics here are extra detailed and not really basic. I like the varying flavors of the encounters and won't mind getting all the varieties of bling. The sole piece I don't have any use for is the water tile transition...

I'll probably bust my wallet over Crystal Cavern, but I don't need Ice Catacombs and will likely only want a subset of Underdoom. Darkhollow Forest could be cool, but might have to wait.

And, finally, the prices are not out of line with some of the resin sets, especially when you factor in the size of some of the pieces. People seem to be clamoring for those, and frankly the detail, features, and durability of the KS6 pieces exceeds what I've seen of the resin.
Phoenix, you don't own any KS2? For some reason I thought you caught the madness long ago. KS5 was the first KS I backed, but I own all of the Dwarvenite sets. It always seemed to work out that I missed the KS for 2-4, and I wanted to wait and see KS1 in my hands at GenCon before diving in. I hated the resin - not because they weren't nice pieces - but because they seemed too right angled (and more to the point, my players and I are rough on pieces, so spending (a lot when in school) for resin and then it getting dinged always made me cautious).
Before Dwarvenite I made my own pieces. You want to talk about a good selling point for DF? Make your own pieces for a while - I REALLY appreciate being able to buy painted, pre-made pieces now.

You are 100% right, the sculpts in this set are really nice. I never really cared for the Ice Caverns of old, but this time around, I'm really liking them. I'm a big fan of transitions and those pieces look great too.

I noticed there is an as-yet, unveiled paint job. I am hoping it is lava - those were my favorite pieces before.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”