Why is the rowboat so expensive?

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Re: Why is the rowboat so expensive?

Post by Thunder » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:59 am

I am not so focused on the individual price because I am getting it as part of one of the pledge packages.

Peace

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:11 am

Since I plan on getting that whole encounter, I have not focused on the unit price of the boat so much. However, the unique features it presents are a great boon to potential gaming situations and the ability to make it short or long is cool. I will really have to think about getting a second one for even more length options (aka small longship with multiple middle sections). It would be real cool if they would offer just boat sections in the PM...

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:22 am

It is easy to forget you can get a painted modular boat - anyone else provide this ?
Hardly surprising its expensive.

Got our eye on two of these in the PM, probably unpainted though as painting our Terrain crate Library has show that our ham-pawed painting method does decent wood :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:31 pm

Yes, the boat seems a bit pricey, but the modularity makes it useful to me. I also like its look to "play well" with minis. Any 3D boats I have seen people use in play are more toy models used just to denote a boat, with no way to use effectively in an encounter of a river ambush or a water creature attack, etc. I am willing to pay for the look, modularity, and seeming ease of use in play. I don't have any boats currently, having always used flipmats.

I do not have a large area to game, so making monster builds is not a priority over having cool looking stuff useful to play in games. Another cavern, ice or otherwise, is just more pieces to build in a sea of pieces I already have to build. My kids and I will get a lot of creative use out of this boat, with miniatures, in creating stories that some more walls and floors couldn't tell.

Infinitely easier to get this boat within a KS shipment here prepainted with great look and modularity than to search for some slightly better deal on a prepainted boat elsewhere, while spending valuable time looking for it and ordering. With all these factors to consider, for me, the DF boat is actually a bargain :-).
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:25 pm

I am getting a boat in AE 1-9. I want a second one (as well as a second bridge), but I had to make some tough choices. I might try to add another one in the PM, but there are a lot of variables to that.

If not, I will pick up a second one at retail when the ashes of my wallet have reformed. Is it expensive? A little. Is it really great? Yes.

kmj9907
Orc
Orc

Post by kmj9907 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:59 pm

I have a couple of boats already, but I really like the versatility of this one. The final package is worth it, I think.

Mobius
Orc
Orc

Post by Mobius » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:45 pm

DevGuy wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:42 pm
The boat is nice but for just $13 more you can get another starter cavern in ice...
I always think along those lines too. There's nothing DF has ever made that I disliked or thought was a bad deal. It's more of a question of liking other KS elements even more, or finding other packs to be an even better deal.

I occasionally do splurge on an item that seems pricy compared to other packs but I just find too cool to resist. I thought that might turn out to be the rowboat in this project, but potential "splurge money" is now more likely to be spent on Dreadhollow trees.

DevGuy
Orc
Orc

Post by DevGuy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:42 pm

The boat is nice but for just $13 more you can get another starter cavern in ice...

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:28 pm

But it can be used as wreck.

Stick it in the middle of a dungeon or a forest just for the lols!
Ok expensive lols but that's how versatile it is :lol:
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:15 pm

I like the boat, but, meh, I have a Grendel boat and it's fine. I don't see myself using a boat that often, even with water terrain. It's just not going to be as useful to me as some of the other things.

The same could be said of the dock, but I'm probably going to get the dock. The gangplanks could serve a thousand uses - mines in the caves! construction on ruins in the cities! And frankly, I really want to build a port town with the water terrain trays and the DoD arches and ramps - the dock would look amazing in that context. So, yeah, I gotta do it.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”