Why is the rowboat so expensive?

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Why is the rowboat so expensive?

Post by ForestZ » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:34 pm

pacarat wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:32 pm
Blood and Plunder, Freebooter’s Fate come to mind - I have several from each.
Yeah, I have a longboat and their small ship, which are nice. I also have some 3d printed rowboats that I have yet to print, from Shipworks. It was less "I want it cheaper!" and more staggering confusion at the price every time that add-on flipped by when looking through them. :P

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:33 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:13 pm
Talistran had a nice breakdown on the Lava Bridge that I think still applies to the boat:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8534&p=118306&hilit=bridge#p117696
Yup, that is pretty spot on from where I sit too. The shear number of that item produced has a huge impact on how you can spread out the sunken/fixed costs (molds, design of molds, etc.) that each item takes. I would suspect that even in their most optimistic projections they figure 1 boat per backer (and that is probably high), while many of the other parts can be made much less expensively due to shear numbers. Look at the Starter Cavern bundle. Those packs run under $3 an item. (The overall cost per item at the start of the campaign was close $4.50 an item based on the pricing spreadsheets that DF provided.) Those were painted prices.

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:32 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:13 pm
Talistran had a nice breakdown on the Lava Bridge that I think still applies to the boat:

Aha, now that's an answer I can understand. (For the record, I was never claiming DF was trying to gouge us with that, I was just boggling over the cost). But given that it's likely to be a very small production run, I can see it being more expensive given economy of scale with the other items.

I still don't think it's actually worth that price, and I would have preferred a non-modular boat for a more reasonable price, but that ship has sailed (ba dum tsss!)

Thanks AnimeSensei and Talistran for that other bit of potential insight.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:32 pm

Blood and Plunder, Freebooter’s Fate come to mind - I have several from each.

koraldon
Orc
Orc

Post by koraldon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Out of curiosity, what other comparable products are available to purchase?

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:13 pm

100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:12 pm

zenako wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:55 pm
I think part of the "complication" was ensuring that the final parts (once cooled from the mold) still had a nice tight fit between the front/middle/back portions of the boat. Making a piece that does not have to fit together tightly requires far less control on the tolerances. Those cool transition passages are the same mold used for the standard transitions, just applying a nice paint scheme to get from one to the next. It will be interesting to see how that transition works out with "factory paint jobs" and if it looks like a nice transition, or a harsh change.
Those were just the first random chunky add-on piece I found in the list. There are tons of them, all requiring complicated molds with overhangs, that don't have a special paint job and are still way cheaper.

I get the tolerances thing, I have windows inserts from KS3 that fit in some windows and not in others. But...really? > $50? Eh...if tolerances are that hard, that strikes me as a "maybe we just don't make it modular" thing.

I know I'm just complaining here. If someone wants to spend $50-60 on a rowboat, I'm not going to fault them. I just don't understand why it has to be that expensive.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:58 pm

Yeah, it's damn cool, but just not THAT cool for the price to me. Looking forward to seeing what folk do with theirs.

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:55 pm

I think part of the "complication" was ensuring that the final parts (once cooled from the mold) still had a nice tight fit between the front/middle/back portions of the boat. Making a piece that does not have to fit together tightly requires far less control on the tolerances. Those cool transition passages are the same mold used for the standard transitions, just applying a nice paint scheme to get from one to the next. It will be interesting to see how that transition works out with "factory paint jobs" and if it looks like a nice transition, or a harsh change.

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:48 pm

zenako wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:44 pm
We can hope the price is due to anticipated SG that have not been revealed yet. Also Nate did mention on a video (livestream Q&A IIRC) that it was a complicated part to mold with all the curves and protrusions with the breakapartness features.
I mean...DF obviously knows more than me about this stuff, but I honestly can't see it being more complicated than either of these pieces, and you get two of those for much less... personally, I'm not buying the "more complicated to mold" excuse (I don't know how to put that any more delicately...it just doesn't make any sense.)

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”