I may buy a bottle of the KS6 paint colors
43%
What the heck is Pokorney Paint?
3%

Total votes: 40

jdeemac

Re: Pokorny Paint KS6 colors is critical to my pledge

Post by jdeemac » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:30 pm

Switching back to the caverns...does anyone know if there is any Pokorny paint (besides Cavern Dry Brush) that better matches the KS2 factory dry brush? This information is kind of important to what I buy in KS6.

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Re: Pokorny Paint KS6 colors is critical to my pledge

Post by Rhizom » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks a lot, DevGuy and Bernileung. I will see how my self painted alleys behave compared to the factory painted. Will tell you if I face any problems :)
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Pokorney Paint KS6 colors is critical to my pledge

Post by bernyleung » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:59 pm

Rhizom wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:19 am
Does that mean, self-painted tiles could be less robust, because enamel based colours stick better in the tiles?
Not necessarily. I haven't heard any big complaints from anyone that after-market paint had trouble sticking to the tiles. HOWEVER on this website there is a list of commonly available artists' and miniature grade paints and how they feel on fresh Dwarvenite, tested by the staff. Some stay tacky so I would stay away from those***. Most of them adhere very well.

Note, also, that I don't really prep the tiles by washing them or anything. I get them out of the box and start painting. I have had no problem whatsoever with paint obviously rubbing off after storage and use. I'm not particuarly delicate with how I handle my Dwarvenite, either.

***I was referring to the tackiness of the paint, not the tackiness of the staff. Nothing you can do about the latter.

DevGuy
Orc
Orc

Post by DevGuy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Rhizom wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:19 am
Really? How do you know they use enamel in the factory? Does that mean, self-painted tiles could be less robust, because enamel based colours stick better in the tiles?
DF staff have stated so, on multiple occasions, I just don’t remember which threads/forums exactly. Try searching for the world “enamel” on the forums.

They have also said the same in KS comments, but good luck scrolling through those. If only Kickstarter hadn’t made all profiles private post-GDPR, then you’d be able to click on a KS user’s name and read through their comments (eg. GeekJeff, Nate, Knightess etc). Not many users have bothered to opt-out of the private profile.

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Post by Rhizom » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:19 am

bernyleung wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:38 am
I hate to break it to you, but the Pokorny (spelling counts!) paints will probably never match exactly to what the Chinese factory will produce, because they don't use it. They don't even use an acrylic based paint. They use an enamel based paint.
Really? How do you know they use enamel in the factory? Does that mean, self-painted tiles could be less robust, because enamel based colours stick better in the tiles?

Apart from that, I must say, for the few alley tiles I painted with the official paintjob in Pokorny paint, those match quite well with the factory painted alleys I have.
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:38 am

I hate to break it to you, but the Pokorny (spelling counts!) paints will probably never match exactly to what the Chinese factory will produce, because they don't use it. They don't even use an acrylic based paint. They use an enamel based paint. And they're not painted by robots that use AI-driven laser technology to ensure 99.99% uniformity over entire pieces. They are painted by variable people, with variable experiences, under variable conditions.

Your best chance of matching any previous paint jobs with whatever paints you use is to paint it yourself. You can get equally good results with any artist-grade acrylic paint. I've used mass-produced Golden Acrylics since Day 1 and have never had cause to regret it.

jdeemac

Post by jdeemac » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:58 pm

Thank you kodiakbear. I've watched that video several times and it uses the cavern dry brush, but it just does not match the factory paint jobs, even when I add the other colors he mentions. I was hoping there was one paint that matches it exactly.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:32 pm

jdeemac wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:11 pm
This is somewhat related...can anyone tell me what drybrush is used on the KS2 Caverns? I've used Pokorny Cavern Dry Brush, but it is way too white. I suspect it is the Olive drybrush, but I don't own it to verify.

Does anyone know what drybrush color is used on the KS2 Caverns?
Try this link
https://shop.dwarvenforge.com/pages/cav ... techniques

jdeemac

Post by jdeemac » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:11 pm

This is somewhat related...can anyone tell me what drybrush is used on the KS2 Caverns? I've used Pokorny Cavern Dry Brush, but it is way too white. I suspect it is the Olive drybrush, but I don't own it to verify.

Does anyone know what drybrush color is used on the KS2 Caverns?

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:34 pm

my New paint arrived to day. I like the wood!

OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”