Stowaways!

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Stowaways!

Post by GardenDM » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:52 am

I love this thread because it highlights my favorite thing about the past three Kickstarters that has continued here - interoperability!

Obviously static knick-nacks are always interchangeable, but DF has put a ton of thought and effort into making it possible to mix the more complex pieces across the product lines. LED wall pieces, LED plug-in floor pieces, LED floor toppers, magnetic walls and accessories, trapped floors, elevation, negative space, post holes and pieces, etc., etc.

And yes, I'm seriously considering buying several boats, snagging the extra dragon heads, and selling the rest of the boats. I neeeeeed more dragon heads!

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:38 am

Exactly the line of reasoning I have been using on picking and choosing packs to add. How will they play with other settings, especially "mountains". The Ruins were a quick yes due to the many synergy locations, bad portions of a dungeon, collapsed portions of a castle keep, etc etc.

That is also why will probably steer clear of getting too much Ice, Crystal or Doom. Most of those have more limited synergy for my games.

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by DWChancellor » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:47 am

MrMorden wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:45 am
"Quick chum, to the Hag Cave!"

Naa-naa-naa-naa, naa-naa-naa-naa...
You've made my day.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:00 am

William wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:00 am
Yes, to those bridge and furniture uses. I see the dock as a stage or wood floor section and I will definitely use the bone piles everywhere, but especially in the catacombs. The boat's prow dragon head can be used in a lot of different places as Nate mentioned. How can we get four of them without four whole boats? Gargoyles too without so many flags?

The hole in the 2x2 floor tile can also be used in "other than caverns" layouts quite nicely. The sloped banks could be used to shift 12mm in level without a step. But I fear the roughness of them might clash a bit, unless it's a run-down section of town. ;)

EDIT - Your post came in before I could post...
...................."What is this thing you call a BOX?"
How about this 3 point plan?
Buy the boats, sell the boats, keep the dragons.

Think there will be a good second hand market for boats as midsections will be in demand to make long boats.

Not sure what a BOX is but thinking its quite large and you don't want it falling on you.

The box however is a state of being, has also been referred to as a gourd. To which the very few enlightened beings can extricate themselves from normality into the maelstrom of chaos that is Tangental to established thought processes.

Hope that clears things up.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:45 am

"Quick chum, to the Hag Cave!"

Naa-naa-naa-naa, naa-naa-naa-naa...

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by DWChancellor » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:09 am

I like that the banks are a good floor-height elevation piece. I've been working more elevation in because its fun to build and give more interest visually. The hollow elevation blocks are neat too since they can make for pits and such.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:00 am

Yes, to those bridge and furniture uses. I see the dock as a stage or wood floor section and I will definitely use the bone piles everywhere, but especially in the catacombs. The boat's prow dragon head can be used in a lot of different places as Nate mentioned. How can we get four of them without four whole boats? Gargoyles too without so many flags?

The hole in the 2x2 floor tile can also be used in "other than caverns" layouts quite nicely. The sloped banks could be used to shift 12mm in level without a step. But I fear the roughness of them might clash a bit, unless it's a run-down section of town. ;)

EDIT - Your post came in before I could post...
...................."What is this thing you call a BOX?"
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:48 am

Law wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:11 am
Anyone else reminding themselves that some pieces might be awesome - even if they don't feel necessary to a cavern?
This is how we viewed DoD and this KS - where can I use this stuff overground or in existing environments

Law wrote:

The hag's study furniture. Frankly, it perplexed me. A desk in a cave? Is she ... Evil fantasy Batman? But when I think about how awesome it would be to place those items in a small round tower, or in a round chamber of the DoD - I admit, that's super exciting.
We saw these items and immediately thought of your DoD builds with the libraries etc. And how cool they would look in Cities and Castles

Law wrote:

The doors. Okay, the crude wooden gate is pretty exciting - it's something I hadn't even thought of before, a sign of an inhabited cave! Players stumbling upon signs of primitive (and violent!) society in a cavern, that's a game changer. But the whole assortment of doors - I was pretty meh. Don't need doors in caves. But when I think about placing them in a dungeon, or using them in a transition between the two... Cool. (Also, I admit I like the idea of using the secret door with the banks and dock - a little beachfront somewhere, and what appears to be just cliffs - with a secret cave hidden by a boulder, with pirate treasure....!)
:lol: was thinking this yesterday what a great transition from a castle or dungeon to an old forgotten cavern

Law wrote:
(Plus, apologies for the blasphemy and all, but - am I the only one looking at the secret door and thinking "Dwarven Forge Easter diorama!"?)
errrr........yes.....?
Law wrote:
Finally, I'm also thinking the banks could really look cool in a city. I've already been imagining how to use terrain trays with my cities - create a harbor with water trays and line the street with arches. Maybe place an acid tray under a street for a broken sewer main. But now I'm picturing using the water trays along the edge of a city with the dock and the boat and the banks for a full port/seaside town. Just - very cool.
Oh yeah :) banks are on our radar whether part of an encounter or a pack - several packs.
We have some Pedion terrain tiles that banks would be perfect to link to negative terrain

Liking your out the box thought processes Law.

We have been out the box for a long while now.....some say too long......
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:35 am

I like the wood bridge. I can see using it with outside set ups. Also I can see using one of the middle breakaway parts of the bridge as a wooden raft.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:19 am

2000 year old mystery, solved. ;)
Praise the Lord.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”