A warning from History.......

artcwolf
Goblin
Goblin

Re: A warning from History.......

Post by artcwolf » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:20 am

The problem with these big Extra items is for people like me with a $500 budget. I either can get the dressing packs that they've never offered for caverns and dungeons (I missed KS3 and KS4) or i get only trees. If i don't get them painted i can get both, but i'll never paint them. but i really suck at small item painting I can't imaging me painting the forest floor and i haven't painted the KS1 and 2 stuff.

I wish i had the kind of budgets you guys have.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:26 am

Calsial don't worry about derailing the thread with creative ideas :)

But as penalty you must post pictures of ALL your builds here in the forum :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:14 am

Oh and +1000 to a Forest expansion next year. I would love to see it!

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:37 am

I'd love this. The resin MBS was great for this kind of thing, and it could be combined so well with dungeons. It was awesome.

Stefan has said he doesn't like it and he sees the Tudor/wood from KS3 as a replacement. I ... do not. I'd love to see what they could do with MBE on a KS....

gdmcbride
Goblin
Goblin

Post by gdmcbride » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:33 am

There are a lot of great ideas in this thread. A "Wonders of Valoria" set would be something I would love.

Personally, I would love to see a set that allows me to build a beautiful modular tavern. A great place for a bar fight or for assassins to strike as you try to rest after assaulting the evil temple. Not just the generic (and honestly a little boring) City Builder but something really full of character.

I want it to have:
A magnetic board to put on the wall full of wanted posters and advertising for work.
A secret door in the hidden in the cellar open by pulling a candle stick (a sliding wall and a built in candle 'switch' perhaps)
A richly decorated deluxe suite where the visiting nobles stay.
A variety of furniture for the normal rooms.
Flophouse bunks for a common sleeping area.
A meeting table ornamented with a map weighed down by a dagger and a pint of ale.
A stage where the local bard entertains the crowd.
A kitchen area where the food is made.
The heads of many monsters mounted on the wall, slain by tavern regulars or even the owner before they retired.
A magnetic dagger throwing target.
A dark booth to hold a clandestine meeting with a mysterious stranger.
A stable to put your horses and carriages.
A selection of horses each adorned with adventuring gear or equipment ... each with character
Same treatment for the noble's carriage.

An upgrade pack to give the bar a nautical theme (a ship's wheel and a fish mounted on the wall, etc.).
An upgrade pack to give the bar a dwarven theme (a shrine to a dwarven god, dwarven sized furniture and a dwarven brewing setup).
An upgrade pack to make the bar a dangerous bandit hangout. Daggers driven into the bar and tables. A fallen person (drunk? dead?) to decorate the floor. Stolen treasures and trade goods taken from the last caravan job.

A tavern is a classic setting for D&D. I want something as cool as the Stoic Arms but completely modular and playable.

That would be completely awesome.

G

blinky
Orc
Orc

Post by blinky » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:46 am

Buy what you want that suits your requirements for now.

However, I would not buy anything on the assumption that the next KS will expand that set.
That's based on my:
KS1 being superseded by KS5 classic.
KS2 water tiles now negative space
KS2 lava ...
KS2 burrows (wicked editions) - KS5 burrows
KS3 battlements superseded by KS4 castles

I'm happy with my DF and intend to getting more. I'll focus on sets that add to what I have or buy new complete themes. However, I would not back any purchases that are based on getting an expansion set during the next KS.

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Post by combs1ng » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Sounds great Calsial. I like your thoughts you laid out above. And you'll definitely have to post the ziggurat once it's built.
"The price of wisdom is eternal thought." - Frank Birch

Calsial
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Calsial » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:10 pm

combs1ng wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 am
I love it, where can I buy it?! If you don't already, you need to build your own world with some of those named elements. I believe I may have to borrow the Cathedral of the Dawn Mother and quite possibly the Ruins of Summerglen.
Thanks! I put that together as a listing that could demonstrate various changes in building tiles, my campaigns are actually much more convoluted in details and setting.

If you are actually serious, once all of it has arrived, my plan was to build a "the Black Ziggurat" in the middle of the central square of my newest campaign for my players, I could share that build on here and some of its backstory once it is completed.

PS- My apologies to my contribution that kinda added to derailing this thread. I do love to brainstorm for campaign settings!

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Post by combs1ng » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 am

Calsial wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:08 pm
If I was them I would set it up as a Mysteries of Mythas and have it tell a story going something like this:

1) CBS expansion, the Flying Flagon Inn. This includes tavern accessories, tables, beds and new ways of building larger building and new roof pieces etc. This could also be a good way to introduce character packs for getting the Nate, Stefan, dog, etc miniatures. This is also the perfect place to kick off the old AD&D 1E trope of you all met at the bar... seeking a legendary war hammer which was wielded by Dwaven the Destroyer leading to...

2) Continuation of the CBS expansion theme, the Central Market of the Grand City of Valoria. New sculpts of storefronts, tents, signposts, lantern posts, decor. Additional bling pieces such as villager packs, and wagons with produce etc. Hearing rumors that the war hammer was built by someone from Valoria, you head to the markets to ask around.

3) Ongoing CBS expansion, the Grand Library of Mythas. New sculpts potential for circular new CBS pieces, stained glass windows, grand chambers, runic tomes, various LED bling enchantments. From clues gathered in the markets from the mysterious merchant, the party goes to the grand library for answers to the doom crystals.

4) Final CBS expansion, the Cathedral of the Dawn Mother. New sculpts of altars, benches and relics. New roof pieces, a Bell Tower, additional stained glass windows and the design of a grand CBS building with Curves. This also allows for a shift in dungeon like accessories that could be less on the surface evil to give a new sort of theme. At this point in the story, the heroes are getting closer learning of the entrance to the dark catacombs that the cathedral was built to seal.

Now we transition to the catacombs which is a like another new take on dungeons.

5) Halls of the Dead. Basically new dungeon tiles in a crypt theme.

6) Maze of Madness. A way to add new traps and good coverage for a new backer without much dungeon tiles. Prior backers can use this for an update to their traps from DoD or enjoy a new decorative theme for dungeons.

7) The Gates of the Abyss. A grand DoD style large encounter with a giant doorway to DOOOM. Lots of evil and doomy seals and LED bling.

8) Into the Abyss. A grand negative space with lots of elevation in a hellscape encounter with demons. The possibilities for sculpts here will delight the artists at DF for sure.

Now we transition to the new take on caverns, this will be smaller since we just did that.

9) The path of Fire, an underground tunnel with a crimson magma theme.

10) Escape from the underdark, this is a catch up encounter for new backers to get a bunch of cavern pieces and longtime backers who may want some additional cavern pieces.

11) The lair of the Frozen Terror, a re-visit to the frost theme caverns as an epic dragon's lair complete with white dragon mini.

Now we transition to wilderness

12) The haunted forest of the dark morass. Forest and swamp theme. Expands on the forests, but still allows for some of the old sculpts to be used for folks that want more.

13) The ruins of Summerglen, this allows for a variety of ruins pieces from CBS, Castles and even DoD, as well as dead trees, and the new terrain tiles of farmland and country roads.

14) The Frozen Peaks of Erinthor, a new take on Erinthor mountain and introduction of snowy forests and terrain

Finally we transition to a revisit to Castles with:

15) The Obsidian Fortress, a new take on Erinthor mountains as volcanic with a Pyromancer's fortress of doom which is 3 towers and built into the side of a volcano and the forge of souls at its heart.

Just a spitball set of ideas which shows just how easily an little bit of everything could work as a campaign. The beauty of this is that it could also potentially function as a re-order of older sets and pieces for new and old backers alike giving Dwarven Forge an idea of the needs and wants of the webstore from the customers themselves!
I love it, where can I buy it?! If you don't already, you need to build your own world with some of those named elements. I believe I may have to borrow the Cathedral of the Dawn Mother and quite possibly the Ruins of Summerglen.
"The price of wisdom is eternal thought." - Frank Birch

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Post by Rhizom » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:40 am

DevGuy wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:27 pm
They agreed to 50/50, but Caverns pushed aboveground out to KS7, save for Dreadhollow. +1 for forests next year.

They are also talking about expanding forests next yr anyway.
Which is to say, there’s a good chance DF will have much more aboveground variety next year. The current trees are great, but samey, something that will very likely be addressed in KS7.
I agree that there is a chance, but I don't think it i very likely just because they talk about KS7 being wilderness, now. A year is long, and they will make up their minds again after KS6. There will be a lot of discussion and in the end they will agree on what they think brings most money, not necessarily what they talked about before.
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”