Trying to work out elevation

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Trying to work out elevation

Post by Law » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:48 am

I will use cliffs in some places. But I'm not wild about relying on them extensively because (a) they're expensive, and (b) they don't have flow stone and stalagmites sculpted on them.

I'll probably use them in conjunction with the stairway to violence base. I'm not entirely sure how yet, need them in hand. But elevation blocks coupled with that and maybe a cliff extension out to one or both sides of it.. Something like that.

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:21 pm
But we are confident that using Cavern Cliffs and Erinthor mountains we will be able to create some spectacular builds using the natural bridges especially if coupling with Stairways - current plan is two of each.
That's what I'm banking on. I'm ordering two cave cliff packs in addition to the cliff pieces that come with Adventure Essentials 1-9, rather than a second Erinthor set. I'm going all in on elevation and negative space building.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:21 pm

This is difficult without the pieces in your hand.

But we are confident that using Cavern Cliffs and Erinthor mountains we will be able to create some spectacular builds using the natural bridges especially if coupling with Stairways - current plan is two of each.

The 2 large stairway sculpts (especially the bottoms would make good 'sides' to your cave mouth.

Its a good shout about the trifecta ledges and the walls could be used as cliffs too. Have them in my want list as can see them being used in mountain builds.

also banks will help making any rocky build look more organic when used ontop of flat rocky surfaces.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Trying to work out elevation

Post by Law » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Mostly the natural bridge. The cliffs seem straightforward enough (hope they work on floors as well as they do on terrain trays!) and the ramp and riser and similar pieces are also pretty clear.

But I've got several questions about the natural bridge.

What's the best way to connect the curved bridge organically to a higher level? On Mushroom Gorge it kinda looks like the raised area just drops off at a straight line, with the bridge awkwardly just kinda there. Is there a way to make the edge of that raised area, the cliff, have a more natural flow and swell, maybe even to integrate the bridge so it feels more natural?

If I use the hinged bridge, it seems to be a block, a full square. So it will meet wonderfully against a full square cliff. But, again, there's an awkward 90 degree square now instead of a naturally flowing cliff. What could I do on either side of the bridge to make sure the upper level isn't just a straight line with a single square jutting out?

Finally - I notice that the bridge forms a kind of awesome cave, particularly if you use two of the hinged pieces to create it (then you get a full square overhead plus it's symmetrical). But what should be behind the bridge pieces, what's the best stuff to use to create the "wall" of the cave that they're forming the entrance of? Just straight walls? Would that look okay? Is there something better?

The new stuff seems to invite all sorts of possibility, but there are better and worse ways to use it. I don't want just a stack of blocks, cluttered and clumsy. I want something that looks like a whole. I want to use this bridge as a way to move from one level to the next, but I don't want it to look inorganic. Making the ground rise up organically seems easy, with the risers and textured floors. But making the edge of a cliff, making the upper level floor, flow - that seems tricky. Use of the trifecta pieces seems key here - place them upside down, with a regular floor at the bottom, then a swell wall, then the trifecta floor on top, level with the upper level floor pieces. Maybe the concave cliff could be used, too, capped off with the trifecta ledge that matches up to it.

Trying to identify other ways to do this.