Re: I have been running The Shrine of Skyss Ryssa 1 off

Post by raminad » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:31 am

Very cool. Thank you.

Cookiesandart
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Cookiesandart » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:45 pm

The town is also super happy, nothing has affected it for years and years...it’s basically the shire!

Cookiesandart
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Cookiesandart » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:33 pm

And pictures if I can figure them out...

Cookiesandart
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Cookiesandart » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:22 pm

Yeah Nate is a great DM so is Stefan!

Adventure levels 1-3 depending on what you want!

So the Shrine of Skyss Ryssa starts with a sort of Dungeon Crawl Classics stylenof PC. For those unaware that means the PC’s have no magic really, aren’t strong and low HP and very weak....it’s hilarious and very fun old school of playing DnD. They also get an occupation and a weapon, there is a table to roll on for all that stuff...ANYWAYS!

I roll up their level 0 people which is just three d6 rolls for each stat. Put modifiers on and then they all have AC 10 and HP 4. They then play Rock Paper Scissors all together, and as each one is eliminated they get a pre-gen level 0. I tell them that their character should be a father/mother, uncle/aunt or surrogate something for the PC. They work on that for a little and then the story starts!

There is a town with all the basics, a tiny church, a school, farms, a tavern of course (it’s called the spotted toad) and ran by an old man named Ertus! Raspy old bloke who knows everyone in town! There’s a band of children that are brothers and sisters that play some nights, they are called the “Skizzle Kids”.

I have people perform their jobs and I improv either patrons coming to their stores or dealing with them and their character in someway, whether I’m a wife or child or a guy coming or the hunter for some leather for my leather and wares shop.

At night...wherever they are...little Charlie Olecart comes running and opening the door of wherever the pc’s are ala Kramer from Seinfeld style warning of the green people coming into town. Burning trees in the forest, crops in the fields and buildings and farms.

The people playing their pc’s usually and have always risen to action to fight off the green humanoid lizard like monstrosities! One thing leads to another and the outcome is always the same...the pc’s always die...once the last one falls we start explaining what transpired the rest of that night and over the next couple of decades/decade...whatever feels right! Some characters age differently in DnD so try to be as fair as I can with aging the children pc’s! Usually people are good at creating and weaving the story to their already created pc’s they wanted to play.

Also the lizards fight with ac 10 hp 8
+1 to hit and deal 1d4 damage

There is always a lizard shaman ac:12 hp20 that makes the characters roll a dc constitution check 10 and if they fail it send a poisonous blast 1d6 at the pc when it attacks.

I’ll fill in chapter two in a bit.

raminad
Kobold
Kobold

Post by raminad » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:34 pm

No I haven't but...Brilliant idea and second the motion of pictures/details!

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by DWChancellor » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:44 pm

That's a very cool idea. Nate really understands how to play to an audience, something a lot of other display games and streamers miss. Jerry Holkins (and Chris Perkins at PAX) also demonstrate the difference between playing to an audience and playing what a lot of us experience in run of the mill home games. Its a theatrical approach.

In some ways Critical Role feels more like a radio drama; it doesn't have a "stage" presence in the same way Nate's antics or Jerry's timing do. Different approaches both from the acting side of the 'verse!

Just before parenthood I dumped a huge amount of time into a "video-game boss" campaign where each session was a big boss fight designed to feel and play like a different video game. Very like Krahulik's Wizard Kart and Wizard Unknown games which were AWESOME.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:25 pm

Welcome to the forums!

We'd love pics and a synopsis!

HUZZAH!
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Cookiesandart
Kobold
Kobold

I have been running The Shrine of Skyss Ryssa 1 off

Post by Cookiesandart » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:30 pm

I don't know who tuned into the first reveal of Cavern's Deep at D&D Beyond Origins a couple months ago...but I loved seeing the encounters, the character Skyss Ryssa and the idea of the Lizardfolk banding together and ruining the world. I watched the live stream of Nate's game a couple times and turned it into a full 1 off for my friends.

Number one...I love Nate's DM style and i had to steal the theatrics of it all, number two, the whole idea of the caverns and everything was great and I could make the encounter work with what I had from Dwarven Forge already and with things I have made as being a Dungeons and Dragons terrain crafter a long time ago.

Has anyone else ran one off's from live streams that they enjoyed, like the PAX Aquisitions Incorporated plays or perhaps the Critical Role One off's?

Also...has anyone used SKyss Ryssa yet or done the same thing I did?

I came up with a whole intro for the events that happened before Nate's particular story that involves people playing different PC's in a town where there the players PC's are just mere children at the time...the calm before the storm. If anyone is curious how my little adventure module goes or what I have done I'd share.

I just ran it for three people the other night, one guy is an animator in Los Angeles that always wanted to play Dungeons and dragons...he is now hooked apparently....so huzzah Dwarven Forge! You made another Role Playing fan!

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”